A Black High School Student Says A Teacher Pushed Her Into A Wall For Not Saying The Pledge Of Allegiance

Is this teacher in the right or the wrong?
The teacher shouldn't have singled anyone out and certainly shouldn't have laid hands on the girl. It needs to be investigated to see if there were ulterior motives but I wouldn't immediately jump to a charge of racism. It could be, but there is no proof without an investigation. She shamed the kid publicly, she should be compelled to apologize publicly or find a new job.

The teacher shouldn't have singled anyone out and certainly shouldn't have laid hands on the girl. It needs to be investigated to see if there were ulterior motives but I wouldn't immediately jump to a charge of racism. It could be, but there is no proof without an investigation. She shamed the kid publicly, she should be compelled to apologize publicly or find a new job.
No student is exempt for physical restraint when required, as this child was. She follows rules, she violates them knowingly and pays the price.

The family of a South Carolina ninth grader is suing her school after they said a teacher pushed the 15-year-old into a wall because she refused to take the Pledge of Allegiance.

The lawsuit filed on Feb. 13 alleges that Marissa Barnwell, who attends River Bluff High School, was on her way to class on Nov. 29, 2022, when special education teacher Nicole Livingston confronted her in the hall as the pledge was playing over the school’s loudspeaker. The teacher allegedly demanded she stop walking and recite the pledge.

The lawsuit names the South Carolina Department of Education, Lexington County School District One, Livingston, and principal Jacob Smith, accusing them of negligence and violating Barnwell’s civil rights.

Speaking at a press conference on Thursday, Barnwell said she was “completely and utterly disrespected” and that no one should ever have gone through what she experienced.

“I have never seen this lady a day in my life so when she approached me so angry and so upset I had not known what to react to her,” Barnwell said. “So she approached me, she grabbed me, she pushed me up against the wall, and I was not prepared for that.”

She said she stopped participating in the pledge of allegiance in third grade because she believes that the message of “liberty and justice for all” does not apply to everyone in the US.

“In those pledges, you say ‘liberty and justice for all’ but is America really liberty and justice for all?” she said.

Barnwell added she has continued attending the school, but she’s been upset by the fact that Livingston didn’t face any kind of consequence. The school district and the state department of education did not immediately return BuzzFeed News' request for a comment.

“No one has apologized, no one has acknowledged my hurt, the fact that the school is defending that kind of behavior is unimaginable,” Barnwell said.

According to the lawsuit, Livingston took an “upset and emotionally disturbed” Barnwell to the principal's office after the alleged assault. Smith, the principal, then allegedly told Barnwell he would review the security footage and sent her back to class.

Surveillance video provided to BuzzFeed News shows the teacher confronting Barnwell as other students and adults also walk through the hall. Shavell Barnwell, her father, questioned why she was singled out.

“Why would the teacher single out my daughter when you could clearly see that other students are walking in this video, but that particular day she zoomed in on my daughter and when she grabbed her, you could see the grab was a forceful grab and you could see she was holding on to her with aggression,” he said at the press conference.

Marissa Barnwell said she believes it was because she was the only Black girl in the hallway.

