The Civil War

The North does not get to redefine, in the middle of the war, its reason for going to war. What the North proclaimed in the beginning, stands, as its reason for going to war -- and it is unchangeable. War measures halfway through the war, such as the Emancipation Proclamation that freed no slaves (and prevented close to a million slaves from achieving their freedom), have nothing to do with why the North went to war in the first place.

There would have been no American slavery without black tribal chieftains in Africa, and British and Yankee slave traders.

The reason the South gets all the blame is because of a half-century of political correctness in which only one side of the story has been told because, if you tell the Southern side, even in a scholarly manner, you open yourself up to charges of being a racist and member of the KKK who wishes we still had slavery.
Esteemed historian, Eugene D. Genovese, writes:

To speak positively about any part of this Southern tradition is to invite charges of being a racist and an apologist for slavery and segregation. We are witnessing a cultural and political atrocity
symbol8631111.png
an increasingly successful campaign by the media and an academic elite to strip young white Southerners, and arguably black Southerners as well, of their heritage, and therefore, their identity. They are being taught to forget their forebears or to remember them with shame.

Last edited:
The Civil War was all about slavery, OK? It wasn't the War of Northern Aggression or the War Between the States. That's bullshit. It was a Civil War, and it was about slavery. Denying that is like denying that the Nazis murdered millions of Jews in concentration camps... oh, wait, you deny that, too?
The end of slavery was one of the eventual outcomes of the war. Odd that every other country that had slaves was able to ban slavery without killing a million of its own citizens...UK and France for example.

No you silly person; the Civil War was about $....as usual.

Make no mistake; that slavery was ended was a good thing and overdue. You must also be aware that the North DESTROYED the South's ECONOMY. No money for reparations.

Greg
The North destroyed the South's economy because the South made war upon the North. Remember Fort Sumpter?
I do remember. Do you remember that they shot at Sumpter because they seceded from the Union? Do you remember the reason they did that?
Yes; it was then Sth Carolina so a part of the Confederate States; the Union soldiers were trespassing. Re-inforcing the fort was an act of war. Also, Ft Sumter was about 85 Union Troops of whom 84 survived....ONE died when his cannon blew up!!!

btw: your buddy Marx said:

"In October 1861 Marx, who was living in Primrose Hill, summed up the view of the British press: ‘The war between the North and South is a tariff war. The war is, further, not for any principle, does not touch the question of slavery and in fact turns on Northern lust for sovereignty.’ That view was shared by Charles Dickens, who wrote: ‘The Northern onslaught upon slavery is no more than a piece of specious humbug disguised to conceal its desire for economic control of the United States.’"

Greg

What the War Between The States was really about........https://www.lewrockwell.com/2020/07/no_author/why-the-civil-war-wasnt-about-slavery/Why the Civil War Wasn’t About Slavery - LewRockwell
You had Southern White Democrats who thought black people were sub human and shouldnt be allowed to be free. That thought has continued by the Democrat party even today.
1860sDemocratPartyPoster.jpg

Slave owners were people of illl repute. Too lazy to do the work themselves and too cheap to actually pay for labor. To believe another human could actually be property is unfathomable. To use lashing and whipping to control a group of people was inhumane and repugnant.

World history reveals that over the course of human history, freedom was far more the rarity than the rule.

We are actually headed back to the more natural state of human slavery as we speak.

Slave owners were people of illl repute. Too lazy to do the work themselves and too cheap to actually pay for labor. To believe another human could actually be property is unfathomable. To use lashing and whipping to control a group of people was inhumane and repugnant.

Slaves did not come cheap....they were very valuable and a Plantation Owner's wealth was measured by how many slaves he had.

Slavery was not invented by Southern Plantation Owners....it had been a legal institution for thousands of years.....quite a step upward for African Negroes in fact....before they started selling slaves(who were considered booty by a chief who had defeated another tribe)they were executed or eaten.

Those who were sold into slavery and were sent to America were very fortunate indeed....not only escaping death at the hand of a tribal chief but lucky also in that they were not sent to S. America where the great majority of them went....where they were treated very inhumanely.

