Zone1 Yes, we do have to "work" our way to Heaven

The thief on the cross next to Christ had nothing whatsoever to offer, no works, no baptism, no catechism, nothing. He walked into Paradise totally on the strength of his faith in Yeshua.
Says YOU. I’m not so sure that a criminal went to Heaven.

Seems pretty bad to me that one can be a criminal, and all he has to do is believe and he goes to Paradise. According to that way of thinking, Hitler and Mussolini went also, as long as they believed Jesus was the son of Gd.

So what’s the incentive to be a good, decent person?

That's what Yeshua promised him.
Seems pretty bad to me that one can be a criminal, and all he has to do is believe and he goes to Paradise. According to that way of thinking, Hitler and Mussolini went also, as long as they believed Jesus was the son of Gd.
No, as long as they put their faith in Jesus' sacrifice to save them. That's the whole point, He made the sacrifice so we don't have to.
So what’s the incentive to be a good, decent person?
Rewards. God has rewards for those who serve Him. Salvation itself is a gift.

Also, think of it this way. You meet and fall in love with a person. Your entire life changes because now you can only think of that person. Everything you do has their benefit in mind. Why? What incentive do you have to act like that?

That's what Yeshua promised him.

No, as long as they put their faith in Jesus' sacrifice to save them. That's the whole point, He made the sacrifice so we don't have to.

Rewards. God has rewards for those who serve Him. Salvation itself is a gift.

Also, think of it this way. You meet and fall in love with a person. Your entire life changes because now you can only think of that person. Everything you do has their benefit in mind. Why? What incentive do you have to act like that?
What??!l you’re saying that Hitler could be in Heaven right now if he “believed” in Jesus? That’s sick.

What??!l you’re saying that Hitler could be in Heaven right now if he “believed” in Jesus? That’s sick.
I'm saying that if Christ's sacrifice wasn't enough for the worst of us, it's not worth much. Here's a clue for you, we are not the judge of others, and if you want that power, be prepared to be judged yourself. And again, you're ignoring the difference between belief and faith. The demons believe and tremble.

this "faith" vs "works" sebate came to a head when luthor was opposing "indulgences."

juthor had a point, but modern protestants do take this to an extreme.

"jimmy carter is a man of great faith. but that does not stop his hammer." rampart
It's effortless to have great faith when you move into an area of south Georgia that has no other people, especially Indians.

building homes is not a "work?" even for charity? we have a few problems that began in about the 11th chapter of genesis.....
Carter's habitat for humanity in south Georgia, across the line in n. Florida, Timucua were practicing cannibalism.

Thanks for what you say, but as to this, it is likely the good thief went to Heaven. He was right next to Jesus on the Cross. How could he not?

Just to be in Christ's Holy Presence for those few minutes (or however long crucifixions take...)

well, if that doesn't change you, nothing will

The thief on the cross next to Christ had nothing whatsoever to offer, no works, no baptism, no catechism, nothing. He walked into Paradise totally on the strength of his faith in Yeshua.

The event of the thief on the cross who accepted Christ does not in any way mean that OTHERS can get to Heaven without
"works, baptism... [etc]"

the thief was in the Presence of Christ. If that doesn't save you, nothing does.

And where do we find the Presence of Christ today? Not many places, tht is true

But many Catholic Churches still have the Real Presence... and only Christ's True Church has that

:)

You’re coming at this from YOUR beliefs. There is more than one religion in the world. And stop telling Jews they don’t have a relationship with Gd, or He with they. Quite arrogant on your part, amd rude.
Every person who follows Christ or even those who follow the Chosen Religion that came before Him.. the Jewish religion

have a relationship with God.

But there are good relationships and not so good...

The event of the thief on the cross who accepted Christ does not in any way mean that OTHERS can get to Heaven without
"works, baptism... [etc]"

the thief was in the Presence of Christ. If that doesn't save you, nothing does.
Time and time again we see Christ healing and performing miracles based on the faith of those He helped, not just because he was there.
And where do we find the Presence of Christ today? Not many places, tht is true

But many Catholic Churches still have the Real Presence... and only Christ's True Church has that

:)
The presence of Christ is everywhere His people are, because He lives within them. His church extends far beyond any building, and especially what name is on the door.

Every person who follows Christ or even those who follow the Chosen Religion that came before Him.. the Jewish religion

have a relationship with God.

But there are good relationships and not so good...
Thank you. That previous poster implied that those of us who don’t believe in Jesus have no relationship with Gd, when I assure you we most certainly do.

Time and time again we see Christ healing and performing miracles based on the faith of those He helped, not just because he was there.

The presence of Christ is everywhere His people are, because He lives within them. His church extends far beyond any building, and especially what name is on the door.
We see all that from Gd. His power is everywhere.

I'm saying that if Christ's sacrifice wasn't enough for the worst of us, it's not worth much. Here's a clue for you, we are not the judge of others, and if you want that power, be prepared to be judged yourself. And again, you're ignoring the difference between belief and faith. The demons believe and tremble.
I don't see much diffrerence myself

In any case, all the faith or belief in the world will do one NO good if one does not CHANGE. Human nature will never get into Heaven

full stop

Thank you. That previous poster implied that those of us who don’t believe in Jesus have no relationship with Gd, when I assure you we most certainly do.
Yes, but Jesus said that No one comes to the Father except through HIM. That is because He "clears away our sins" so that there is no "obstruction" between the Father and us.

you wouldn't know it by me. The snark just at this Religion part of the forum is at times unbelievable... from alleged Christians

Yes, but Jesus said that No one comes to the Father except through HIM. That is because He "clears away our sins" so that there is no "obstruction" between the Father and us.
Yes, but….who knows if he really said that, and what he meant by it if he did.

you wouldn't know it by me. The snark just at this Religion part of the forum is at times unbelievable... from alleged Christians
Agree. What I find snarky are the alleged Christians insisting that THEIR way is the only way to Heaven (which would require Jews to abandon the key tenet of Judaism).

Agree. What I find snarky are the alleged Christians insisting that THEIR way is the only way to Heaven (which would require Jews to abandon the key tenet of Judaism).

well, you cannot deny that there is only ONE way to such a perfect place. You don't get there by being imperfect this way and that way....

and most humans aren't headed in that direction That's because they are stuck on the things of this earth, knowingly or otherwise but most people do know it (after about the age of 30)

and I could say other things. But what needs to be said is that Jesus is real and He is the Messiah the Jews waited for. They killed Him because they didn't want a king like Him

and other reasons, I'm sure.

In any case, Jesus is real

Forum List

Back