Winter Weather Tales From The Oil Patch

In a letter sent to the federal agency, ERCOT, the state's non-profit grid operator, said demand had unexpectedly reached an all-time winter demand record of about 74,000 megawatts Friday morning, and that generator failures had pushed the grid to the brink.

NORTH TEXAS (CBSDFW.COM) – The high winds and extremely cold temperatures leading to thousands of power outages across North Texas today.

Locally, the majority being seen in Dallas and Collin Counties. Homeowners say it's been a pain.

"I'm in the dark," Roque Garcia said. "It's the whole neighborhood."

The Princeton resident is using battery operated lights and keeping warm by the fire.

"It is very frustrating because we pay our electric bills to Oncor and all day it's been going in and out," he said.

I believe firing those CEOs would send the right message.

If we used DC, then yeah, it's just a matter of throwing a switch ... but we use AC, and we have to phase match or very bad things happen ... shockingly, it was financial reasons why the connection was so terribly delayed ... the actual physical connections are just a few hours with thousands of skill technicians on-site ...

You might be surprised what can get done when people are dying ...

No ... Texas arranged for out-of-state standby power plants to start up and provide the power for just hospitals and emergency services AND field voltage for their own power plants ... and that required Texas to comply with Federal rules regarding interstate transfer of electricity ... something Texas operators don't do in normal conditions ...

"Practical Engineering" Youtube channel did a series on grid operations, and this included an exhaustive survey of what exactly happened that faithful week in Texas ... the grid was shut down ... you should learn why that makes your comments misguided ...

Your car has an alternator, so why do you have a battery? ...
You are not making sense. Texas is its own power grid it has no connections to either of the other grids.
Yes hospitals and such even private homes have backup generators.
None of that has anything to do with putting power into the Texas electrical grid.
What in heavens name does a car battery have to do with the Texas grid?

You are not making sense. Texas is its own power grid it has no connections to either of the other grids.
Yes hospitals and such even private homes have backup generators.
None of that has anything to do with putting power into the Texas electrical grid.
What in heavens name does a car battery have to do with the Texas grid?

Field voltage ... you don't know how electricity is generated, and it's not my job to explain it to you ... Grady at "Practical Engeenering" has a whole series of Youtube videos that cover the Texas blackout ... in every detail ... including the financial issues ... please avail yourself ...

Field voltage ... you don't know how electricity is generated, and it's not my job to explain it to you ... Grady at "Practical Engeenering" has a whole series of Youtube videos that cover the Texas blackout ... in every detail ... including the financial issues ... please avail yourself ...
I am well aware of how electricity is generated and how it is transmitted even how it is used. You whole pretense of your replies is built on nothing. But thank you for playing, you do not even win our home game.

Also stop thinking that a course from youtube university qualifies you as knowing anything about a subject

Also stop thinking that a course from youtube university qualifies you as knowing anything about a subject
bconu5nf5b8a1.jpg

Forum List

Back