On Southern plantations they were well cared for.....good heathy food, clothing, and housing all provided free....many of them became Christians had families and lived to be quite old.

They were allowed to raise some crops of their own which they could sell or use to barter with. Those that were freed later on during the war grew very nostalgic in their old age for the Plantation Life.

After work was done, the slaves would smoke, sing, tell ghost stories, dance, play music with homemade fiddles. Saturday was work day like any other day. We had all legal holidays. Christmas morning we went to the big house and got presents and had a big time all day. At corn shucking all the slaves from other plantations would come to the barn, the fiddler would sit on top of the highest barrel of corn, and play all kinds of songs. When we wanted to meet at night we had an old conk, we blew that. We all would meet on the Potomac River and sing across the river to the slaves in Virginia, and they would sing back to us. — James V. Deane, enslaved in Maryland

Irving E. Lowry......former slave.......
"Born a slave in 1850 and nineteen years later admitted as the first student to Claflin University, the author downplays the brutality of slave life, offering instead a series of sketches of plantation life, including descriptions of possum hunting, log rolling, corn shucking, church services, and Christmas celebrations." - H-CivWar
"South Carolina native, former slave, Methodist Episcopal Church minister, educator, and author Irving Lowery promoted holiness across the state." -The Fire Spreads, Holiness and Pentecostalism in the American South (2010)

In 1911, former South Carolina slave Irving E. Lowery (1850–1929) published a book on his "Life on the Old Plantation in Ante-Bellum Days."

He opens his book by recalling “the wonderful old plantation” on which he lived with forty other. He goes on to tell the story of a pastoral life where the barns were “full to overflowing” with sustenance, the fruit trees and grape vines were laden with fruit, and the cattle grazed leisurely under “a large and beautiful walnut tree”. His fellow slaves were identified as “a fine-looking set of human beings” which, thanks to the Christian traits of John Frierson, the plantation owner of Pudden Swamp, were “warmly clad, well fed and humanely treated”.

The slave-owner's treatment clearly paid off, as “such things as bloodhounds and slave traders were scarce in that community ... it was a rare thing for slaves to be bought and sold in that neighborhood”. The narrative ends with Lowery writing of “The Breaking Up of the Old Plantation” when, on “a beautiful spring day” in 1865, Frierson stood before his slaves, telling them that “you are no longer my slaves, but you all are now free,” concluding with the wish that they would remain “friends and good neighbors” whether they would decide to work for him or try to make it on their own.
Lowey would eventually leave the plantation and become a teacher and Methodist minister completing his education at Claflin and Wesleyan Academy in Massachusetts before going back south to teach and preach.

Last edited:
The Civil War was all about slavery, OK? It wasn't the War of Northern Aggression or the War Between the States. That's bullshit. It was a Civil War, and it was about slavery. Denying that is like denying that the Nazis murdered millions of Jews in concentration camps... oh, wait, you deny that, too?
The end of slavery was one of the eventual outcomes of the war. Odd that every other country that had slaves was able to ban slavery without killing a million of its own citizens...UK and France for example.

No you silly person; the Civil War was about $....as usual.

Make no mistake; that slavery was ended was a good thing and overdue. You must also be aware that the North DESTROYED the South's ECONOMY. No money for reparations.

Greg
The North destroyed the South's economy because the South made war upon the North. Remember Fort Sumpter?
I do remember. Do you remember that they shot at Sumpter because they seceded from the Union? Do you remember the reason they did that?
Yes; it was then Sth Carolina so a part of the Confederate States; the Union soldiers were trespassing. Re-inforcing the fort was an act of war. Also, Ft Sumter was about 85 Union Troops of whom 84 survived....ONE died when his cannon blew up!!!

btw: your buddy Marx said:

"In October 1861 Marx, who was living in Primrose Hill, summed up the view of the British press: ‘The war between the North and South is a tariff war. The war is, further, not for any principle, does not touch the question of slavery and in fact turns on Northern lust for sovereignty.’ That view was shared by Charles Dickens, who wrote: ‘The Northern onslaught upon slavery is no more than a piece of specious humbug disguised to conceal its desire for economic control of the United States.’"

