Teacher fired for refusing to give students a score of 50% on assignments they failed to turn in.

In life there is no one size fits all answer. And that is exactly what most public education curriculums failingly try to implement. Any group trying to put together a successful educational system should be required to read, and understand “The Bell Curve”. Till then they’re just pissing in the wind. Not to mention pissing away taxpayer dollars, and countless thousands of children’s futures...

Continuous improvement is the ability to recognize improvement from where you started to where you currently are. The Bell Curve shows a distribution of points along the curve, but it doesn't define the point at which the curve has to start or end, because those points can change and still be represented in the curve.

From looking at the note she left her students on the white board this teacher doesn’t sound like she’s got all her screws tight. Either that or she lacks maturity and sophistication. She had only been at the school for a few months and it sounds like she wasn’t cutting it. I’m not seeing the 0% thing as a reason for the firing except by her proclaimation. The schools letter said that there is no penalty for giving zeros and made a vague statement about her relationship with the students. Like with most things, I believe there is more to this story.

Florida teacher says she was fired for refusing to give students partial credit on an assignment they didn't turn in

A teacher in Port St. Lucie, Fla., says that she was fired for refusing to give students partial credit for work they did not turn in to her.

According to WCMH, after many students didn’t hand in an Explorer Notebook project, Diana Tirado, an eighth-grade history teacher at West Gate, gave them a zero for a grade. According to Tirado, she was let go because of the school’s no-zero policy, allegedly included in the student and parent handbook.

“But what if they don’t turn it in, and they say we’ll give them a 50. Oh no we don’t,” Tirado told WCMH.

Tirado, who was still in her probationary period, was terminated from her position on Sept. 14. However, no clause was mentioned in the letter from the principal.

According to WFTV, a chief information officer for West Gate said in a statement: “There is no district or individual school policy prohibiting teachers from recording a grade of zero for work not turned in. The district’s uniform grading system utilizes letter grades A-F, numerical grades 100 to zero and grade point averages from four to zero.”

Tirado, who says, “Teaching is a calling for me,” claims she was told never to give a student a zero.

“I’m so upset, because we have a nation of kids that are expecting to get paid and live their life just for showing up, and it’s not real,” the teacher said.

On Tirado’s last day, she wrote a message on her whiteboard to the students and posted it on Facebook...

9kLfeId.jpg

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

I smell a rat.

You know, when I was in HS, I had a teacher in both my senior year geometry class, and in my senior literature class who told us that we didn't have to do homework if we didn't want to, but that would also mean that our whole grade for the year would be based solely on tests.

If you did the homework, then it would be 50 percent test scores, and 50 percent what you did on homework. They told us that at the beginning of the class and gave us the option to opt out.

Interestingly enough, I never did homework assignments, but I did pay attention in class and learned the material. Had a B average in both those classes.

The grading scale makes some sense to me. With 90% being an "A", 80% a "B", and so on down to 50% equaling "F".

It sort of averages out an "A" with a "F" to come up with a "C".
In comparison a 0% and 100% averages out to a 50% which yields an "F".

If you take a job, don't you have to play by your employers handbook?

I think it's a stupid rule too, but I don't make the rules.

Unions aren't the problem. Messed up kids from messed up parents now rule the day. Unless schools are allowed to remove distractions from classrooms how are teachers supposed to function?

Forum List

Back