WHY didn't electric vehicles work in the first place?

Dr.Destructo

Jan 14, 2024
Everybody thinks EV's are a modern invention from the last 50 years or so. NOT TRUE.

In 1888, the German Andreas Flocken designed the Flocken Elektrowagen, regarded by some as the first "real" electric car.
In 1890, Andrew Morrison introduced the first electric car to the United States.

What killed the electric car?

Oil tycoons' greed mongering?
Oil tycoons' paying off politicians for their own greed?
The new up and coming age of assembly line vehicles running on gas?
Said gas vehicle companies paying off politicians for their own greed and avarice?

I mean, people STILL use oil, coal, and gasoline for tons of other things.
And assembly lines can easily be switched to put electric engines in any vehicle with very little cost.
Sales of said vehicles wouldn't be any kind of deterrent to the companies switching to EV's.

So WHY did it never take off? Become popular, or promoted by governments and companies that would profit off said EV's?????

1711937398646.png

One of the first electric cars sold in the USA........
1711937483348.png

Everybody thinks EV's are a modern invention from the last 50 years or so. NOT TRUE.

In 1888, the German Andreas Flocken designed the Flocken Elektrowagen, regarded by some as the first "real" electric car.
In 1890, Andrew Morrison introduced the first electric car to the United States.

What killed the electric car?

Oil tycoons' greed mongering?
Oil tycoons' paying off politicians for their own greed?
The new up and coming age of assembly line vehicles running on gas?
Said gas vehicle companies paying off politicians for their own greed and avarice?

I mean, people STILL use oil, coal, and gasoline for tons of other things.
And assembly lines can easily be switched to put electric engines in any vehicle with very little cost.
Sales of said vehicles wouldn't be any kind of deterrent to the companies switching to EV's.

So WHY did it never take off? Become popular, or promoted by governments and companies that would profit off said EV's?????

View attachment 925298

One of the first electric cars sold in the USA........
View attachment 925299
Because they were never mass marketed before.

Shitlibs and their 'tranny math' should never be taken seriously. They can't think past next Tues. They're linear thinkers and congenital liars.

They have no plan for disposing of hundreds of thousands of 1000lb batteries. The electric grid would completely go dark if everyone had an EV. They don't function in cold weather. They burn houses down. The extra weight tears up the roads and highways. The EV's recharge using fossil fuel. The replacement battery is $30K-$50K. :laughing0301:

It's just Shitty Idea #40,833 from the party that likes to fuck kids.

ev appraising.png

Lack of power and size of battery were cost prohibitive in the early days.

The motors were not able to be useful until about 1985 (ish) when the Rare Earth Magnet Motor made it's debut. But it wasn't until the early 1990s that the motor was installed in cars.

Then the Batteries didn't work too well. They were large and a huge fire hazard. The range of the Electric Wagon (not car) was only about 20 miles. But that wasn't a real problem since the actual roads they could operate weren't that longer than 2 miles either.

Even before the roads were made available outside of locals, someone hired a PR firm to change the US Citizens opinion to Electric Cars were for Ladies and Gas Cars were made for real Men. All work stopped on the Electric Cars in the United
States. Any one want to hazard a guess what company hired the PR firm to do that study?

Before 1980, the rare earth motor was going to be made into the power and hydraulics for a new low profile tank. Instead of the drive wheels, they would be replaced with rare earth magnet motors and gears. The Turret would be operated the same way. BTW, the Hydraulics and drive makes up over 50% of a tank. That means that until it was, or was legally not, the motor was tied up in the Military. You will notice that in 1980, the M-1 Abrams came out and that stopped the work on the new electric driven Tank. 10 years later, the rare earth magnet motor powered cars started to be released. The EV1 was finally released.

Last edited:
Or government subsidized. Go look up subsidy, dumbass.

EVs are somply not practical at this point in time.

If batteries were twice as efficient and lighter, they would be. It is what it is. :dunno:

They ARE efficient enough for local driving which is the bulk of the miles put on a passenger car today. When was the last time you had to drive over 300 miles each and every day? That is the range of MOST EVs today.

Now, get back under that bed, you are unjustly scaring the children.

They ARE efficient enough for local driving which is the bulk of the miles put on a passenger car today. When was the last time you had to drive over 300 miles each and every day? That is the range of MOST EVs today.

Now, get back under that bed, you are unjustly scaring the children.
Crawl back under your rock, you fuckin' snake.

You're a liar. Most EVs do less than 300 miles, shitbird.

Meanwhile, I could go further than that on a tank of gas, and then there's diesel. :aargh:

Last edited:
Crawl back under your rock, you fuckin' snake.

You're a liar. Most EVs do less than 300 miles, shitbird.

Meanwhile, I could go further than that on a tank of gas, and then there's diesel. :aargh:

Well, Cro-Magnon Man, you haven't stayed in touch with the Teslas which exceed the 350 mile mark. And there are many, many that exceed 200 miles. Fake Reason #1 thrown out.

I have a 2005 Dodge Magnum RT that has trouble getting more than 200 miles on a tank and will not make 300 miles on a tank. But I get more smiles per miles than on my electric. But the cost of maintaining the RT is many times more than maintaining the EV. But around town driving on nice days, you can't beat the comfort of the EV. If I do take the RT for that loaf of bread, I will end up paying about 3 times the amount when the transportation costs are added in.

On any given day, I won't even drive 10 miles. On Exceptions, I might drive 140 miles on way (280 two ways) on my RT. This is why I have both. Reason #2 of the Cro-Magnon Man goes down again.