Can't believe anything blacks say.

~~~~~~
All schools now have CCTVs to monitor the halls. Let's see the tapes. Do we have a reincarnation of Tawanna Brawley here?
The teacher is correct. Your high Schooler was disrespecting the flag and America.

The teacher is wrong and should probably go to prison.

Students CANNOT be forced to salute the flag. This has been settled law for eighty years now.

Amazing how that narrative changes when it comes to the folks who raided the Capitol on 1/6.

I am a disabled vet, WTF have you done?

You're full of shit.

A few things going on here:

The teacher should not have touched the student, within the context of this story, period.

In the article, the student says that she hasn't stood for the pledge since 3rd grade because she doesn't believe the pledge means what it says, "liberty and justice for all".

Since 3rd grade? How many 8 year olds can read and hear the pledge and make that distinction or decision for themselves? It's plausible, but unlikely. You're 8 years old, where does this idea come from?

I thought it was creepy since about age ten.

Cutoff is usually either end of September or November, so it tell me you dropped out in the third grade!

Also fifteen years old means she failed a year but a race baiting loser like you can’t do math!

No, the cutoff is frequently the calendar year. My brother was held out of school for a year because my mother thought (with reason) that he was too small for it. (He wore infant clothes to age 2 and toddler sizes to at least age 5.) In second grade, he was once mistaken for a kindergartener.

The teacher stopped her movement, held her in place until the pledge was completed, chewed her out, and sent her on her way. Here is one: the student at school is not in charge.

No: the teacher ASSAULTED her, violated civil rights (students CANNOT be forced to say the pledge, this has been settled for eight decades), and possibly committed unlawful restraint. Teacher should go to prison, student would have been 100% right to simply KNOCK THE TEACHER UNCONSCIOUS.

No student is exempt for physical restraint when required, as this child was. She follows rules, she violates them knowingly and pays the price.

That's wrong. Continuing to repeat it is a lie.

The student does not have to salute the flag or say the pledge. The rule is the student stands silently for the twenty seconds and not talk.

The student refused the command to stop, the teacher grabbed her and held her against wall, rightfully and legally, until the pledge was over.

If the student had resisted forcefully, it would have been assault and lawfully chargeable.

The students school records need to be flagged and she sent to anger management classes.

Last edited:
The student does not have to salute the flag or say the pledge. The rule is the student stands silently for the twenty seconds and not talk.

The student refused the command to stop, the teacher grabbed her and held her against wall, rightfully and legally, until the pledge was over.

If the student had resisted forcefully, it would have been assault and lawfully chargeable.

The students school records need to be flagged and she sent to anger management classes.

No, the teacher ASSAULTED her and should probably have been pulped for it. Serious prison time is entirely appropriate. The student reacted EXACTLY appropriately when assaulted.

When I was in 9th grade I saw a guy pick a guy up by the throat and slam the back of his head into a locker lock.

He want into convulsions. There was a hole/dent in the back of his head the size of the locker lock knob.

And there was blood and twitching.

So long as she wasn't singled out. It sounds like she was if the CCTV shows others doing the same thing but being ignored. Also, teachers, especially these days, have no business laying hands on students. It's an invitation to really bad outcomes these days. It's different if the student gets physical first. Again, that isn't what was reported and that's why it needs investigating. IMO, anyone who takes a hard stance on the value of MSM-reported events, is asking to look like a fool. Most of their reporting is biased BS.

So long as she wasn't singled out. It sounds like she was if the CCTV shows others doing the same thing but being ignored. Also, teachers, especially these days, have no business laying hands on students. It's an invitation to really bad outcomes these days. It's different if the student gets physical first. Again, that isn't what was reported and that's why it needs investigating. IMO, anyone who takes a hard stance on the value of MSM-reported events, is asking to look like a fool. Most of their reporting is biased BS.
In Georgia, it is illegal to restrain a student except when the student presents an immediate danger to themself or others.

The family of a South Carolina ninth grader is suing her school after they said a teacher pushed the 15-year-old into a wall because she refused to take the Pledge of Allegiance.

The lawsuit filed on Feb. 13 alleges that Marissa Barnwell, who attends River Bluff High School, was on her way to class on Nov. 29, 2022, when special education teacher Nicole Livingston confronted her in the hall as the pledge was playing over the school’s loudspeaker. The teacher allegedly demanded she stop walking and recite the pledge.

The lawsuit names the South Carolina Department of Education, Lexington County School District One, Livingston, and principal Jacob Smith, accusing them of negligence and violating Barnwell’s civil rights.

Speaking at a press conference on Thursday, Barnwell said she was “completely and utterly disrespected” and that no one should ever have gone through what she experienced.

“I have never seen this lady a day in my life so when she approached me so angry and so upset I had not known what to react to her,” Barnwell said. “So she approached me, she grabbed me, she pushed me up against the wall, and I was not prepared for that.”

She said she stopped participating in the pledge of allegiance in third grade because she believes that the message of “liberty and justice for all” does not apply to everyone in the US.

“In those pledges, you say ‘liberty and justice for all’ but is America really liberty and justice for all?” she said.

Barnwell added she has continued attending the school, but she’s been upset by the fact that Livingston didn’t face any kind of consequence. The school district and the state department of education did not immediately return BuzzFeed News' request for a comment.

“No one has apologized, no one has acknowledged my hurt, the fact that the school is defending that kind of behavior is unimaginable,” Barnwell said.

According to the lawsuit, Livingston took an “upset and emotionally disturbed” Barnwell to the principal's office after the alleged assault. Smith, the principal, then allegedly told Barnwell he would review the security footage and sent her back to class.

Surveillance video provided to BuzzFeed News shows the teacher confronting Barnwell as other students and adults also walk through the hall. Shavell Barnwell, her father, questioned why she was singled out.

“Why would the teacher single out my daughter when you could clearly see that other students are walking in this video, but that particular day she zoomed in on my daughter and when she grabbed her, you could see the grab was a forceful grab and you could see she was holding on to her with aggression,” he said at the press conference.

Marissa Barnwell said she believes it was because she was the only Black girl in the hallway.

The teacher was wrong.

No, the teacher ASSAULTED her and should probably have been pulped for it. Serious prison time is entirely appropriate. The student reacted EXACTLY appropriately when assaulted.
You clearly do not know the law. The law is a child stands while pledge is recited. The child broke the law, the teacher enforced it with the minimal force needed. No person is above the law, including you, Jarlaxle. The student's records are going to include the disciplinary action on the student.

Forum List

Back