The Good Place

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012
The Good Place is a mini series on Netflix that depicts Hollywood's version of what heaven must be like. The story is about a woman who was accidentally placed in heaven when she should have gone to the "bad place", presumably hell.

In the theology of the sit com, all religions are partially correct about heaven, around 15% of the truth in each. But there was one guy who smoked pot and listened to the Grateful Dead who amazingly got around 90% of it all right. I suppose it was meant to be funny, but I really think the world thinks this way as well. In the Netflix series, people are judged based upon "good" deeds and "bad" deeds. The more your good deeds outweigh your bad deeds, the more likely you will enter heaven.

Looking at world religions, I would say that most think this way. The hope is that your good deeds outweigh your bad deeds so that you make it into heaven............except..................Christianity. Only Christianity is where your good and bad deeds are not the basis for salvation. This means that as long as one is repentant, you can live a live askew in bad deeds and then repent and have hope. Conversely, followers of Christ are not burdened with the notion that they have to earn their way into heaven, nor be prideful of all their good deeds to assume they will make it.

I think the blatant flaw in the theology of this Netflix series is, there are "good" people. I find that those on the Left or those not of faith continuously underestimate flawed human nature. They don't understand their own inner depravity, or that of others.

This is why Leftists truly believe that only through our noble politicians in government, that is the righteous democrat party, can we achieve utopia. All power can then be given to them to rule the world without any fear of a bad outcome. That is why the Left continuously seeks to empower government over our lives. They really believe that government control leads to utopia.

The Good Place was more a stealth lesson in philosophy than a commentary on religion. The idea of Christian forgiveness is problematic. What about those who will never hear an apology or receive penance from the person who has wronged them? It's a hell of a lot easier to apologize to God than it is to make things right with your fellow humans. Some things can never be made right. Treating Christianity like it is a moral escape hatch from the guilt you should feel for being a selfish prick is just wrong. If that's the way it is the afterlife is even more screwed up than that TV show.

I started watching it but stopped about the third or forth episode because had too much friggin diversity in it. Made me sick.

Piss on Hollywood and the Limousine Libtards that put out trash like that.

The Good Place was more a stealth lesson in philosophy than a commentary on religion. The idea of Christian forgiveness is problematic. What about those who will never hear an apology or receive penance from the person who has wronged them? It's a hell of a lot easier to apologize to God than it is to make things right with your fellow humans. Some things can never be made right. Treating Christianity like it is a moral escape hatch from the guilt you should feel for being a selfish prick is just wrong. If that's the way it is the afterlife is even more screwed up than that TV show.
To refuse to forgive one man's sins would be problematic for wanting pardon for your own.

The key is repentance. Do you repent?

This is driven home time and again in the Bible. One such example was the thief on the cross who died next to Jesus. Two thieves hung next to Jesus. One knew that he deserved to be on the cross and was going to die for his sins, and merely asked Jesus to remember him when he entered paradise. But the other thief cursed and mocked Christ saying, "If you be the son of God, get us the @##@ down from here! This is a man who is not repentant, a man whom would resume his conduct if given the chance.

Put another way, faith in God is merely choosing to begin to agree with God and move towards his perfect moral order. For such people, they are on the road to being reunited with their Lord.

I started watching it but stopped about the third or forth episode because had too much friggin diversity in it. Made me sick.

Piss on Hollywood and the Limousine Libtards that put out trash like that.
But it is a good insight in how they think.............or don't think.......depending on your perspective.

...there is no heaven-------or hell-----------or god--plain and simple
don't try to prove--it can't be done

Repent. Repent. Personally, I think good people do bad things every once in awhile and many of those bad things were not intentional or they had no clue what they did was considered bad. But if they repent, then they are safe to get into heaven.
Next day, they do something bad because they just felt like it, but are basically a good person. Repent, then do it again if you are in a bad mood. All forgiven. Do it again.

Malarky. If you are a good person, do good deeds, are kind, THAT is what gets you to Heaven. Being an ass, repenting and continuing to be an ass gets you nowhere near those pearly gates.

Just my 2 cents.

...there is no heaven-------or hell-----------or god--plain and simple
don't try to prove--it can't be done
That's why its called FAITH. You don't have it. Ok. But don't tell those who do to prove anything. They don't have to.

To refuse to forgive one man's sins would be problematic for wanting pardon for your own.

The key is repentance. Do you repent?

This is driven home time and again in the Bible. One such example was the thief on the cross who died next to Jesus. Two thieves hung next to Jesus. One knew that he deserved to be on the cross and was going to die for his sins, and merely asked Jesus to remember him when he entered paradise. But the other thief cursed and mocked Christ saying, "If you be the son of God, get us the @##@ down from here! This is a man who is not repentant, a man whom would resume his conduct if given the chance.

Put another way, faith in God is merely choosing to begin to agree with God and move towards his perfect moral order. For such people, they are on the road to being reunited with their Lord.
So tell me. Do you think the last minute deathbed confession and plea for forgiveness is valid? For me it's the spiritual equivalent of a cheat code. It would mean that heaven is full of bad people who were lucky enough to see death coming and hell is full of good people who might not have prayed since their last minor infraction. The more mature explanation is that God knows the state of your soul and if you are worthy of an eternal reward or everlasting damnation. An afterlife where the books do not have to balance is as arbitrary and meaningless as our current existence.

The Good Place is a mini series on Netflix that depicts Hollywood's version of what heaven must be like. The story is about a woman who was accidentally placed in heaven when she should have gone to the "bad place", presumably hell.

In the theology of the sit com, all religions are partially correct about heaven, around 15% of the truth in each. But there was one guy who smoked pot and listened to the Grateful Dead who amazingly got around 90% of it all right. I suppose it was meant to be funny, but I really think the world thinks this way as well. In the Netflix series, people are judged based upon "good" deeds and "bad" deeds. The more your good deeds outweigh your bad deeds, the more likely you will enter heaven.

Looking at world religions, I would say that most think this way. The hope is that your good deeds outweigh your bad deeds so that you make it into heaven............except..................Christianity. Only Christianity is where your good and bad deeds are not the basis for salvation. This means that as long as one is repentant, you can live a live askew in bad deeds and then repent and have hope. Conversely, followers of Christ are not burdened with the notion that they have to earn their way into heaven, nor be prideful of all their good deeds to assume they will make it.
IT'S A SITCOM!! You're overthinking it.

It's probably not a coincidence that there are way more Jewish comedians than you would expect from their numbers. Jews know God created this absurd world filled with absurd people and we should not take ourselves too seriously.

Forum List

Back