Well, Cro-Magnon Man, you haven't stayed in touch with the Teslas which exceed the 350 mile mark. And there are many, many that exceed 200 miles. Fake Reason #1 thrown out.

I have a 2005 Dodge Magnum RT that has trouble getting more than 200 miles on a tank and will not make 300 miles on a tank. But I get more smiles per miles than on my electric. But the cost of maintaining the RT is many times more than maintaining the EV. But around town driving on nice days, you can't beat the comfort of the EV. If I do take the RT for that loaf of bread, I will end up paying about 3 times the amount when the transportation costs are added in.

On any given day, I won't even drive 10 miles. On Exceptions, I might drive 140 miles on way (280 two ways) on my RT. This is why I have both. Reason #2 of the Cro-Magnon Man goes down again.
:blahblah:
What is the weight of a Tesla battery, Chumpley?

Dodge Magnums have a big engine and a small gas tank, dumbass.

Sure ain't no F250 diesel. I do notice you failed to mention what your EV was, why is that?

Last edited:
No automobile was mass marketed until Henry ford.

In fact ... the Oldsmobile Curved Dash 1901 was a mass-produced (assembly line built) and mass-marketed vehicle in the American market, pre-dating the Model T by 7 years.

The gasoline-powered Oldsmobile Model R, also known as the Curved Dash Oldsmobile,[3] is credited as being the first mass-produced automobile,[4] meaning that it was built on an assembly line using interchangeable parts. It was introduced by the Oldsmobile company in 1901 and produced through 1903; 425 were produced the first year,[5] 2,500 in 1902, and over 19,000 were built in all

It was a runabout model, could seat two passengers, and sold for US$650. While competitive, due to high volume, and priced below the US$850 two-seat Ford Model C "Doctor's Car",[9] it was more expensive than the Western 1905 Gale Model A roadster at US$500. The Black sold for $375,[10] and the Success for US$250.[11] It was built as a city car for short distance driving, while the larger Model S could carry four passengers and could travel longer distances.

Henry Ford ... in addition to being a raving antisemite ... was a massive self-promoter and took credit for many innovations from his competitors

ImageHandler.jpeg

My absolute favorite alternative to the ICE engine was The 1906 Stanley Steamer 1906 Vanderbilt Racer ... running on a boiler powered by gasoline.

Required no crank starter or transmission (the steam engine delivered full torque directly to the wheels).

Set a land speed record of 136 MPH in 1906 ... and record that stood for 7 years.

1d2a2d9b8fa9f6f3fffd6e58bee37b90.jpg

It has a 15 gal tank. And the engine isn't that big with a 5.7L or 543cid. And it's dirty with a smog factor of 3. The Viper has a smog factor of 5. The higher the better. The big 3 spend 428 million per quarter in regulator credits to Tesla. That's over a billion per year that Tesla gets from them annually. And who actually pays for this? We all do. I sometimes wonder if Tesla didn't receive the smog credits if it could stay in business. The facts remain that the automakers could have done a much better job. But took the easy way out. My highly built 66 Cuda got 21mpg which is the same as my Magnum. And with less HP, the Cuda was a high 12 second in the quarter car. I built it before the computer or the pocket calc. I built it with a slide rule.

Then you will say that the rules aren't necessary. I remember driving into Denver from the mountain side, during the day, and seeing a really nasty smog curtain. Today, it's only there from about 3 to 6 daily during rush hour. I remember when Fairbanks AK had to have a siren blow so people could get their small children indoors because the smog could kill them.

Sure ain't no F250 diesel. I do notice you failed to mention what your EV was, why is that?

Why would I mention which EV? You have used a blanket statement that ALL EVs are bad. BTW, my EV is a self built Trike that has it's own wow factor built in. Dress appropriately.

But unlike a sluggish diesel, an EV has instant torque on demand.

And Ford trucks suck. The transmissions are weak. I think Ford may be the perp that invented "planned obsolescence".

It has a 15 gal tank. And the engine isn't that big with a 5.7L or 543cid. And it's dirty with a smog factor of 3. The Viper has a smog factor of 5. The higher the better. The big 3 spend 428 million per quarter in regulator credits to Tesla. That's over a billion per year that Tesla gets from them annually. And who actually pays for this? We all do. I sometimes wonder if Tesla didn't receive the smog credits if it could stay in business. The facts remain that the automakers could have done a much better job. But took the easy way out. My highly built 66 Cuda got 21mpg which is the same as my Magnum. And with less HP, the Cuda was a high 12 second in the quarter car. I built it before the computer or the pocket calc. I built it with a slide rule.

Then you will say that the rules aren't necessary. I remember driving into Denver from the mountain side, during the day, and seeing a really nasty smog curtain. Today, it's only there from about 3 to 6 daily during rush hour. I remember when Fairbanks AK had to have a siren blow so people could get their small children indoors because the smog could kill them.

Why would I mention which EV? You have used a blanket statement that ALL EVs are bad. BTW, my EV is a self built Trike that has it's own wow factor built in. Dress appropriately.
A Trike is viable, but cars and trucks that have all that extra metal to propel and meet NHTSA regulations are NOT.

(as of this point in time)

A Trike is viable, but cars and trucks that have all that extra metal to propel and meet NHTSA regulations are NOT.

(as of this point in time)

Trikes meet NHTA standards as a motor vehicle. It's a motor cycle. One thing I do know is, we have been pampered on what you would call a car or a truck. WE could build a car that weighs less than half as much and be as safe without all the crap that goes into it.

Forum List

Back