The Civil War

It wasn't the War of Northern Aggression or the War Between the States.

It wasn't a war between the states?

View attachment 462175
They've been lying to us in school all those years.
A civil war is defined as "a war between citizens of the same country." Seems plain enough.
Southerners were not citizens of the Unites States after the seceded.
That's only if you assume that a state has the right to secede on its own. I think that a state could secede if most of the rest of the country agreed to it, but otherwise, no.

It wasn't the War of Northern Aggression or the War Between the States.

It wasn't a war between the states?

View attachment 462175
They've been lying to us in school all those years.
A civil war is defined as "a war between citizens of the same country." Seems plain enough.
That's only if you assume that a state has the right to secede on its own. I think that a state could secede if most of the rest of the country agreed to it, but otherwise, no.
And by the way, if Texas wants to secede, I'd support that!!!

The Civil War was all about slavery, OK? It wasn't the War of Northern Aggression or the War Between the States. That's bullshit. It was a Civil War, and it was about slavery. Denying that is like denying that the Nazis murdered millions of Jews in concentration camps... oh, wait, you deny that, too?
It actually was not a Civil War. The Confederacy was not trying to win control of the federal government. They just wanted to be left alone. It also wasn't all about slavery. A significant number of Union states still had slavery, moron. I could spend all day tearing your claim into pieces, but I have better things to do.
Hey, when the Civil War began, slavery was legal in much of the United States. But as I've posted elsewhere, a civil war is "a war between citizens of the same country." The definition does NOT include the ambition to overthrow the government, or the desire to be left alone. It's a war between citizens of the same country, period.
Actually, the definition does include the ambition to overthrow the government, especially when we're talking about a confederation of states.

AFter the confederaate states seceded, they were no long part of the United States, so your definition doesn't apply

The Civil War was all about slavery, OK? It wasn't the War of Northern Aggression or the War Between the States. That's bullshit. It was a Civil War, and it was about slavery. Denying that is like denying that the Nazis murdered millions of Jews in concentration camps... oh, wait, you deny that, too?
The end of slavery was one of the eventual outcomes of the war. Odd that every other country that had slaves was able to ban slavery without killing a million of its own citizens...UK and France for example.

No you silly person; the Civil War was about $....as usual.

Make no mistake; that slavery was ended was a good thing and overdue. You must also be aware that the North DESTROYED the South's ECONOMY. No money for reparations.

Greg
The North destroyed the South's economy because the South made war upon the North. Remember Fort Sumpter?
Nope. Lincoln made war on the South. Ft Sumter was SC territory.
Nonsense. It was U.S. Federal Territory, and Lincoln defended it rightly on that basis. To think otherwise is to dismiss Federal authority altogether (which may be what you want to do).

The end of slavery was one of the eventual outcomes of the war. Odd that every other country that had slaves was able to ban slavery without killing a million of its own citizens...UK and France for example.

Make no mistake; that slavery was ended was a good thing and overdue. You must also be aware that the North DESTROYED the South's ECONOMY. No money for reparations.

Greg
The North destroyed the South's economy because the South made war upon the North. Remember Fort Sumpter?
Nonsense. It was U.S. Federal Territory, and Lincoln defended it rightly on that basis. To think otherwise is to dismiss Federal authority altogether (which may be what you want to do).
Nope. The laws of SC were in force within the property. Lincoln was harboring trespassers and then sent an invasion flotilla.

[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]
The states all signed on to a Perpetual Union. The only legal way to leave would be by modifying the Constitution. That would, necessarily, require a resounding majority of states. The "South" decided to try extra-legal measures. It didn't work.

If it was only about slavery, why did Lincoln offer to make slavery a Constitutional right so long as the Southern states came back into the Union?
When did Lincoln do that?
The Corwin Amendment, numskull.
Yes, I've read it, now. Pardon me for not knowing every detail of a war that happened more than 150 years ago. Lincoln was trying to make a deal; it didn't happen. So? I did know that Lincoln did NOT make the elimination of slavery a condition of a settlement early in the Civil War.

[/QUOTE]
Yes, I've read it, now. Pardon me for not knowing every detail of a war that happened more than 150 years ago. Lincoln was trying to make a deal; it didn't happen. So? I did know that Lincoln did NOT make the elimination of slavery a condition of a settlement early in the Civil War.
[/QUOTE]
That poster doesn't "pardon", just insults.

Greg
Nope. The laws of SC were in force within the property. Lincoln was harboring trespassers and then sent an invasion flotilla.
Federal troops were "trespassers"? On Federal property? That's a stretch. But hey, it's obvious that you'll deploy any bullshit excuse to justify your belief system. I'll never convince you of anything. So WHATEVER!!!!!!!

Greg
Federal troops were "trespassers"? On Federal property? That's a stretch. But hey, it's obvious that you'll deploy any bullshit excuse to justify your belief system. I'll never convince you of anything. So WHATEVER!!!!!!!
You have finally understood!

It actually was not a Civil War. The Confederacy was not trying to win control of the federal government. They just wanted to be left alone. It also wasn't all about slavery. A significant number of Union states still had slavery, moron. I could spend all day tearing your claim into pieces, but I have better things to do.
Hey, when the Civil War began, slavery was legal in much of the United States. But as I've posted elsewhere, a civil war is "a war between citizens of the same country." The definition does NOT include the ambition to overthrow the government, or the desire to be left alone. It's a war between citizens of the same country, period.
Actually, the definition does include the ambition to overthrow the government, especially when we're talking about a confederation of states.

AFter the confederaate states seceded, they were no long part of the United States, so your definition doesn't apply
A civil war is not about trying to win control of the federal government. As far as I can find, a civil war is defined as "a war between citizens of the same country." What definition do you claim?

Greg
So you're happy that I've realized that you are impervious to any logical argument of any kind... ?

Some were, but they were ALL from the same country, idiot.

Come on, you're dying to call people names for pointing out your flaws in logic.

It's OK, I don't mind. It just means you're starting to realize you don't make any sense.

Greg

Ended in name only. Then came the reality of it.

And then the shameful Jim Crow laws.

Greg
So you're happy that I've realized that you are impervious to any logical argument of any kind... ?
You seem to have gotten lost in the thread lines there. My post was saying that you finally understood "pat".

Greg
Uhm, that's a non-answer if I've ever heard one not to mention I recognise at least 2 logical fallacies.

Wether or not other countries were capable of abolishing slavery has absolutely no bearing on whether or not the US was. That's a red herring.

The same goes for your "it was about money"

The fact of the matter was that their was 1 and only 1 reason for the civil war and that was slavery. Specifically the issue of slavery being allowed to expand into new territories. An issue that caused the South to secede when Lincoln was elected.
Nope. you are wrong.

You from Yorkshire by any chance??

Greg

That Civil War?

There’s still a north-south divide in Great Britain.

Forum List

Back