The USMB Cookbook

Hot buttered rum:

Butter
brown sugar
nutmeg
(optional)cinnamon

take a stick of butter, mix it with about 2/3 c of brown sugar, add nutmeg and cinnamon.

Bring some water to a boil, pour a little (1/2 cup) in the bottom of a mug, put a good chunk (2 TB at least) of the mix in there
stir until melted
Add lots of rum. Zap it if it's not hot enough (some of us like more rum than others).

Mmmm.

Carbonnade A La Flamande - Belgian Beef Beer And Onion Stew Recipe

Ingredients
  • 3 1/2 lbs boneless chuck roast or blade steak, trimmed and cut in 1-inch cubes
  • Salt and pepper
  • 4-6 T vegetable oil
  • 2 lbs yellow onions (about 3 medium), halved and sliced about 1/4-inch thick (about 8 cups)
  • 1 T tomato paste
  • 2 medium cloves garlic, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 tsp)
  • 3 T all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 c low-sodium chicken broth
  • 3/4 c low-sodium beef broth
  • 12 ounce bottle or can of dark or amber ale. (O'Doul's amber non-alcoholic beer works fine)
  • 4 sprigs fresh thyme, tied with kitchen twine
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 T cider vinegar

Directions
  1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position; heat oven to 300 degrees. Dry beef thoroughly with paper towels, then season generously with salt and pepper. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat until beginning to smoke; add about one-third of beef to pot. Cook without moving pieces until well browned, 2 to 3 minutes; using tongs, turn each piece and continue cooking until second side is browned, about 5 minutes longer. Transfer browned beef to medium bowl. Repeat with additional oil and remaining beef. (If drippings in bottom of pot are very dark, add about 1/2 cup of the above-listed chicken or beef broth and scrape pan bottom with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits; pour liquid into bowl with browned beef, then proceed.)
  2. Add 1 T oil to the now-empty Dutch oven; reduce heat to medium-low. Add onions, 1/2 tsp salt and tomato paste; cook, scraping bottom of pot with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits, until onions have released some moisture, about 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are lightly browned, 12 to 14 minutes.
  3. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
  4. Add flour and stir until onions are evenly coated and flour is lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
  5. Stir in broths, scraping pan bottom to loosen browned bits; stir in beer, thyme, bay and vinegar. Add browned beef with any accumulated juices. Salt and pepper to taste. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to full simmer, stirring occasionally.
  6. Cover partially, then place pot in oven. Cook until fork inserted into beef meets little resistance, about 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
  7. Discard thyme and bay. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over buttered egg noodles or mashed potatoes. Can be cooled and refrigerated in airtight container for up to 4 days; reheat over medium-low heat.
Goes wonderfully with a side of Xotoxi's Dry Cheerios.

I got one simple tip, next time you make a roast put a can of pepsi in with it. It makes it tender with a good taste.

I've had roast cooked in a crockpot with 2 ltrs of pepsi in it. It was very very good.

Pumpkin Spice Cake

I use 2 small disposable 8-in or so square cake pans (or whatever they're called) for this:

1 spice cake mix
1 small can of pumpkin
3 eggs
A little less water than called for in the recipe...the batter should be pretty thick, not runny
A little bit of pumpkin pie spice (though the spice cake mix will have enough if you don't have it. The extra makes it spicier, some ppl like, some don't).

I divide the batter between the two pans, makes for fairly thin cakes, but that way we can eat one and frost one and give it to someone else.

I like cream cheese frosting on it. My daughter likes it plain. My son likes frosting.

You can make it without the recipe, but it seems like last time I made it I found a recipe for it on either the pumpkin can or the mix box, and there were a couple of variations. And that one was really good, too.

But if you happen to just have a can of pumpkin and a spice cake mix, and you don't want to mess with it, you can just throw it together and it is is REALLY yummy.

It also makes killer cupcakes. Takes a while to cook, though.

mmmm
anything made with pumpkin is my favorite. I think it is because I was an october baby. lol
I also love pumpkin mousse.

Chicken Fettucini

Chicken breasts
Full container of sliced white mushrooms (I don't know if that's 8 oz? 16 oz?)
1/4 lb butter (at least)
Whipping cream
Fettucini noodles
Grated parmesan (bottled kind will do, the kind that's actually grated is better)
Garlic (again, you can use powder but don't put it in until the end. Fresh is better.)

Chopped green onions
Chopped tomatoes
More grated parmesan to top

Heat skillet. Put in about 2 tbsps of butter and then the chicken breasts. When they're just starting to brown on one side (not too brown or it will be tough) turn and start to cut, in pan, while cooking, into bite-size pieces. Add more butter or oil as needed, cook until done or almost done all the way through.

Add more butter, add all the mushrooms. Let them cook down a little. A BIG pan is best if you're using like 3 chicken breasts and a full container of mushrooms. If not, the mushrooms will weep and you'll end up with a lot of juice that is just mushroom juice. It doesn't hurt anything, but will make your color funky in the end. So if you get that, once they cook down, pour off most of that. Add sliced or crushed garlic to taste. To make it really good, once you've done that let the bottom of the pan start to brown and de-glaze with some white wine. Otherwise, just add a little more butter.

