The Republicans have a plan to pay for their tax cuts.

Well the regressives here on USMB have been begging for a balanced budget. I say we oblige them and cut all the entitlement programs for a few years.

Will they praise Republicans and President Trump if this happens?

Regressives? You're quite the dumb ass. How would you like paying into a 401K for 50 years and then someone telling you your 401k is not going to pay you because it's an entitlement? You pay into something it's certainly not an entitlement. I will not live long enough to collect everything I have paid in. Now taking this away is regressive. So stuff it punk.

The only problem with this is that Social Security is not a 401k, never has been, and was never intended to be.

150 k is nothing today. Functional at best.

I guess that might depend on where you live. I make much less than 75K, and I have a healthy IRA, real estate investments and easily able to pay my bills.

Let's face it, most Americans have an inflated notion of how much they actually need. If someone has a 4 br, 2000+ sq ft house for just him/herself and a spouse and buys a new car every few years, I don't want to hear how their income isn't enough to allow them to take care of their own healthcare and put money away in savings or investments.

I'm not begrudging anyone having whatever they want, if they can pay for it. But I very much begrudge them the whining afterwards about how they don't make enough to live on.

Both sides know their power ends when they cut social security.....thankfully.

You're really fixated on Social Security. Sounds to me like you're terrified that you might have to actually do something for your mom yourself, instead of foisting it off onto other people.

Actually (if I remember correctly) Initforme is a guy in his mid 80's.

HE'S the one who was gabbling about his mother. Maybe he's terrified because his kids suck and he can't depend on them to take care of HIM. No clue. I don't understand a lifestyle where someone would rather depend on politicians and faceless bureaucrats than family . . . and I don't want to understand it.

I guess that might depend on where you live. I make much less than 75K, and I have a healthy IRA, real estate investments and easily able to pay my bills.

Let's face it, most Americans have an inflated notion of how much they actually need. If someone has a 4 br, 2000+ sq ft house for just him/herself and a spouse and buys a new car every few years, I don't want to hear how their income isn't enough to allow them to take care of their own healthcare and put money away in savings or investments.

I'm not begrudging anyone having whatever they want, if they can pay for it. But I very much begrudge them the whining afterwards about how they don't make enough to live on.
Where Is The Outrage Over Corporate Welfare?

I was originally telling him about a 150K income family, and he replied that 75K each was barely enough to live on. I don't know where that's barely enough to live on because I realize our cost of living is much lower than the northeast states and Cali. But I would hardly consider 150K a year family income barely enough to get by on. Hell, if I made 150K a year since I started working, I would have retired at 50 years old comfortably.

I was originally telling him about a 150K income family, and he replied that 75K each was barely enough to live on. I don't know where that's barely enough to live on because I realize our cost of living is much lower than the northeast states and Cali. But I would hardly consider 150K a year family income barely enough to get by on. Hell, if I made 150K a year since I started working, I would have retired at 50 years old comfortably.

Hell, if we were making half that, I'd sit in the street and laugh at the bank.

1. Raise everyone's taxes by an equal 10%, then no whining, except the wealthy always squeal. This raises $500b

So what you're saying is raise taxes on the people that already support the rest of us. The problem in this country is everybody wants their government goodies. It's easy to demand those goodies if somebody else is paying for them. Perhaps it's time everybody paid, and don't tell me you can't get blood from a rock. Because maybe if everybody had a dog in this race, people would be asking less of government.

In the county I live in (Cuyahoga) we have an 8 cent per dollar tax on everything you buy. That tax is for the rich, the poor, the middle-class, everybody. Maybe that's something we should start doing nationwide to solve our debt, deficit and spending problems.

Top 20% of Earners Pay 84% of Income Tax

There is another thread that shows that if everyone's taxes are raised about 7% and then defense gets cut $100b and then cut welfare and medicaid $400b the Budget is balanced. Subject to tweaks from other savings, like SS & Medicare, if possible.

The key thing is that 50% come from taxes and 50% from cuts.

But only 50% of the people pay income taxes. So you're suggesting we still shoulder the burden on those who are already paying all the taxes while not touching the other 49% who pay nothing in income tax. How can you raise taxes on people who aren't paying them in the first place?

If "everyone" pays 7% more than the 2016 rates it raises $500b a year. The top rate would be 46.9% up from 39.9%. That would balance the Budget. If they could realize more savings over time that rate could go down, but not probable since the interest on the Debt would increase as the Fed raises rates. But it gets the US back into reality.

In other words you want the top 10% to pay all the income taxes for the country. Since 49% of Americans pay no income tax, 7% of nothing is nothing. If people want all these goodies (mostly those 49%) then everybody should be paying income tax.

I lived in NY, most people have no idea the extent NY hits you with taxes and fees and tolls there is virtually nothing they don't tax. Property taxes on a $200k house over $13,000. Hell NY taxes your home mortgage loan and if you dare re-fi they tax you again full boat.

I lived in NY, most people have no idea the extent NY hits you with taxes and fees and tolls there is virtually nothing they don't tax. Property taxes on a $200k house over $13,000. Hell NY taxes your home mortgage loan and if you dare re-fi they tax you again full boat.

Which is a pretty good reason why so many of us wouldn't live there if God Almighty Himself told us to.

Which is a pretty good reason why so many of us wouldn't live there if God Almighty Himself told us to.

Its too bad because its a beautiful state, as typical the left wrecked it.

Its too bad because its a beautiful state, as typical the left wrecked it.

True. Every time there's something nice, the great unwashed horde invades, takes it over, and then turns it into a slum.

Good!

Last thing we need is your kind living among us.

True. You folks have enough problems just being you, without having smart conservatives right there on hand to mock you and laugh at you. Having us do it from a distance is bad enough.

And NY taxpayers don't get much for all that money they pay. NY is very corrupt. The taxpayer money flows to political patronage jobs, no show jobs, taxpayer funded pension scams, multiple overlapping layers of government and services on the same plot square mile of land its incredible.

I used to listen to the Howard Stern show when it was good. Listening to them talk, they have to tip everybody. They have to tip the bus driver, their door man, their garbage man, the elevator man, their mailman. They tip the hotdog vendor. I don't know how anybody could live like that and have to take a cab everywhere they go to boot. I could never afford to give away cash like that on a daily basis.

About ten years ago I rented a very small house of mine to some kid from NY. At the time, I was charging him $450.00 a month for rent. He told me that if that very same house was anywhere near NYC, I would be able to charge $1,200 a month and have a waiting list to get in.

Forum List

Back