The State of Jazz in America

Rock/pop seems to have stood the test of time. The other genres have peaked and waned in popularity. Easy listening, R&B, blues, jazz, gospel, opera, classical, etc., are less listened to now than in times past. Country is probably a close second to the rock/pop hysteria, although it doesn't appeal to me personally.
Then again I think, like jazz, that rock was once pop and that pop bands are not rock bands anymore.

I actually looked up the term "pop" and few years back. The definition, if I remember accurately, was that pop is a slightly lighter rock. Pretty close to same thing. I suppose the extremes might be comparing pop to heavy metal or acid rock. In that comparison, pop might seem more like easy listening, but based on what's considered classic rock versus pop, the difference is nearly negligible.

aren't't Great Goose post: 13023540 said:
Jazz is the last refuge of the untalented.
Actually, rap music holds that dubious honor. .... :cool:
I disagree. Many rap artists are quite talented when they arent rapping. people are actually trying to make music when they play Jaz. Its an open admission of, I cant compose good music so ive joined a jerk circle in order to beleve i can.

So, I've got a thing for Bossa.

There's two arrangements of this with Stan Getz, Astrud Gilberto and Tom Jobim. This is the the better one, I think.

Forum List

Back