The State of Jazz in America

I'm concerned that Jazz appreciation in the US is toast. People think Jazz is smooth jazz. I struggle to meet Gen Y women who can stand it. Should I get over it, or is there a great tragedy in the loss of all-american jazz appreciation?
Smooth Jazz is simply the current evolution of the ever changing style of Jazz, just as much as Big Band, Be-Bop, Swing, Avant-Garde, and Fusion.

I'm racist toward smooth jazz. This is exceptional what you posted. I'd try to call it fusion to avoid associating it with the easy-listening basic-beat with synth and sax guy that smooth seems like to me.

Please, more from your crates!

I'm concerned that Jazz appreciation in the US is toast. People think Jazz is smooth jazz. I struggle to meet Gen Y women who can stand it. Should I get over it, or is there a great tragedy in the loss of all-american jazz appreciation?
Smooth Jazz is simply the current evolution of the ever changing style of Jazz, just as much as Big Band, Be-Bop, Swing, Avant-Garde, and Fusion.

I'm racist toward smooth jazz. This is exceptional what you posted. I'd try to call it fusion to avoid associating it with the easy-listening basic-beat with synth and sax guy that smooth seems like to me.

Please, more from your crates!

Actually, Barry, a local NJ musician, coined the term "Fusion."

There is nothing wrong with "easy-listening basic-beat with synth and sax guy" if it is done with soul, at least to me that is.

Free George Bishop A Smooth Way streaming, free A Smooth Way mp3 download, A Smooth Way lyrics download | SONG365

Noted a couple of Big Band videos in there. Considered much different than jazz as the latter basically refers to small combos, normally trios.

There is a rather strict structure to jazz in that it needs a combined intro, individual riffs, and a combined coda. That's the big secret. If you can't handle a great solo, you got not place in a jazz combo.

Of interest, a lot of great jazz musicians were trained/knew classical music as well as Big Band.

One of my all-time favorites:

I didn't know how tightly jazz was defined. I like orchestral jazz, but I'm not a swinger. JLCO works great with my sound system.

Jazz is the last refuge of the untalented.

This is, by far, one of the stupist posts I've ever read.

A real jazz musician needs skills that cross a wide range of music genres to truly be good.
I'd try to call it fusion to avoid associating it with the easy-listening basic-beat with synth and sax guy that smooth seems like to me.
How about if we substitute an organ for the synth?

I struggle to dig that, but it's good musicianship. I think this narrows it down to basic beat. A lot of these bands have big aux percussion, but the beat has no jazz in it. It's like instrumental soul.

I didn't recall that the towers are on this album. Great Los Angeles song. One of the greatest finishers in the game.

I struggle to dig that, but it's good musicianship. I think this narrows it down to basic beat. A lot of these bands have big aux percussion, but the beat has no jazz in it. It's like instrumental soul.
I play drums and I have no problem with the percussion as long as the rhythm works in harmony with the melody no matter what style or type of music it is, Folk, Rock, Jazz, Classical, Blues, etc.

Here is the great Jazz drummer Alphonse Mouzon with his Smooth Jazz classic "Early Spring."

Free Alphonse Mouzon Early Spring streaming, free Early Spring mp3 download, Early Spring lyrics download | SONG365

Of course, I also love power drums, but you would probably call this Fusion too.

I play drums and I have no problem with the percussion as long as the rhythm works in harmony with the melody no matter what style or type of music it is, Folk, Rock, Jazz, Classical, Blues, etc.

Here is the great Jazz drummer Alphonse Mouzon with his Smooth Jazz classic "Early Spring."

Free Alphonse Mouzon Early Spring streaming, free Early Spring mp3 download, Early Spring lyrics download | SONG365
I file Alphonse Mouzon in Funk or Jazz/Funk. Not suitable for confined areas like an elevator.

I like this stuff.

What up, SJ, it's been awhile.
Yeah, it has. Where ya been, Bud?
you know how cereal_killer and his stormtroopers treat black folk...forced vacation!
wait you're black?

Nutz has been perma-banned folks, I run a tight ship here. Guideline 3c; Section 14; Article 4; Amendment 16; Line 3; clearly states..... "No blacks, jews , or Mexican's permitted at USMB"
I am still waiting for my mod credentials. USMB needs my moral compass.

you know how cereal_killer and his stormtroopers treat black folk...forced vacation!
wait you're black?

Nutz has been perma-banned folks, I run a tight ship here. Guideline 3c; Section 14; Article 4; Amendment 16; Line 3; clearly states..... "No blacks, jews , or Mexican's permitted at USMB"
Nutz for mod!

wait you're black?

Nutz for mod!

The Nutz campaign is offering free Peanuts:

I file Alphonse Mouzon in Funk or Jazz/Funk. Not suitable for confined areas like an elevator.

I like this stuff.

Here is the sax player, Gary Bartz, on your cut dabbling in Smooth Jazz.

Forum List

Back