Stolen Valor, too many get by with it.

Redbone

Feb 11, 2013
USA
Nothing irritates me more than scum that lie to try to steal that which so many military have sacrificed to defend. Those that tell lies about having served or having accomplished heroic deeds while serving are out there and on the internet. They for their own twisted sick, ego driven insanity dishonor our military and all the decent people that they deceive.

There are clues that point such people out. One primary clue is they always find excuses as to why they can not give evidence to back up their false claims. They become evasive when questioned and plead memory loss or change the story to try to cover for their mistakes.

We have such people often on the internet . There they dishonor our military heroes with their lies. We as decent people should always seek to expose such vile deceit. We should at least attempt to protect our military as they have sacrificed so much to protect us.

If you know anybody doing this wicked and vile crap speak up about it, question their story. Do not be an ally or pretend it does not matter. It matters, just as those that honorably served and sacrificed mattered to all of us that they protected. We owe those men and women at least that respect. We owe them more than we can ever truly pay but by defending their honor we can do our part , small as it may be.

Is it honorable to just ignore such lying scum? Pretend it matters not?

Stolen Valor

It takes the heart of a Warrior to find deception and take it down

It starts off simple enough. A casual mention of military service. And, oh by the way, a Purple Heart and a few other honors earned. How can you not trust a man who served his country so gallantly?
From there, confidence builds, one story weaves into even more glorious tales until, at some point, the fabrication is woven so tightly you begin to suspect...
How can one person achieve so much in such a short time? It's almost too good to be true.

Last edited:
Seems to me, there are a few here that should click the link you provided and feel shame for portaying themselves "honorable men and women" of our military...when these people are nothing more than the cowardly nematodes that they are.
But, I doubt they will...they will continue to hold on to their pathetic attempts at telling their stories no matter how many times they change up, or down, their accounts of 'honorable' service...no matter how sickening it is to those who know they are not telling the truth.

Seems to me, there are a few here that should click the link you provided and feel shame for portaying themselves "honorable men and women" of our military...when these people are nothing more than the cowardly nematodes that they are.
But, I doubt they will...they will continue to hold on to their pathetic attempts at telling their stories no matter how many times they change up, or down, their accounts of 'honorable' service...no matter how sickening it is to those who know they are not telling the truth.

There have been several here......and there still are. You can tell them right off by the way they do talk about their service... and they way it gets grander at every turn. Zona was on to a big one at one time......

Braggarts will be braggarts and they cant change their DNA.

Unfortunately it is now legal to lie about your service and anything else you want to lie about. as long as you are not gaining from the lie....

My ribbons and medals are displayed on the wall behind me. And the certificate is hanging there for anyone to view.

I get people who talk about me using real photos of myself in my avatar. I happen to be a proud retired Sergeant, It is what I was and always will be. No hero just a dogface doing his job......

Unfortunately it is now legal to lie about your service and anything else you want to lie about. as long as you are not gaining from the lie....

My ribbons and medals are displayed on the wall behind me. And the certificate is hanging there for anyone to view.

I get people who talk about me using real photos of myself in my avatar. I happen to be a proud retired Sergeant, It is what I was and always will be. No hero just a dogface doing his job......

:salute:

and just wondering ollie.... as a retired sergeant... how do you feel and think about low life scum who steal valor for themselves?

Can you spot the right off? And if so... what are some of the giveaway tells?

They usually end up giving themselves away......

I agree. That often after people start to question their tales. The key is not just accepting as gospel what they say. Quite often a few good questions and their story starts to change and then if pushed the story unravels.

I did that once to a guy at a friend's party. I sat there until I had had enough and then asked a few questions about his heroic deed. Soon he started changing the story and in about 5 minutes it was a completely different story. At that point those he had been entertaining with his lies all walked away from him in disgust. This guy had the nerve to ask me why I had to shame him like that. I told him because those that you dishonored with your lies deserve better . He spoke to nobody after that and left the party a few minutes later. I saw because I had my eyes on him as he went to the door to make his exit.

A few questions and his story fell apart. Prior to that he had his listeners nodding their heads in agreement with him as he bragged.

The real McCoy won't tell to many stories. But I admit I've stretched a few now and then.

And made one up for a bunch of privates one day, They wanted to know about war so I made up a story about Nam, I got really detailed and got into it like I was reading it from a book, ended up where my squad was down to about 6 people and we were surrounded by a battalion of VC regulars and out of ammo, I sudden got up shook my head and started to walk away, and sure enough one of them had to ask...
"What Happened"? I looked him in the eye and answered "What would you think, we were surrounded outnumbered 100 to one and out of ammo, we all died......" And walked away........I was so perfect that day.....

aha, I had guessed that you were likely a retired sergeant, the often so under appreciated
workhorses of the military. You have my thanks for your honorable service and I damn sure wish that I could buy you a few ice cold beers. :cheers2:

The real McCoy won't tell to many stories. But I admit I've stretched a few now and then.