Greg
And what made South Carolima decide they didn't want to be part of the Union anymore?
$$$$$$$$

As Marx said; it was a TARIFF WAR. do look it up. Remember that the North's Industrial base had tremendous clout and paid few taxes.

In May of 1860 the U. S. Congress passed the Morrill Tariff Bill (named for Republican Congressman and steel manufacturer, Justin S. Morrill of Vermont) raising the average tariff from about 15% to 37% with increases to 47% within three years. Although this was remarkably reminiscent of the Tariffs of Abomination which had led in 1832 to a constitutional crisis and threats of secession and armed force, the U. S. House of Representatives passed the Bill 105 to 64. Out of 40 Southern Congressmen only one Tennessee Congressman voted for it.

U. S. tariff revenues already fell disproportionately on the South, accounting for 87% of the total even before the Morrill Tariff. While the tariff protected Northern industrial interests, it raised the cost of living and commerce in the South substantially. It also reduced the trade value of their agricultural exports to Europe. These combined to place a severe economic hardship on many Southern states. Even more galling was that 80% or more of these tax revenues were expended on Northern public works and industrial subsidies, thus further enriching the North at the expense of the South.

In the 1860 election, Lincoln, a former Whig and great admirer of Henry Clay, campaigned for the high protective tariff provisions of the Morrill Tariff, which had also been incorporated into the Republican Party Platform. Thaddeus Stevens, the most powerful Republican in Congress and one of the co-sponsors of the Morrill Tariff, told an audience in New York City on September 27, 1860, that the two most important issues of the Presidential campaign were preventing the extension of slavery to new states and an increase in the tariff, but that the most important of the two was increasing the tariff. Stevens, a Pennsylvania iron manufacturer, was also one of the most radical abolitionists in Congress. He told the New York audience that the tariff would enrich the northeastern states and impoverish the southern and western states, but that it was essential for advancing national greatness and the prosperity of industrial workers. Stevens, who would become virtually the “boss’ of America after the assassination of Lincoln, advised the crowd that if Southern leaders objected, they would be rounded up and hanged.

Two days before Lincoln’s election in November of 1860, an editorial in the Charleston Mercury summed up the feeling of South Carolina on the impending national crisis:

The real causes of dissatisfaction in the South with the North, are in the unjust taxation and expenditure of the taxes by the Government of the United States, and in the revolution the North has effected in this government, from a confederated republic, to a national sectional despotism.”

Marx was of course a pos, but probably right on this.

btw: I am NOT rusted on wrt causes.....but in EVERY War/Revolution I've looked at over the years, the root has been $ and the justifications by the winners after the event were MORAL issues. The problem is trying, as the DemoKKKrats are doing, demonising others using some historic canards.

Greg
Marx was certain the war was over slavery. You didn't read the link I gave you.
Marx stated that the media of the time: The Times, The Economist etc.... were of the opinion that it was a tariff war. He was right on that. The rest.....as I said; Marx was a pos.

Greg

The Jews in Europe were not uneducated and sold by their parents into slavery.
The Jews ran businesses and were doing quite well.
Germany actually admitted such and has been giving reparations.

That largely depends on when and where you grew up.

I grew up in the North in the 1950s and 1960s. Therefore the Civil War was about slavery.

Had I grown up in the South I would have learned it was about states rights and was a war of northern aggression.

I was brought up here in England so my American Civil War education didn't take place at school but during breaks in the playground. In 1965 and at the age of ten a set of ACW News trading cards by Topps, became all the rage with schoolkids all over the UK.

1614183627372.png
1614183731336.png

1614183824179.png
1614183850033.png

1614184110889.png
1614184147807.png

Numbered from 1 The Angry Man John Brown's assault at Harpers Ferry. To -
88. The War Ends. General Robert E Lee signing the instrument of surrender at Appomattox Court House to General Ulysses S Grant.

