So, Why Did Judas Betray Jesus?

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
Was it really greed or was the reason Jesus knew that Judas would betray Him isn't strictly based upon His Godly knowledge, but they already discussed it to fulfill scripture and prophecy?

1. Judas never believed Jesus was the Son of God.
2. He never had a personal relationship with Jesus as the others did. The others called Jesus master and acknowledged his divinity. Judas never did. He always called him Rabbi, which means teacher. Also with some slight alterations, when there is a list of the twelve, Judas' name always is at the end like the order of names is an indication of the depth of relationship to Jesus from greatest to least.
3. Greedy for money. There is some evidence to point out that he had control of the group's money and he used it for himself.

John 12:6 introduces Judas’ thievery by saying, “. . . as he had the money box he used to take what was put into it.”

More interesting question might be....why did Jesus choose Judas Iscariot to be one of the 12 disciples. Jesus knew what he was even as he chose him. He was a thief, spiritually unclean, devilish, a nonbeliever.

But. prophecy was to be fulfilled and Judas filled that position.
Some hold that iscariot refers to the town he came from. South of Jerusalem. Others say it is a form of siccario/sicarii...assassin/murderer.

God doesn't fuck with free will. Neither God nor His Son know what anyone will do in the future, nor do they force people or prevent people from doing what they freely choose.

According to the Rock Opera Jesus Christ Superstar, Judas wanted to force Jesus to assume the role of militant revolutionary that Judas thought he should. Based on later actions, Judas did not expect Jesus to submit to the Synagogue authorities as he did. It seems as good a theory as any.

Or maybe it was just the money?

We don't know much of anything about the gospels not included in the bible since the church decided which would be included..and which would not. That is the point. The CHURCH chose what should be included. Which is my point that I was sharing.

Who knows what was hidden due to agendas at the time.

2. He never had a personal relationship with Jesus as the others did.

I always thought that Judas was His friend though. Btw, the reason I asked this question is because of Jesus Christ Superstar and I was wondering how accurate it was about Judas' actual motive for betraying Jesus. Accurate or not, the musical rocks especially this song!! :D (I realize that it's a controversial film, but I still love the music and I'm basically the queen of loving controversial stuff for Christians as I'm going to go see the new Fantastic Beasts movie tonight as I'm typing this lol I was born to be a rebel. :cool:)

Oh and btw if we didn't know anything about Jesus, these are actually legit questions in the song if you come to think about it.

Some say he wanted to force Jesus to become the expected messiah. Given that so few have ever really understood Jesus' message, this is entirely possible.

Btw, this is a really good rendition of the song too even though it isn't the best. This musical would be really cool to see live!! :D I think the fiftieth anniversary is coming up next year. :)

God doesn't fuck with free will. Neither God nor His Son know what anyone will do in the future, nor do they force people or prevent people from doing what they freely choose.

According to the Rock Opera Jesus Christ Superstar, Judas wanted to force Jesus to assume the role of militant revolutionary that Judas thought he should. Based on later actions, Judas did not expect Jesus to submit to the Synagogue authorities as he did. It seems as good a theory as any.

Or maybe it was just the money?

Yes, Judas was a first century version of a hit man in search of someone to lead a violent overthrow of roman rule. He was disillusioned in Jesus after all the love your enemy and turn the other cheek talk. If it was just for the money I bet he could have made off with the money bag full of shekels which held way more than "thirty pieces of silver", a reference to Zechariah 11:13;

The Lord then said to me, “Throw it into the treasury, that noble sum at which they valued me!” So I took the thirty pieces of silver and threw them into the treasury at the temple of the Lord.

BTW...Thirty pieces of silver were slave wages.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back