Teacher fired for refusing to give students a score of 50% on assignments they failed to turn in.

AsianTrumpSupporter

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2017
Democratic People's Republique de Californie
Florida teacher says she was fired for refusing to give students partial credit on an assignment they didn't turn in

A teacher in Port St. Lucie, Fla., says that she was fired for refusing to give students partial credit for work they did not turn in to her.

According to WCMH, after many students didn’t hand in an Explorer Notebook project, Diana Tirado, an eighth-grade history teacher at West Gate, gave them a zero for a grade. According to Tirado, she was let go because of the school’s no-zero policy, allegedly included in the student and parent handbook.

“But what if they don’t turn it in, and they say we’ll give them a 50. Oh no we don’t,” Tirado told WCMH.

Tirado, who was still in her probationary period, was terminated from her position on Sept. 14. However, no clause was mentioned in the letter from the principal.

According to WFTV, a chief information officer for West Gate said in a statement: “There is no district or individual school policy prohibiting teachers from recording a grade of zero for work not turned in. The district’s uniform grading system utilizes letter grades A-F, numerical grades 100 to zero and grade point averages from four to zero.”

Tirado, who says, “Teaching is a calling for me,” claims she was told never to give a student a zero.

“I’m so upset, because we have a nation of kids that are expecting to get paid and live their life just for showing up, and it’s not real,” the teacher said.

On Tirado’s last day, she wrote a message on her whiteboard to the students and posted it on Facebook...

9kLfeId.jpg

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Florida teacher says she was fired for refusing to give students partial credit on an assignment they didn't turn in

A teacher in Port St. Lucie, Fla., says that she was fired for refusing to give students partial credit for work they did not turn in to her.

According to WCMH, after many students didn’t hand in an Explorer Notebook project, Diana Tirado, an eighth-grade history teacher at West Gate, gave them a zero for a grade. According to Tirado, she was let go because of the school’s no-zero policy, allegedly included in the student and parent handbook.

“But what if they don’t turn it in, and they say we’ll give them a 50. Oh no we don’t,” Tirado told WCMH.

Tirado, who was still in her probationary period, was terminated from her position on Sept. 14. However, no clause was mentioned in the letter from the principal.

According to WFTV, a chief information officer for West Gate said in a statement: “There is no district or individual school policy prohibiting teachers from recording a grade of zero for work not turned in. The district’s uniform grading system utilizes letter grades A-F, numerical grades 100 to zero and grade point averages from four to zero.”

Tirado, who says, “Teaching is a calling for me,” claims she was told never to give a student a zero.

“I’m so upset, because we have a nation of kids that are expecting to get paid and live their life just for showing up, and it’s not real,” the teacher said.

On Tirado’s last day, she wrote a message on her whiteboard to the students and posted it on Facebook...

9kLfeId.jpg

This is the problem of what happens when POLITICIANS start getting involved in education.

The worst two things educators have to deal with are

1) bosses who haven't got a clue what the fuck their doing and;

2) Parents who haven't got a fucking clue what's going on.

9kLfeId.jpg

What a hot flaming mess of a district. They can't even have a uniform policy on GRADING and have in writing two different policies--one says you CAN give a zero and the other in the school handbook says no grades less than 50% (which is ridiculous).

That's just a mess. I feel bad for the teacher, but maybe she can get a job in a better district.

9kLfeId.jpg

What a hot flaming mess of a district. They can't even have a uniform policy on GRADING and have in writing two different policies--one says you CAN give a zero and the other in the school handbook says no grades less than 50% (which is ridiculous).

That's just a mess. I feel bad for the teacher, but maybe she can get a job in a better district.
I bet a private school scoops her up after hearing about this. Good on her! Both she, and her students deserve better than this school offers.

I don't know about Florida, but my state passed a law to have a 10 point grading scale to conform to the grade scale used by most of the nation. 60 to 69 is a D. If the lowest grade possible on an assignment is a 50, it is almost impossible to not obtain a passing average.

9kLfeId.jpg

I bet a private school scoops her up after hearing about this. Good on her! Both she, and her students deserve better than this school offers.

Some private schools are better. Some are not.

