Spam is 82 today

The meat was introduced by the Hormel company this date in 1937.

Great stuff, IMHO.

I'd love to see an enterprising meat executive authorize the creation of a new kielbasa made with Spam.

Happy birthday, Spam! Hawaii's beloved canned meat turns 80

I wont call it a favorite but it like vienna sausage fed me on many a late night fishing trip.
All ya needed was some crackers and if your lucky some cheese and mustard.
Well beer was a necessity but that goes without saying.

Last edited:

Great stuff, IMHO.

I'd love to see an enterprising meat executive authorize the creation of a new kielbasa made with Spam.

I love the way it tastes, but I hate the fat content. *sigh* I probably bought 20 cans of it last year alone. You can cut it up for an omelette, cut it up for beanie weinie macaranie (chili w/beans, cut up junkfood meat, a package of macaroni, cooked, all stirred up together and heated in the microwave after placing it in assorted microwave proof cup containers for future meals). I cooked for 6 back when, now there's just me, so I just try to be sure some of everything gets put in individual containers in the freezer these days and try to remember to cook up a package of brussels sprouts or other cruciferous vegetable to go along with it. For some reason, when you get older it's important to make sure you get enough calcium to prevent bone loss, enough vitamin A and D for what ails ya, and Centrum for 50+ years. They even make vitamins that zero in on elder women issues and elder men issues in separate containers. Vitamins can save you a lot of grief, but won't give you enough calcium, because you need calcium in increments 4 times a day or your bones are toast. And that comes from reading nutritional manual updates ad nauseum. What you don't know about nutrition can hurt you. Just sayin'. Oh, yeah, and if you have bad dental habits, throw it all out the door. Brushing twice a day, before and after the day, preferably, can add about 15 years to your life. People don't know that who didn't have the smartest health studies professor who ever lived. *sigh*

seriously

I used to make my Dad spam sandwiches for lunch ... with Miracle Whip (barf)

I liked it when it was inexpensive canned meat you could store in your pantry for convenience. Now, it's so costly that you can obtain real cans of ham in small sizes for storage for far less money.

I liked it when it was inexpensive canned meat you could store in your pantry for convenience. Now, it's so costly that you can obtain real cans of ham in small sizes for storage for far less money.
Spam only has 7 grams of fat per ounce

That's not too bad

I Just Came In Here To Start A Thread About Trying SPAM

Because Of The Military, And WWII
SPAM Is Known All Over The Pacific
Travel Shows Say You're Not Hawaiian If You're Not Eating SPAM
The Dishes Look Great
Except For .... SPAM

When I Was A Kid
SPAM Was The Mystery Meat From Mars
Thought It Was Awful, Mom Was Punishing Us For Living

Back In The 80's Hormel Changed The Cuts
And Most Important...The Seasoning Recipe
I Haven't Tried It
But They Run Commercials All The Time
So, I'm Going To Take The Plunge This Weekend
All The Recipes Say You Can Substitute Bologna, If You Want
So Even Though I Have Bologna
I'll Buy SPAM, Fish And Oyster Sauce
And Sesame Oil (Which Tastes Like Pork Rinds To Me)
Whip Up A Portion Of Fried Rice, And Try SPAM

I Hope It's Not A Waste Of Fried Rice

BTW....
I Have Bologna On Hand
Because I Saw Some BB-Q Sandwich
That Had Grilled And Sauced Bologna
Piled High With Coleslaw, Pickle, Lettuce And Tomato
Big Fat Wonderful Bun
I'll Try That This Weekend Too

IRL
I Look Similar To The Professor In Back To The Future
So This All Works

Last edited:
I Just Came In Here To Start A Thread About Trying SPAM

Because Of The Military, And WWII
SPAM Is Known All Over The Pacific
Travel Shows Say You're Not Hawaiian If You're Not Eating SPAM
The Dishes Look Great
Except For .... SPAM

When I Was A Kid
SPAM Was The Mystery Meat From Mars
Thought It Was Awful, Mom Was Punishing Us For Living

Back In The 80's Hormel Changed The Cuts
And Most Important...The Seasoning Recipe
I Haven't Tried It
But They Run Commercials All The Time
So, I'm Going To Take The Plunge This Weekend
All The Recipes Say You Can Substitute Bologna, If You Want
So Even Though I Have Bologna
I'll Buy SPAM, Fish And Oyster Sauce
And Sesame Oil (Which Tastes Like Pork Rinds To Me)
Whip Up A Portion Of Fried Rice, And Try SPAM

I Hope It's Not A Waste Of Fried Rice

BTW....
I Have Bologna On Hand
Because I Saw Some BB-Q Sandwich
That Had Grilled And Sauced Bologna
Piled High With Coleslaw, Pickle, Lettuce And Tomato
Big Fat Wonderful Bun
I'll Try That This Weekend Too

IRL
I Look Similar To The Professor In Back To The Future
So This All Works
I have Spam about twice a year when I want some for some weird, unknown reason. The only way I like it is thin cut and fried crispy on bread with lots of mayonnaise. I typically only buy the jalapeno Spam.

Great stuff, IMHO.

I wont call it a favorite but it like vienna sausage fed me on many a late night fishing trip.
All ya needed was some crackers and if your lucky some cheese and mustard.
Well beer was a necessity but that goes without saying.
Don't be the victim of this!

vienna sausage.jpg

This thread is just crying out for a SPAMalama Ding Dong:

2 slices of SPAM
Marshmallows
Chocolate sauce

Put the marshmallows between the slices of spam and cover with chocolate sauce.

A SPAMarama festival winner!

I hate the stuff. We had it sliced and fried nice and black every Wednesday for supper when I was a kid. Sometimes to be gourmet about it, Mom would brush some brown sugar and mustard over the top. Ugh. I'm really making a face right now and I can't help it.

When I think of Spam, I think of bomb shelter food. After The Day After, the radio station did a hilarious imitation of a Connecticut diva whining about the Spam as the family sat in the bomb shelter after a nuclear shelling. LOL

I hate the stuff. We had it sliced and fried nice and black every Wednesday for supper when I was a kid. Sometimes to be gourmet about it, Mom would brush some brown sugar and mustard over the top. Ugh. I'm really making a face right now and I can't help it.

When I think of Spam, I think of bomb shelter food. After The Day After, the radio station did a hilarious imitation of a Connecticut diva whining about the Spam as the family sat in the bomb shelter after a nuclear shelling. LOL

Close....I think of it as survival food.
As in I'm in the woods hunting or fishing for a few days and it doesnt need refrigeration.
Would I prefer a Prime dry aged ribeye? Of course,but that isnt an option when hitting the boonies.

We used to go on canoe trips and carried a portable grill and grilled steaks in the middle of nowhere. Carried them in an ice chest that used frozen gallon water jugs. When it melted we had ice water.

Close....I think of it as survival food.
As in I'm in the woods hunting or fishing for a few days and it doesnt need refrigeration.
Would I prefer a Prime dry aged ribeye? Of course,but that isnt an option when hitting the boonies.
No, but peanut butter is. And jerky.
I gotta stay out of this thread. My face is all scrunching up again.

I used to take cans of the low sodium spam on backpacking trips to supplement freeze dried meals. I hadn't had it in years, but tried it again not too long ago. Again, the low sodium variety, but I couldn't eat it as that even tasted way to salty to me.

Forum List

Back