The Main Problems With Electric Cars

Viktor

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2013
Southern California
The Main Problems That Electric Car Owners Face
>

The main problems include risks of fire, and that EVs are not safe. There is the case of too much high-tech wizardry, charger compatibility, vehicle costs, and financing of charging stations, just to name a few.

It is obvious the EV technology has a long way to go to be a viable replacement for gasoline and diesel vehicles.

>

The main problems include risks of fire, and that EVs are not safe. There is the case of too much high-tech wizardry, charger compatibility, vehicle costs, and financing of charging stations, just to name a few.

It is obvious the EV technology has a long way to go to be a viable replacement for gasoline and diesel vehicles.
gas cars didnt replace the horse overnight,, my guess is we will end up with both,,

>

Tesla S Plaid. One of our clients just bought one. He is not happy with it. It is parked and soon to be replaced. Read about the pros and cons. Instability. A sure reason to shitcan it.

>

Batteries are very fickle things. Hard to predict lifetime or failure mode because so much depends on how the charging and discharging is done. At what rates and to what depletion of the battery stack.

ESPECIALLY because an EV "battery" may consist of up to 8000 very SMALL (AA size) batteries all cobbled together. And a failure of one or couple could lead to significant risk of damaging others in the stack.

It's the battery WASTE ITSELF that is the main concern for OUR HEALTH and the PLANET. An EV fire is actually a HAZMAT call for a good reason.

>

A Gas Powered car has more of a chance of burning or bursting into flame. A burning normal vehicle just isn't news worthy but an Electric is rare and gets the negative press.

The ONLY two things that are limiting EVs right now are range and charging time. And those are on the cusp right now. Look for 2026. And at that time, the industry will be forced to come up with a standard that all must comply with.

That's right, 4 years max before the EV starts taking over.

Batteries are very fickle things. Hard to predict lifetime or failure mode because so much depends on how the charging and discharging is done. At what rates and to what depletion of the battery stack.

ESPECIALLY because an EV "battery" may consist of up to 8000 very SMALL (AA size) batteries all cobbled together. And a failure of one or couple could lead to significant risk of damaging others in the stack.

It's the battery WASTE ITSELF that is the main concern for OUR HEALTH and the PLANET. An EV fire is actually a HAZMAT call for a good reason.

AA? The last time I checked mine, it had F cells and a lot of them. I have also seen cells the size of large cell phones. I prefer the large cells, myself as they are easily repaired and maintained.

Right now, Teslas newest creation charges from 20% (the lowest one should allow a Lithium to go down to) to 80% in about 15 minutes using one of their charging stations. It also has the energy density of about 5X what you are used to.

Translation: It has the range and the quick charging to complete. What it doesn't have is a production line to produce it. I estimate that will come in 2024 and the vehicles using it will be out in force in 2026.

A Gas Powered car has more of a chance of burning or bursting into flame. A burning normal vehicle just isn't news worthy but an Electric is rare and gets the negative press.

The ONLY two things that are limiting EVs right now are range and charging time. And those are on the cusp right now. Look for 2026. And at that time, the industry will be forced to come up with a standard that all must comply with.

That's right, 4 years max before the EV starts taking over.
If you look at many manufacturers, most of their near future lineup will be electric. Like 75%.

There's a lot of fears with EVs...

Being on a long trip and having no where to plug in is a common fear as reported by owners.

Then there's the hundred million things that can go wrong while on a trip and then not having a qualified mechanic to work on it available. Or finding one but unable to get parts. It's not like there are a bunch of parts houses carrying the 57 various brands of EV parts.

It's an overly engineered disaster of a vehicle.

1. Batteries don't function well when it gets cold, as in really cold. What do you do then?

2. Where does the energy come from to recharge an EV?

3. What about AC in really hot climes? How long will a battery last before it has to be recharged?

4. How long do they last if they get a lot of use, like somebody uses the EV for a small business? Over time the efficiency of an EV begins to decline.

5. What do you do with the batteries when they're dead? Are they toxic?

Being on a long trip and having no where to plug in is a common fear as reported by owners.

Then there's the hundred million things that can go wrong while on a trip and then not having a qualified mechanic to work on it available. Or finding one but unable to get parts. It's not like there are a bunch of parts houses carrying the 57 various brands of EV parts.

When cars are built they are made in parts. Manufacturing consists of making more parts than actual cars made.