9kLfeId.jpg

Buyer beware. I’d wager to say that the large majority of private schools offer a much better education than the large majority of government schools. And when it comes to private schools; the parent, as a consumer gets to choose. So a little research is all it takes. Home schooled children fare much better on average, than the average government school. Not to mention it enrages the left to no end when they are denied access to other people’s children.

9kLfeId.jpg

This is the problem of what happens when POLITICIANS start getting involved in education.

More appropriately...
“This is the problem of what happens when THE GOVERNMENT starts getting involved in education”.

Someone do some research. The Department of Education was created under the "great" President jimmy carter in 1979 (I believe.)

Since that dept was created, how has the education in this country ranked in the world with grade school and high school ages?

Someone do some research. The Department of Education was created under the "great" President jimmy carter in 1979 (I believe.)

Since that dept was created, how has the education in this country ranked in the world with grade school and high school ages?
Comparing it to other nations is not a great tool for measuring success.

The purpose of education is not to out do Germany or the UK or whoever.

We should look at how well education worked in this nation before the department was created and how it has done since.

9kLfeId.jpg

Buyer beware. I’d wager to say that the large majority of private schools offer a much better education than the large majority of government schools. And when it comes to private schools; the parent, as a consumer gets to choose. So a little research is all it takes. Home schooled children fare much better on average, than the average government school. Not to mention it enrages the left to no end when they are denied access to other people’s children.

Public school parents get to choose too, depending in where they are. They can move, elect school of choice in or out of district, or elect private schools. Or homeschool. And I'd watch those homeschool trends now, because with the advent of prevalent "online school" I can guarantee those sterling credentials are about to go down. Abuse and neglect is hidden in "homeschooling" too, and that's just a fact.

9kLfeId.jpg

Lol, doesn't matter to you that the district policy is not what you and she claim it is? Or that no reason for letting her go is specified? Or that the administration says she isn't telling the truth? You are perfectly will to take her word for it because it makes "liberal" look bad.

Now what about Christine Ford? Ready to take her word for it now?

We should look at how well education worked in this nation before the department was created and how it has done since.
Yes, that was sort of my point. Thanks for clarifying it.

Although the Department is a relative newcomer among Cabinet-level agencies, its origins goes back to 1867, when President Andrew Johnson signed legislation creating the first Department of Education. Its main purpose was to collect information and statistics about the nation's schools. However, due to concern that the Department would exercise too much control over local schools, the new Department was demoted to an Office of Education in 1868.

Over the years, the office remained relatively small, operating under different titles and housed in various agencies, including the U.S. Department of the Interior and the former U.S. Department of Health Education and Welfare (now Health and Human Services).

Beginning in the 1950s, political and social changes resulted in expanded federal funding for education. The successful launch of the Soviet Union's Sputnik in 1957 spurred nationwide concern that led to increased aid for science education programs. The 1960s saw even more expansion of federal education funding: President Lyndon Johnson's "War on Poverty" called for the creation of many programs to improve education for poor students at all levels—early childhood through postsecondary. This expansion continued in the 1970s with national efforts to help racial minorities, women, people with disabilities and non-English speaking students gain equal access to education. In October 1979, Congress passed the Department of Education Organization Act (Public Law 96-88). Created by combining offices from several federal agencies, the Department began operations in May 1980.

In the 1860s, a budget of $15,000 and four employees handled education fact-finding. By 1965, the Office of Education had more than 2,100 employees and a budget of $1.5 billion. As of mid-2010, the Department has nearly 4,300 employees and a budget of about $60 billion.

An Overview of the U.S. Department of Education-- Pg 1

Essentially, the problem is that public education is being tasked with too much; the costly, specialized programs for children with special needs and being expected to overcome community influences in poor, crime ridden communities as if they didn't exist are two of those expectations no one institution can accomplish alone.

9kLfeId.jpg

But no fault on teachers or their unions right? :rolleyes:

9kLfeId.jpg

Are you kidding? That's not liberalism.....that is what the world is like with no tenure for teachers and no union protection.

9kLfeId.jpg

Let's not forget that private schools also get to choose their students. Public schools have no such power.

9kLfeId.jpg

Let's not forget that private schools also get to choose their students. Public schools have no such power.
True but most parents have no power of choice either and they should

One big act which could solve many problems is to repeal truancy laws.

Forum List

Back