It really was a fantastic way of educating primary school kids. You got chewing gum, five trading cards, and two Confederate States of America banknotes.
The trading cards were really good quality. Very explicit and gory scenes (would never be allowed now) in bright bold colours. On the back a very detailed story of the scene in the form of a front-page newspaper exclusive.
I was the first at my school to get the set. It also inspired me to win the school's first prize in the Brooke Bond Travel Scholarship Art Competition with my painting of a depiction of the Battle of Gettysburg. It also inspired me to go on and study the Civil War through the library which developed into a lifelong interest.

Topps followed up with a WWll trading card collection. I already knew a lot about that as my dad was in the RAF and had an extensive library. I remember the most sought-after cards in that collection had been banned and featured two cards that depicted US servicemen being tortured by Japanese guards.
Obviously, Topps was a US company and I've often wondered if the ACW trading card
craze was as big with you guys in the US as it was here?

Anyone remember the cards?

I grew up in the North in the 1950s and 1960s. Therefore the Civil War was about slavery.

Had I grown up in the South I would have learned it was about states rights and was a war of northern aggression.

I was brought up here in England so my American Civil War education didn't take place at school but during breaks in the playground. In 1965 and at the age of ten a set of ACW News trading cards by Topps, became all the rage with schoolkids all over the UK.

View attachment 461186View attachment 461187
View attachment 461188View attachment 461189
View attachment 461192View attachment 461193

88. The War Ends. General Robert E Lee signing the instrument of surrender at Appomattox Court House to General Ulysses S Grant.

It really was a fantastic way of educating primary school kids. You got chewing gum, five trading cards, and two Confederate States of America banknotes.
The trading cards were really good quality. Very explicit and gory scenes (would never be allowed now) in bright bold colours. On the back a very detailed story of the scene in the form of a front-page newspaper exclusive.
I was the first at my school to get the set. It also inspired me to win the school's first prize in the Brooke Bond Travel Scholarship Art Competition with my painting of a depiction of the Battle of Gettysburg. It also inspired me to go on and study the Civil War through the library which developed into a lifelong interest.

Topps followed up with a WWll trading card collection. I already knew a lot about that as my dad was in the RAF and had an extensive library. I remember the most sought-after cards in that collection had been banned and featured two cards that depicted US servicemen being tortured by Japanese guards.
Obviously, Topps was a US company and I've often wondered if the ACW trading card

I’ve studied the War of Northern Aggression since I was a little boy (a long time). I’ve visited every major battlefield and historical site. It was a terrible war that never should have occurred, had we had competent leadership. Many members of my Dad’s family fought in the war for the North, though they resided in eastern Tennessee. I have a photograph somewhere of the headstone of one of my ancestors who died outside Atlanta in 1864, at the age of 19. He was in Sherman’s army.

I’ve never seen the Topps trading cards you mention.

Those trading cards sound like a good educational tool.

The South tried to leave the Union to keep the institution of Chattel Slavery of the Negro race not only alive forever, but also expanding into new territories.

The Union was not going to let that happen without a fight.

It was all about slavery in perpetuity, selling children!

I’ve studied the War of Northern Aggression since I was a little boy (a long time). I’ve visited every major battlefield and historical site. It was a terrible war that never should have occurred, had we had competent leadership. Many members of my Dad’s family fought in the war for the North, though they resided in eastern Tennessee. I have a photograph somewhere of the headstone of one of my ancestors who died outside Atlanta in 1864, at the age of 19. He was in Sherman’s army.

As a teenager visiting the battlefields Bull Run. Gettysburg, Chickamauga etc was my top holiday ambition but regrettably, I never got to do it mainly because I couldn't find anyone interested enough to accompany me.
Yes, it cost I think around 800,000 lives. I remember I read that the accuracy of rifles had improved greatly from previous wars.
Do you have any letters or handed-down stories from your Dad's family members?
I'm sure I won't be the only one very interested in reading them.

Here is a link where you can view the entire Topps Trading Card Collection. -

Those trading cards sound like a good educational tool.
Yea they really were - I've posted a link where you can view them all.
I'm trying to find a site that shows the ACW News on the other side of the picture cards.

