The Charter/Disney Conflict Touches On A Larger Issue Washington Should Be Concerned Over!

JimofPennsylvan

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2007
Our elected officials in Washington should do more to establish fair and good prices for TV programing for the American consumer. Currently Charter Communications and Disney are in a big negotiation showdown over the pricing Charter needs to pay for Disney programming; currently Charter is a cable TV provider and is threatening to get out of the industry unless Disney agrees to their terms. Our representatives in Washington should be looking at this overall issue from the standpoint that we as a government should be seeing that our nation's families have fair and reasonable pricing for TV programing. Representatives shouldn't want American families to have the burden of signing up and paying for an abundance of streaming services; they should want the industry to provide good programming "bundles" at affordable rates for the American people whether it be from cable or satellite dish providers or internet bundle service providers. I don't no how the government can justify forcing all the programming companies to provide "all" their programming to bundle providers at a fair and low rate. But I think the government does have a legitimate basis for forcing the program providers for all news and all live sports at providing their programing content at fair prices. The media programming because it aids and facilitates American citizens becoming informed citizens about the world and knowledgeable citizens that can make well informed judgments when voting for candidates and on referendum issues on ballots! The Federal government also has justification for requiring that "live sports" programming be required to be provided because people being able to view their local sports team or a favorite collegiate team connects people to their community it unifies communities and creates support for communities, and it provides a valuable resource for promoting good mental health for people generally by providing an outlet for getting relief from life's stresses and fostering good emotional health! At what prices government should mandate these content providers provide their content is rather unclear maybe the process needs to start with what are these content providers costs. I am sure that if elected officials tried to establish some good public policy here the lobbyists for the TV programming companies would use all their weapons excuse me tools to block this effort, nevertheless if elected officials do their duty they would take some legislative action here because what our nation will be seeing here is wealthy Americans receiving a broad selection of programming because they can afford to pay for it and mainstream Americans getting slim or troubling lacking pickings on programing and this won't be a good America our government will have failed our people!

Our elected officials in Washington should do more to establish fair and good prices for TV programing for the American consumer. Currently Charter Communications and Disney are in a big negotiation showdown over the pricing Charter needs to pay for Disney programming; currently Charter is a cable TV provider and is threatening to get out of the industry unless Disney agrees to their terms. Our representatives in Washington should be looking at this overall issue from the standpoint that we as a government should be seeing that our nation's families have fair and reasonable pricing for TV programing. Representatives shouldn't want American families to have the burden of signing up and paying for an abundance of streaming services; they should want the industry to provide good programming "bundles" at affordable rates for the American people whether it be from cable or satellite dish providers or internet bundle service providers. I don't no how the government can justify forcing all the programming companies to provide "all" their programming to bundle providers at a fair and low rate. But I think the government does have a legitimate basis for forcing the program providers for all news and all live sports at providing their programing content at fair prices. The media programming because it aids and facilitates American citizens becoming informed citizens about the world and knowledgeable citizens that can make well informed judgments when voting for candidates and on referendum issues on ballots! The Federal government also has justification for requiring that "live sports" programming be required to be provided because people being able to view their local sports team or a favorite collegiate team connects people to their community it unifies communities and creates support for communities, and it provides a valuable resource for promoting good mental health for people generally by providing an outlet for getting relief from life's stresses and fostering good emotional health! At what prices government should mandate these content providers provide their content is rather unclear maybe the process needs to start with what are these content providers costs. I am sure that if elected officials tried to establish some good public policy here the lobbyists for the TV programming companies would use all their weapons excuse me tools to block this effort, nevertheless if elected officials do their duty they would take some legislative action here because what our nation will be seeing here is wealthy Americans receiving a broad selection of programming because they can afford to pay for it and mainstream Americans getting slim or troubling lacking pickings on programing and this won't be a good America our government will have failed our people!
Disney is in a slow collapse. It is in no position to even ask for anything. Sports should be bundled on it own. I don't watch any sports and don't want to pay for any.

The internet is an information superhighway so we should treat it that way. Like roads, the government should own it and access should be free to all. Taxes would pay for the upkeep but any person or group could provide content, the terms would be between them and the customer. The gov't should not mandate content

The government seldom fixes anything, let alone makes it more affordable. It was the government letting cable have monopolies that has made TV so expensive to begin with. The market will sort it out.

Paragraphs are your friend.

This post is unreadable.

The government seldom fixes anything, let alone makes it more affordable. It was the government letting cable have monopolies that has made TV so expensive to begin with. The market will sort it out.
Would you prefer every road was a toll road? There are some fundamental things that belong to everyone, e.g., the electromagnetic spectrum, roads, the internet, etc. The other thing that is fundamental to government is the setting of standards. Roads are standard so every car will work on every road, even though the gov't doesn't make cars or should it.

Would you prefer every road was a toll road? There are some fundamental things that belong to everyone, e.g., the electromagnetic spectrum, roads, the internet, etc. The other thing that is fundamental to government is the setting of standards. Roads are standard so every car will work on every road, even though the gov't doesn't make cars or should it.

Apparently you don't understand government sanctioned monopolies. Those cable lines don't belong to "everyone" which is why TV has been allowed to become so expensive--very limited competition. Now that high speed broadband, fiber, and the like are allowing people to bypass the monopoly model, TV providers are losing their shit. The government isn't introducing the competition. The market is. #RIPXfinity

Apparently you don't understand government sanctioned monopolies. Those cable lines don't belong to "everyone" which is why TV has been allowed to become so expensive--very limited competition. Now that high speed broadband, fiber, and the like are allowing people to bypass the monopoly model, TV providers are losing their shit. The government isn't introducing the competition. The market is. #RIPXfinity
Apparently you don't understand me. The cable/fiber lines should belong to everyone and the companies can compete to offer content.

Apparently you don't understand me. The cable/fiber lines should belong to everyone and the companies can compete to offer content.

Cable lines don't work that way. They can't carry a plethora of providers. Fiber will eventually but unless the cable companies change their business model, that same fiber is going to allow people to stream crap for free through the web and render Xfinity obsolete except to the extent they provide fiber.

I use a digital antenna and it works well, I can pull in several stations. Not sure why you need the government haggle with the price of antennas.

The rest is just extra and the government needs to butt out of it. There are tons and tons of options out there, digital TV would get you your live sports, not sure why you think we are entitled to such nonsense.

Cable lines don't work that way. They can't carry a plethora of providers. Fiber will eventually but unless the cable companies change their business model, that same fiber is going to allow people to stream crap for free through the web and render Xfinity obsolete except to the extent they provide fiber.
It may be that wireless and mesh technologies may make all cable and fiber obsolete.

Cable service is so 20th Century ... why not go to the aerodrome and take a dirigible to Siam ...

I get ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox and PBS all for free ... and each of those five providers broadcast over four channels each ... 20 channels plus maybe a dozen more local varieties ...

What has me rolling on the ground laughing to tears is the OP wants the Gubbermint to make TV producers put out better content ... for that we'll need non-union writers ... because the content is better while the writers have been on strike ... but that's not until we get a non-union gubbermint ... 'cuase unions can't govern ...

Forum List

Back