And made one up for a bunch of privates one day, They wanted to know about war so I made up a story about Nam, I got really detailed and got into it like I was reading it from a book, ended up where my squad was down to about 6 people and we were surrounded by a battalion of VC regulars and out of ammo, I sudden got up shook my head and started to walk away, and sure enough one of them had to ask...
"What Happened"? I looked him in the eye and answered "What would you think, we were surrounded outnumbered 100 to one and out of ammo, we all died......" And walked away........I was so perfect that day.....

All good sergeants had a dozen lives. Which one were you on when you told your men that?
My friend, a Korean War Marine veteran used to say. Son, when you are getting your ass religously shot at by enemy that far outnumbers your force you start wishing you had a dozen guns to fire. Always best to make damn sure the one you have is in tip top shape!
I had to drag information from him about that war. He told me killing isn't that hard, not when you understand it is their asses or yours! I had to agree.. Fine honorable man , I miss him dearly. In fact , he is the major reason that I made this thread.

There have been several here......and there still are. You can tell them right off by the way they do talk about their service... and they way it gets grander at every turn. Zona was on to a big one at one time......

I wish you could get this Zona to contact me. I keep reading her name but haven't a clue about her. If she would pm me I'd be very grateful.

Of course you are absolutely correct. I doubt that such lying scum would ever do that. They have not enough honor to ever take that step. Apparently they are mental defectives that seek to inflate their ego by convincing others that they are heroes. Often even claiming injuries that they never received . Such ego driven cowards will never dare click a link like that to face the truth of their lying ways. Sad and pathetic excuses for human they are. They should be exposed for their deception at every chance presented.

I wish you could get this Zona to contact me. I keep reading her name but haven't a clue about her. If she would pm me I'd be very grateful.

zona is a male.... and you can look him up in the members listings.

zona is a male.... and you can look him up in the members listings.

Sorry, had no knowledge of the gender, name looked to be masculine to me.
Syrenn, I do not know if you have read but somebody has accused you of being in charge of my account here. In regards to that , they should be shown these two separate posts , both timed exactly at 9:20 one under my name and the other post under yours.
I guess that shoots down that accusation. Pity too, as the boy likely thought to use it to divert from his stupidity.:lol:
Thanks will look the guy up. Send him a pm too. I'd like to read his posts concerning the subject of stole valor.

Here are some red flags to alert you to the possibility of a wannabe:

1. "I was in special ops." (In other words, no proof is forthcoming 'cuz it's a secret...see?)

2. "I can't remember what unit I was in." (Bullshit. Nobody forgets that without having been shot in the head.)

3. "I was in so many places, I can't remember anything specific." (Maybe, but it's also a good way to hide the fact that you were never there.)

4. They don't speak military shorthand and don't recognize common military acronyms such as ETS, DEROS, BCT. (Caution: Each service has it's own internal language which outsiders don't speak.)

5. Their timeline isn't right. (For instance, I met a guy who claimed to have been back in Vietnam with the 173rd Airborne on a "special mission" in 1975. The brigade was de-activated in 1972.)

WARNING TO PHONIES: It doesn't take a real Veteran but about 5 minutes to find you out.

Yanno...................I can tell you every unit I ever served in, from 1982 until 2002.

I can also tell you how I felt about the people in my unit (using general terms, in the Navy, we call it our command).

Additionally, I can tell you just about every place I was at, you just give me the year.

Yeah................I speak Navy, not sure about what the other services call stuff. PMS to me means Periodic Maintenance Survey, which means you check the equipment and clean/repair as necessary.

My timeline? I joined in 1982 when I graduated high school, and retired in 2002 as an E-6. Nothing better than doing 2 tours of independent duty. BTW......................serving on an MSC vessel is nice...............2 man rooms and you have someone bring you your meals.

A federal judge has determined that it's legal to lie about Military service even if you defraud someone and gain from the deception.

Yanno...................I can tell you every unit I ever served in, from 1982 until 2002.

I can also tell you how I felt about the people in my unit (using general terms, in the Navy, we call it our command).

Additionally, I can tell you just about every place I was at, you just give me the year.

Yeah................I speak Navy, not sure about what the other services call stuff. PMS to me means Periodic Maintenance Survey, which means you check the equipment and clean/repair as necessary.
My timeline? I joined in 1982 when I graduated high school, and retired in 2002 as an E-6. Nothing better than doing 2 tours of independent duty. BTW......................serving on an MSC vessel is nice...............2 man rooms and you have someone bring you your meals.

At least we in the Army through a 'C' in there...periodic maintenance checks and services. :lol:

Forum List

Back