Resolved, That the United States ought to co-operate with any State which may adopt a gradual abolishment of slavery, giving to such State pecuniary aid, to be used by such State in its discretion to compensate for the inconveniences, public and private, produced by such change of system.

Lincoln offered compensation for freed slaves.
By turning it down, slave owners ended up with nothing and 300,000 dead

Slavery was inextricable from the economic questions, so it is false to try to separate the two. The South was addicted and couldn't change while the rest of the country couldn't continue with it. The South would not accept legal resolution, so chose illegal. Partisans may not agree, but you know what opinions are like.

Slavery would have eventually ended on its own but would have probably lasted another 25 years as it was slowly phased out. Slave owners would have been compensated for their lost “property”. Rather than freedom, an Apartheid type system probably would have been instituted.

By seceding and going to war against the US, Slavery ended in four years and slave owners got nothing but ruined plantations

As a teenager visiting the battlefields Bull Run. Gettysburg, Chickamauga etc was my top holiday ambition but regrettably, I never got to do it mainly because I couldn't find anyone interested enough to accompany me.
Yes, it cost I think around 800,000 lives. I remember I read that the accuracy of rifles had improved greatly from previous wars.

The only story that comes to mind is a relative who was a preacher. Many of my ancestors were devout Christians and abolitionists. The preacher had been railing against slavery in his sermons. The local Confederates got tired of it and arrested him. They tied him up behind a horse and dragged him to town for prosecution. It was several miles. He was an older man and over weight. He died on the way. Probably a heart attack.

We don’t know how many in my family fought, but it had to be a fairly large number. Probably over 20. All for the north, as far as I know. I’ve visited some of their gravesites. Most of the them are uncared for and badly deteriorated. One ancestor was a major in the Union army. His grave stone was replaced by a local historical society in the 70s. It still looks good. He survived the war, but was wounded several times. Came home to his wife and kids, but died in 1869. I believe he was only 29.

Some try to say slavery was not so bad. Uhhhh, would you work for no wages under the threat of being beaten. The more I research the more angry I become at the repugnant anti Christian slave owners and I'm as white as it gets.

The only story that comes to mind is a relative who was a preacher. Many of my ancestors were devout Christians and abolitionists. The preacher had been railing against slavery in his sermons. The local Confederates got tired of it and arrested him. They tied him up behind a horse and dragged him to town for prosecution. It was several miles. He was an older man and over weight. He died on the way. Probably a heart attack.

We don’t know how many in my family fought, but it had to be a fairly large number. Probably over 20. All for the north, as far as I know. I’ve visited some of their gravesites. Most of the them are uncared for and badly deteriorated. One ancestor was a major in the Union army. His grave stone was replaced by a local historical society in the 70s. It still looks good. He survived the war, but was wounded several times. Came home to his wife and kids, but died in 1869. I believe he was only 29.
It must have been difficult for your family to remain loyal and continue to support the Union when Tennesee seceded. I know there were eastern counties that tried to remain loyal but they were deep inside Confederate territory.
A copper in the UK got dragged by the ankle after catching gypsies red-handed attempting to steal a Quad Bike. Trying to get away they released the bike but left the rope Lasoo trailing. The copper who was young and with an athletic build got his ankle caught and dragged for around a mile. They couldn't do more than about 35mph on the rough country trail that was full of potholes but the copper suffered massive internal injuries and was dead before they finally stopped. So an older overweight guy would not have much chance of being dragged several miles even going considerably slower. They must have known it would kill him.
You no doubt watched the Ken Burns American Civil War series. You'd think it would be near impossible to make an entire series just using still photo's but it was the personal letters they readout that made it for me.
They used to write really deep passionate and emotional letters in those days and very few that didn't mention God.
Apparently, if a soldier got shot and could sit up the first thing he'd been told to do was check that the bullet hadn't made contact with any vital organs. If it had he knew that he would die from the infection.

Anyway thanks for that it was really interesting.

Money and political power was the bottom line.

Forum List

Back