The Main Problems With Electric Cars

If its your car you can do what you want

but most of us are not are mot going folliw you into stiffing their trunk with batteries

Actually, I don't really have a conventional trunk. The rear part of the floor comes up and has an ample storage space. I already carry a sealed 2 gallon gas container back there. But I have enough room back there for a 200AH70 without changing a thing. Now to engineer a couple of motors on the rear wheels that run seperate from the Hemi. The weight would still be less than 4600 (it's now just over 4100) and it currently (with my mods) runs a mid 13 sec quartermile. Deade Stock is 14.3. I think the addition of electrics could force it down into the high 12s (lookout hellcats). If you haven't figured it out yet, I am a motorhead that has updated his portfolio. Everything fits if you have a Blow Torch.

Last edited:
With the gasoline and battery back in the strike zone I do believe you have just re-invented the Ford Pinto!

Best you not buy a new car; instead buy more life insurance.

Funny you should mention that. The battery is in the same place on ALL Dodge Magnums, Challengers and Chargers plus the Chrysler 300C. And has been since 2005 (late 2004). I don't know what you drive but I can bet your fuel tank is in that area as well. Except your junker isn't as well built back there.

If they made an EV station wagon again...

Maybe it would work...just a kid a grocery hauler for the soccer moms.

This is true for roughly half of the American homes as well. Only half live in single family homes...the rest live in apartments with no access to plugging in a car.
The problem is, even if EV's are the best thing since white bread, if folks can't charge from home, they're gonna dislike them. It's like buying a kettle, and when you want a cup of tea, you have to drive off to an electrical socket and sit for hours.

If they made an EV station wagon again...

Maybe it would work...just a kid a grocery hauler for the soccer moms.

The Magnum was a grocery getter that Dad could proudly drive. It ain't no Vista Cruiser. When it came out, it WAS the hot ride for affordable transportation. From it, came the Challenger and Charger a year later. That also meant it's doom since the hotrod ads went to those two. It dropped from over 28K in sales for 2005 down to about 4000 in 2008 (it's last year). But in 2024, looks like the "Challenger" gets full EV powers in a car resurrecting the moniker of "Barracuda" or Cuda. For engineering sake, it takes very little to backdate the "Barracuda" to a sports wagon like the Magnum.

The Magnum was a grocery getter that Dad could proudly drive. It ain't no Vista Cruiser. When it came out, it WAS the hot ride for affordable transportation. From it, came the Challenger and Charger a year later. That also meant it's doom since the hotrod ads went to those two. It dropped from over 28K in sales for 2005 down to about 4000 in 2008 (it's last year). But in 2024, looks like the "Challenger" gets full EV powers in a car resurrecting the moniker of "Barracuda" or Cuda. For engineering sake, it takes very little to backdate the "Barracuda" to a sports wagon like the Magnum.
But they all fade when compared to a Tesla S Plaid. Even a Y performance beats a Boss Mustang in real life.

And just why can't you charge from home?

Currently, with no way to get 220V to your parking space, you can't do a fast or hot charge if you live in an apartment. In fact, most apartment buildings won't allow you to even have 110v plug on your parking space. But that's called Infrastructure. It can be attained. For normal operating conditions, we don't need the high powered Charging stations. Most decent cars already has the ability to charge from almost any 220v plugin. Not as good as a tesla power station but better to take the 2 hours on the 220 plug instead of the 20 minutes to get that 80%. The 220v will take about 4 hours for full charge.

But they all fade when compared to a Tesla S Plaid. Even a Y performance beats a Boss Mustang in real life.

Your Boss Mustang lost it in 2005 when the Magnum was introduced. And, as it stands, the Challenger Redeye performs with it. For the track, both are wild rides but they really can't use all that power on the street. Never buy a car to drive normally that requires to you to attend a professional driving course just to go get groceries in.

Your Boss Mustang lost it in 2005 when the Magnum was introduced. And, as it stands, the Challenger Redeye performs with it. For the track, both are wild rides but they really can't use all that power on the street. Never buy a car to drive normally that requires to you to attend a professional driving course just to go get groceries in.
Having built a couple of cars I owned, totally agree. They are not at all pleasant in the Safeway parking lot. However, that is the beauty of the Tesla. They are pussy cats for normal driving, but when you want to play, they are the top dogs.

Having built a couple of cars I owned, totally agree. They are not at all pleasant in the Safeway parking lot. However, that is the beauty of the Tesla. They are pussy cats for normal driving, but when you want to play, they are the top dogs.

If you are going to order a new Challenger or Charger Hellcat or Redeye, make sure you order the optional gear ration. The problem with the stock unit is that it's designed to run over 200 mph. The Demon (no longer available) had the lower gear ratio. The 2.70 to the 3.07 means that you can use all that power on the sticky track. On the street, both ahs way too much wheel spin. The 2023 (or 24) Cuda EV will have over 1000 mp and have the same problem. Take it from me, if you have the power for track and street, you use the track setting on the street. What we have with Dodge and Tesla stepping up to the insanity are cars that have zero use on the street. And bragging rights will sell cars. It goes back to the old days of "What you Race on Sunday, you sell on Monday". At some point, the auto manufacturers are going to either self regulate or be regulated.

And just why can't you charge from home?
Are you a thick **** on purpose? Upstairs apartment with cars parked on opposite side of the road, and sometimes 100 yards up the road.

Do you expect me lash a 125 yard extension cable outside the top window of my house, across the path and road to charge an EV??

You are one dense thick head.

Are you a thick **** on purpose? Upstairs apartment with cars parked on opposite side of the road, and sometimes 100 yards up the road.

Do you expect me lash a 125 yard extension cable outside the top window of my house, across the path and road to charge an EV??

You are one dense thick head.

I expect for the community to regulate so you don't have to. Not update the old buildings but require the plugin and parking to support the building and occupants. Yah, I know you will threaten to grab your guns and all that but this construction on new buildings is also used for solar.

A Gas Powered car has more of a chance of burning or bursting into flame. A burning normal vehicle just isn't news worthy but an Electric is rare and gets the negative press.

The ONLY two things that are limiting EVs right now are range and charging time. And those are on the cusp right now. Look for 2026. And at that time, the industry will be forced to come up with a standard that all must comply with.

That's right, 4 years max before the EV starts taking over.

Dream on!

The Main Problems That Electric Car Owners Face
>

The main problems include risks of fire, and that EVs are not safe. There is the case of too much high-tech wizardry, charger compatibility, vehicle costs, and financing of charging stations, just to name a few.

It is obvious the EV technology has a long way to go to be a viable replacement for gasoline and diesel vehicles.
I wonder how many electric cars will catch fire in garages and burn the owner’s house down.

I wonder if the electric charging stations will have hookers hanging around to help men whose cars are charging to pass the time.

I wonder if somebody will discover a way to short the battery out on an electric car and if that would result in an explosion.

I wonder what happens if you drive an electric vehicle into a flooded street.

More cost! Gee, why does that always happen?

And how much cost did it cost for the unfristructure for Diesel and Gasoline? How about E85? At Elemndorf AFB, AK, on the base, the barracks parking lots have a plug for each spot. At least it did in 1974 when I left. Yes, it was for block heaters and rechargers but it was there so that the Airman could start their cars up in the dead of winter. And yes, we all used them. You claim to be Military yet you don't have any idea how the Military works.

Forum List

Back