Texans Getting High Electric Bills

okfine

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2019
Gold Coast
Some are paying in excess of $.95 per kWh. Some days it varies but that amount is excessive.
I live in a city that pays more for electricity than any city in CA. Sometimes up to $.35 kWh.
Not being on the national grid has it's consequences.

"Having conserved power after briefly losing it twice during rolling blackouts, Astrein, 36, said he was shocked when he logged on to view his electric bill from his provider, Griddy: $2,796.85 since Feb. 1.
Ahead of the storms, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, which manages about 90 percent of the state’s electric load, underestimated how much power it would need. Because Texas is the only state in the Lower 48 that operates an independent electric grid, it could not receive help from neighboring states. Supply could not keep up with demand, leading the Public Utility Commission of Texas, which regulates Texas utility rates, to raise energy prices in an emergency meeting Monday."

How did they get a bill today for energy used 60 hours ago?

Not saying it won't happen but seems rather dubious to me. Maybe some people pay by the week....

Time for Texas to get with the program otherwise left on their own with problems. Bitching doesn't produce juice.

I don't think rushing into renewable energy is prudent evidenced by last week in Texas....that much is for sure...and Texans are already paying through the nose for an experimental power generation program....same in CA...the writing is on the wall...renewables need more time and study before we implement them....

Some are paying in excess of $.95 per kWh. Some days it varies but that amount is excessive.
I live in a city that pays more for electricity than any city in CA. Sometimes up to $.35 kWh.

"Having conserved power after briefly losing it twice during rolling blackouts, Astrein, 36, said he was shocked when he logged on to view his electric bill from his provider, Griddy: $2,796.85 since Feb. 1.
Ahead of the storms, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, which manages about 90 percent of the state’s electric load, underestimated how much power it would need. Because Texas is the only state in the Lower 48 that operates an independent electric grid, it could not receive help from neighboring states. Supply could not keep up with demand, leading the Public Utility Commission of Texas, which regulates Texas utility rates, to raise energy prices in an emergency meeting Monday."

A properly regulated utility would never allow a company to do business with the public under those terms.

A properly regulated utility would never allow a company to do business with the public under those terms.
The federal regulations are what dictate metering costs.

Joe Biden’s DoE head dictated a $1500/Mw charge.

There is no “national grid”.
Over State lines in 48 States is national to me. They could have gotten juice from Nevada like CA does.

The US has regional power grids, which operate independently. In most cases yes they bleed over state lines because many of the power sources are dams on rivers that divide states. Texas just happens to be so big it has an entire regional power grid within it, but it also has three other grids shared with other states.

Over State lines in 48 States is national to me. They could have gotten juice from Nevada like CA does.

The US has regional power grids, which operate independently. In most cases yes they bleed over state lines because many of the power sources are dams on rivers that divide states. Texas just happens to be so big it has an entire regional power grid within it, but it also has three other grids shared with other states.
They screwed their own goose.

No it doesn't dumb ass.

Maybe so, but it has nothing to do with them having their own grid, which is actually connected to another power grid by the way.

Maybe so, but it has nothing to do with them having their own grid, which is actually connected to another power grid by the way.
If they can't produce and deliver it is a huge problem and you carry on about the grid that failed.

3 grids in the US. The eastern grid, the western grid, and the Texas grid.
Completely false. An “interconnect” is not a grid, it is comprised of many regional grids, all of which are separately managed.
credible link?
Here is an example of some Western power grid areas.
WAMP-thumb-500x362-7324.jpg

Well that is the goal of green energy anyway....drive of the costs of energy......and electric bills....to curb usage.

3 grids in the US. The eastern grid, the western grid, and the Texas grid.
Completely false. An “interconnect” is not a grid, it is comprised of many regional grids, all of which are separately managed.
credible link?
Here is an example of some Western power grid areas.
WAMP-thumb-500x362-7324.jpg
No dumb ass. Those are regions of the western grid.

Forum List

Back