The Min Wage is really a tax on the poor

Would you work for a buck fifty a day?
/next
From today's WSJ, Prof Macurdy shows that raising the min wage is really a tax on the poor, not a benefit to them. Among supprising findings, min wage workers exist across the household income spectrum. So Dad is a lawyer, mom is a dental tech and junior works min wage at Mickey D's. That's just as often as any other scenario. The crux here is higher min wages create higher prices, and since those higher prices disproportiantely affect the poor it is a tax on them, while min wage is spread evenly through the socio economic strata. Of course the Dims wont get this and will claim...well, you'll see.
Thomas MaCurdy The Minimum-Wage Stealth Tax on the Poor - WSJ

That's kind of a crappy argument.
With a wage of $11 per day not many Americans would be willing to do the work, but many Mexicans would still be better off, because they would earn about 3 times the minimum wage of Mexico, and besdes many jobs have already been offshored to China.
Low wages are a trap in the long run.
Arguably the south had very low wages and the north high ones, which incentivized industrialization. I probably don't have to remind you whose arse got kicked in the end.

Also, it kind of depends on what the company produces and where it produces it.
True , a rise in wage for constructors of a building in the Fifth avenue will probably make the building a bit more expensive, but, I would be amazed if any of the construction workers would be able to buy the condo they have just built.
Classical oversimplification : one size fits all. In real life labour plays a different percentage of the COGS and will not affect goods and services evenly.
None of what you wrote was responsive to the OP or the article cited.
None of what you wrote made a lot of sense. Zero is the lowest wage of all. Which is what happens when people are unemployed. Why is unemployment at zero wage better than employment at $5/hr?

For many reasons : Below certain level people migh just go for an informal job : e.g selling stuff at a flea market, or going to illegal activities : robbing ,drug trafficking.
Also, public transport is not cheap in the US.How much of those $5 will he have left after paying for transportation?
Many will be better of not working at all than working full turn just to pay for transportation... silly question. That can only be expected of someone who has never earned a minimum wage.
Lemme see here: So a 5/hr min wage will cause people to go into illegal activity but a zero/hr unemployment status wont? Are you fucking serious? Do you not understand that lot of inner city crime is created because young men have nothing to do but stand around a street corner?

you're an idiot ... those dudes standing on the corner are called Gang members. They steal cars and sell drugs. Hell, the 10 year old riding a $1000 bicycle with an $800 phone in his pocket, watching out for cops in the neighborhood has more $$$ in his shirt pocket than you've ever seen. Min wage tax on the poor my ass.
You get your information from rap music videos, right?
Most drug dealers live at home because they cant afford their own places. See Freakanomics and the chapter covering that. Of course that wuld require you to get off your ass and read a book, which aint happening.

That's kind of a crappy argument.
With a wage of $11 per day not many Americans would be willing to do the work, but many Mexicans would still be better off, because they would earn about 3 times the minimum wage of Mexico, and besdes many jobs have already been offshored to China.
Low wages are a trap in the long run.
Arguably the south had very low wages and the north high ones, which incentivized industrialization. I probably don't have to remind you whose arse got kicked in the end.

Also, it kind of depends on what the company produces and where it produces it.
True , a rise in wage for constructors of a building in the Fifth avenue will probably make the building a bit more expensive, but, I would be amazed if any of the construction workers would be able to buy the condo they have just built.
Classical oversimplification : one size fits all. In real life labour plays a different percentage of the COGS and will not affect goods and services evenly.
None of what you wrote made a lot of sense. Zero is the lowest wage of all. Which is what happens when people are unemployed. Why is unemployment at zero wage better than employment at $5/hr?

For many reasons : Below certain level people migh just go for an informal job : e.g selling stuff at a flea market, or going to illegal activities : robbing ,drug trafficking.
Also, public transport is not cheap in the US.How much of those $5 will he have left after paying for transportation?
Many will be better of not working at all than working full turn just to pay for transportation... silly question. That can only be expected of someone who has never earned a minimum wage.
Lemme see here: So a 5/hr min wage will cause people to go into illegal activity but a zero/hr unemployment status wont? Are you fucking serious? Do you not understand that lot of inner city crime is created because young men have nothing to do but stand around a street corner?

you're an idiot ... those dudes standing on the corner are called Gang members. They steal cars and sell drugs. Hell, the 10 year old riding a $1000 bicycle with an $800 phone in his pocket, watching out for cops in the neighborhood has more $$$ in his shirt pocket than you've ever seen. Min wage tax on the poor my ass.
Most drug dealers live at home because they cant afford their own places. See Freakanomics and the chapter covering that. Of course that wuld require you to get off your ass and read a book, which aint happening.

you should know about living at home and listening to rap.

you should know about living at home and listening to rap.
Like I said, no chance of you getting off your ass and reading something.

This issue is like so many others. The evidence supports raising the minimum wage as a net positive for minimum wage workers and the overall economy.

Nutters use their UNSUBSTANTIATED "common sense" to exclaim that higher wages means higher prices.....and the higher prices are going to end up eating ALL of the wage increase AND THEN SOME. it's magic!

You fucking idiots.

This issue is like so many others. The evidence supports raising the minimum wage as a net positive for minimum wage workers and the overall economy.

Nutters use their UNSUBSTANTIATED "common sense" to exclaim that higher wages means higher prices.....and the higher prices are going to end up eating ALL of the wage increase AND THEN SOME. it's magic!

You fucking idiots.
You didnt read the article. You are STOOOPID. Dont ever call anyone else on this site an idiot again. And that includes bona fide idiots like Rightwinger.

You fucking idiots.
You didnt read the article. You are STOOOPID. Dont ever call anyone else on this site an idiot again. And that includes bona fide idiots like Rightwinger.

I read what you said about the article. What you said was stupid. You are an imbecile.

You fucking idiots.

I read what you said about the article. What you said was stupid. You are an imbecile.
You didnt read the article. You are a certified brain dead piece of breathing shit. You have no idea what you're talking about. How can you manage even to breathe on your own beng so dumb?

You fucking idiots.

You didnt read the article. You are a certified brain dead piece of breathing shit. You have no idea what you're talking about. How can you manage even to breathe on your own beng so dumb?

I'm not a subscriber. It isn't viewable.

I read what you said about the article. That's enough. You fail. You are arguing that raising the minimum wage is a tax on poor people. That's retarded.

Last edited:
what the rabbi is trying to say is... let's not only give the lower and middle class incomes a raise, but let's make it on the expense of those privately taxing us all with their inflated pay ie. owners and investors etc. isn't that the jewish way to put pharoah down below the rank of God? Be honest to your religion rabbi

You fucking idiots.

I read what you said about the article. That's enough. You fail. You are arguing that raising the minimum wage is a tax on poor people. That's retarded.
You're too stupid tp understand the arguent. That much is certain.

"Probably". That means you have no idea.
There are lots of people who would work for that wage. Retirees wanting to get out of the house, 16 yr old kids wanting some clothes money. You name it.
Nice deflection to illegals though. Points for form.
I'll buy your retirees point, there's plenty of them.
16 yr old kids looking for full time job ... there's not many of them.
And it is not a deflection point. Most of the low wage jobs are already taken by illegals. And why does that happen? Because 5 per hour is a lot of money in South America , it's enough to put them above the median income.
So, it's illegals and retirees, mostly.

99% of the world has some minimum wage law. In some countries this covers only certain sectors. This is a more effective way of achieving pareto efficiency.

You fucking idiots.

You're too stupid tp understand the arguent. That much is certain.

Rabbi,

Your argument isn't that raising the minimum wags is a tax on poor people?

Forum List

Back