The State of Jazz in America

I struggle to dig that, but it's good musicianship. I think this narrows it down to basic beat. A lot of these bands have big aux percussion, but the beat has no jazz in it. It's like instrumental soul.
I play drums and I have no problem with the percussion as long as the rhythm works in harmony with the melody no matter what style or type of music it is, Folk, Rock, Jazz, Classical, Blues, etc.

Here is the great Jazz drummer Alphonse Mouzon with his Smooth Jazz classic "Early Spring."

Free Alphonse Mouzon Early Spring streaming, free Early Spring mp3 download, Early Spring lyrics download | SONG365
I file Alphonse Mouzon in Funk or Jazz/Funk. Not suitable for confined areas like an elevator.

I like this stuff.

Here is the sax player, Gary Bartz, on your cut dabbling in Smooth Jazz.

This is good stuff.

I struggle to dig that, but it's good musicianship. I think this narrows it down to basic beat. A lot of these bands have big aux percussion, but the beat has no jazz in it. It's like instrumental soul.
I play drums and I have no problem with the percussion as long as the rhythm works in harmony with the melody no matter what style or type of music it is, Folk, Rock, Jazz, Classical, Blues, etc.

Here is the great Jazz drummer Alphonse Mouzon with his Smooth Jazz classic "Early Spring."

Free Alphonse Mouzon Early Spring streaming, free Early Spring mp3 download, Early Spring lyrics download | SONG365
I file Alphonse Mouzon in Funk or Jazz/Funk. Not suitable for confined areas like an elevator.

I like this stuff.

Here is the sax player, Gary Bartz, on your cut dabbling in Smooth Jazz.

This is good stuff.
Gary Bartz is a Philadelphia musician. Where I live in NJ I call it living stereo, I have NYC in one ear and Phily in the other.

No. I don't care much for country but at least they play instruments.
If you don't like the Drawl, You all, singing of Country, but like the instruments, you might want to give Bluegrass a try.
To keep it on topic, here is a little Bluegrass/Jazz Fusion.

No. I don't care much for country but at least they play instruments.
If you don't like the Drawl, You all, singing of Country, but like the instruments, you might want to give Bluegrass a try.
To keep it on topic, here is a little Bluegrass/Jazz Fusion.

It's not the drawl, it's the subject matter. Not all country, just country in general. There are many exceptions but this isn't the thread in which to post them.

Story you might get a kick out of.

I was stationed at Coleman Barracks outside of Mannheim, Germany. There was a Special Services Club on base where offduty GIs could hang out. Lots of Pinochle and bridge tournaments and they even arranged tours of places of interest.

And they had musical instruments for those interested. Guy came in one day and sat down to play some awesome jazz on the ivories. Turned out he had played professionally, to include tour ships, before getting drafted. (Can't remember his name for the life of me.)

I tried stumping him with a bunch of tunes and he knew every one of them. One day he came in with a couple of books filled with his "cheat sheets" - his notes on ever a hundred tunes.

Getting to the point. I have little musical talent beyond tuning the radio but he conned me into taking out a 3/4 bass from the music room. He showed me the basic chords and I ended up hacking my way through as he played. We managed to gather quite a crowd.

One day, a guy came up and asked if he could join us as the drummer. My guy gave me that look meaning banger instead of drummer - until! The guy want back to his room in the barracks and returned with a bag. He laid up just about everything a real percussionist needs to be in any musical combo and turned out to be as good as any jazz drummer I've ever heard.

We ended up playing gigs off-base at a couple of clubs in Mannheim and Heidelberg. Awesome until his time was up and he returned stateside to get out.

Miss it but will never forget.

No Apologies for the Sarah Vaughn overload.

Here's a clinic on phrasing for jazz vocalists.

Forum List

Back