You mean like by gas car? Or my old 1988 Ford F-250 which parts have ceased to be made? How many old Ford Trucks are still on the road. But there are some parts that just aren't offered anymore for them.

Okay, let's take a look at the charging stations for Tesla. On the average, in Colorado, they are no further than 150 miles apart. These stations (we have 10 of them at Sams Club and a few other places around here) are financed by the State. If the State requires something better than the Feds, the State is going to have to foot the bill. Just because your state cannot afford it doesn't mean the rest of us shouldn't do it. I suggest you get better politicos that take care of the worth of the state better.

You mean like by gas car? Or my old 1988 Ford F-250 which parts have ceased to be made? How many old Ford Trucks are still on the road. But there are some parts that just aren't offered anymore for them.

Okay, let's take a look at the charging stations for Tesla. On the average, in Colorado, they are no further than 150 miles apart. These stations (we have 10 of them at Sams Club and a few other places around here) are financed by the State. If the State requires something better than the Feds, the State is going to have to foot the bill. Just because your state cannot afford it doesn't mean the rest of us shouldn't do it. I suggest you get better politicos that take care of the worth of the state better.
theres not a single part on an 68 ford that cant be had let alone an 88 and most of them are easier to get than a newer model car today,,

One of the things they need to address is passive charging. Once that gets solved, you'll see EVs as the standard.

What you'll see is something like this... Lets say Tesla has a campus in Phoenix. Instead of doing the conventional thing...driving your car into a parking spot and walking to the office, you pull up to the front door under the covered entry way. There is no parking but you get out anyway. Once you get out of your EV, the car navigates itself to a parking spot. I don't know if any of you have experienced it but sometimes lots are full but nobody tells you...so you drive around for a while looking for a non-existent empty spot. In the future, you won't have that problem. As one lot fills up, the car is re-routed to an empty spot in another lot. Once parked, the car docks with a recharging mechanism while you're working. When you leave, you "call" the car up on your phone and it comes to you.

1. Batteries don't function well when it gets cold, as in really cold. What do you do then?

Battery packs have built in heaters. And you left out that they don't operate real well under hot conditions but a decent EV has a cooling system for the battery as well.

2. Where does the energy come from to recharge an EV?

Around here, we use strictly Hydroelectric Power. Wind and solar is also contributing. Maybe we are just brighter bulbs than you are.

3. What about AC in really hot climes? How long will a battery last before it has to be recharged?

Good question. One that has no answer since you left out a host of material. But in a Tesla, AC does cut down on your range but for normal day to day driving it doesn't matter one whit.

4. How long do they last if they get a lot of use, like somebody uses the EV for a small business? Over time the efficiency of an EV begins to decline.

Do you mean like the EV Buses and Light Trucks which saves the companies billions each year?

5. What do you do with the batteries when they're dead? Are they toxic?

In Europe, they have a very good recycling system for them. The are 25 years ahead of the US in such things. To answer your question, they need to be recycled. And the US needs to get off it's dead ass.

The great part is that Joke Biden is pushing to spend millions to convert the whole Federal govt to electric cars in a few years.

859ae26b7517d317.jpg

No thanks.
I will stick with my 5.7 Jeep 4x4.

theres not a single part on an 68 ford that cant be had let alone an 88 and most of them are easier to get than a newer model car today,,

I just sold that 88 ford because I ended up having to buy parts from the junk yard because they weren't being manufactured anymore. The 88 to 91 Ford F series Pickups use fuel injection and can really only use FMC parts. The problem is, the trucks are so dependable that the aftermarkets aren't worth making. And the Chinese are producing complete junk. The good news is, there are millions of parts in the Salvage Yards for them.

Parts houses just don't stock that inventory. Sure, you may find specialty/remanufactured but a parts house generally only stocks A & B moving items.

I just sold that 88 ford because I ended up having to buy parts from the junk yard because they weren't being manufactured anymore. The 88 to 91 Ford F series Pickups use fuel injection and can really only use FMC parts. The problem is, the trucks are so dependable that the aftermarkets aren't worth making. And the Chinese are producing complete junk. The good news is, there are millions of parts in the Salvage Yards for them.
you would have to try to not find a part,, and that lie that only FMC parts work is just BS,,

theres an aftermarket part for everything and ford leads the pack,,

Forum List

Back