Pour in whipping cream, at least a pint. If that's not enough add some half & half or a LITTLE milk. YOu don't want to water it down much or it won't thicken. Turn the heat waaay down, so it's just staying warm.

Oh yeah, before you start all this put your water on and boil your noodles. Don't want to forget that.

Add Parmesan cheese and stir so it doesn't separate and look funky, and salt & pepper to taste (you won't need much salt..I love salt but between the chicken, the wine and the cheese, it's pretty salty already) (Do salt your noodles).

I've served it a couple of ways...just spoon it on top of hot noodles and sprinkle chopped green onions, tomatoes, and grated parmesan on the top...or toss the noodles with the onions and tomatoes, then spoon the sauce over that and sprinkle. Either way, it's killer.

Serve with whatever kind of bread you like. Garlic bread with it can be a lot of garlic, which is good if you like it. Plain rolls are good too. Twists, baguettes, whatever. Serve salad & antipasto before.

I have a great tip for when you fry fish. They taste alot better and are much easier to eat if you scale them first! Seems to cook faster too.

Chicken Fettucini

Chicken breasts
1/4 lb butter (at least)
Whipping cream
Fettucini noodles
Grated parmesan (bottled kind will do, the kind that's actually grated is better)
Garlic (again, you can use powder but don't put it in until the end. Fresh is better.)

Chopped green onions
Chopped tomatoes

Heat skillet. Put in about 2 tbsps of butter and then the chicken breasts. When they're just starting to brown on one side (not too brown or it will be tough) turn and start to cut, in pan, while cooking, into bite-size pieces. Add more butter or oil as needed, cook until done or almost done all the way through.

Add more butter, add all the mushrooms. Let them cook down a little. A BIG pan is best if you're using like 3 chicken breasts and a full container of mushrooms. If not, the mushrooms will weep and you'll end up with a lot of juice that is just mushroom juice. It doesn't hurt anything, but will make your color funky in the end. So if you get that, once they cook down, pour off most of that. Add sliced or crushed garlic to taste. To make it really good, once you've done that let the bottom of the pan start to brown and de-glaze with some white wine. Otherwise, just add a little more butter.

Pour in whipping cream, at least a pint. If that's not enough add some half & half or a LITTLE milk. YOu don't want to water it down much or it won't thicken. Turn the heat waaay down, so it's just staying warm.

Oh yeah, before you start all this put your water on and boil your noodles. Don't want to forget that.

Add Parmesan cheese and stir so it doesn't separate and look funky, and salt & pepper to taste (you won't need much salt..I love salt but between the chicken, the wine and the cheese, it's pretty salty already) (Do salt your noodles).

I've served it a couple of ways...just spoon it on top of hot noodles and sprinkle chopped green onions, tomatoes, and grated parmesan on the top...or toss the noodles with the onions and tomatoes, then spoon the sauce over that and sprinkle. Either way, it's killer.

Serve with whatever kind of bread you like. Garlic bread with it can be a lot of garlic, which is good if you like it. Plain rolls are good too. Twists, baguettes, whatever. Serve salad & antipasto before.
like I said next time I am in the Pendleton area I am stopping at your house for dinner.:razz:

I have a great tip for when you fry fish. They taste alot better and are much easier to eat if you scale them first! Seems to cook faster too.

I like them crunchy.

Bear%20catching%20fish%20PICT1340.jpg

Chicken Fettucini

Chicken breasts
1/4 lb butter (at least)
Whipping cream
Fettucini noodles

Chopped green onions
Chopped tomatoes

like I said next time I am in the Pendleton area I am stopping at your house for dinner.:razz:

Lol. I have somebody coming over this weekend...I'm making chicken and dumplings.

I'm buying a pie though, dammit. Not screwing around with a pie when I've got stuff to do. I made pies for years when i had a house full of boys...nothing in the world cheaper to make than big beautiful apple pies, one of the few things that actually saves you money to just make it.

But if I'm rushed and can afford it, I'm all for buying a frozen key lime pie. Or a frozen pumpkin one.

Chicken Fettucini

Chicken breasts
1/4 lb butter (at least)
Whipping cream
Fettucini noodles

Chopped green onions
Chopped tomatoes

Lol. I have somebody coming over this weekend...I'm making chicken and dumplings.

I'm buying a pie though, dammit. Not screwing around with a pie when I've got stuff to do. I made pies for years when i had a house full of boys...nothing in the world cheaper to make than big beautiful apple pies, one of the few things that actually saves you money to just make it.

But if I'm rushed and can afford it, I'm all for buying a frozen key lime pie. Or a frozen pumpkin one.

I wish my mom had time to make chicken and dumplings, she makes the best. Today would be a perfect day for them too. It is cloudy and grey, I had some Campbell Chicken and goldfish ealier, just not the same thing.:lol:

Forum List

Back