Zone1 Jesus Christ Superstar

Essentially the controversy stems around Judas. The musical presents Judas as a necessary victim...caught in the role God designed for him. Without Judas there could be no Jesus Sacrifice..no resurrection.....no salvation.
At the time the musical was released..the flower power/hippy thing was going full bore....many were put off by the idea that the disciples and those around Christ were the hippys of their time. Some had issues with his close relationship with Mary Magdalene.
...and, it was rock and roll.

BTW..have you seen both versions?

The recent one with John Legend is very good~
thanks fleagle, great post. i like judas' conflict between fate and free will,

Godspell was a contemporary production of JCS. I saw that at Ford’s Theatre in DC in 1972.
First show at Ford’s Theatre since Lincoln’s assassination.
never saw that one. a musical based on .....matthew? will look it up.

thanks, ro'

never saw that one. a musical based on .....matthew? will look it up.

thanks, ro'
There’s a scene in the movie of the cast dancing on top of the WTC, when it was still in some stage of construction. They were singing “It’s All For the Best”. Quite eerie now.

mary magdalene's song was the big hit of the musical. hell "i don't know gow to love you was that decade's "titanic."

my favorite was herod's number at the swimming pool ....

does anyone know if that was herod antipas or herod the great from scripture or do i need to hit wikipedia for a succession of the hasmodeans?

we know that caesar augustus and his buddy herod the great were involved in the events of the nativity. and that tiberius was the emperor while pilate was procurator. .

Thanks for that from Alice Cooper! I still listen to the music on CD, big fan, but never saw Alice do it before. Good performance.

I'm putting this in the debate zone since it's controversial but I am a Christian that LOVES this musical!!! I mean it might not be scripture based but I don't find anything blasphemous about it since they never said that Jesus wasn't the Son of God in it, it was just looking at Jesus in a human perspective instead of the miraculous perspective. So I was just wondering why this musical gets such a bad reputation as I think of it as when Christian contemporary music really took off. Anyways, this came up because I usually watch it this time of year. :D

Because it tries to be like "HAIR" but it doesn't have a topic. Jesus is either Son of God or of as much interest as Barabbas.

Liked some of the songs, but they got played to death and driven into the ground. It did help some people change their lives for the better, though, regardless of its simplistic theology. The Jesus Freaks could be annoying but were far better people than the commies, faggots, and idiot libertoons who came out of the 60's. I personally know a couple of people who got off drugs and straightened out their lives because of the Jesus Freak movement and preachers like Hal Lindsey and his books from those days, especially The Late Great Planet Earth; I could never get past a few pages, but it had a huge effect on those susceptible to that sort of thing back then, in a positive way.

Last edited:
I'm putting this in the debate zone since it's controversial but I am a Christian that LOVES this musical!!! I mean it might not be scripture based but I don't find anything blasphemous about it since they never said that Jesus wasn't the Son of God in it, it was just looking at Jesus in a human perspective instead of the miraculous perspective. So I was just wondering why this musical gets such a bad reputation as I think of it as when Christian contemporary music really took off. Anyways, this came up because I usually watch it this time of year. :D

I spun this vinyl so much as a child I'm shocked I didn't wear it out. Wait...maybe I did hahahah

Anyway, I'm convinced it gave me just as solid an understanding of the Passion as Sunday School. Only when I was older did I catch the controversies about Judas, MM and especially, Jesus wrestling with his humanity. For me, I would say the biggest controversy is that Jesus often seems not to understand where anything is going, like He's confused or something.

I would never advise someone not to listen to it though--I still love it! I would just add the caveat that it's an adaptation. Mostly based on the Bible but the parts mentioned above are not entirely accurate.

One part that is accurate, and interesting, is how many thought Jesus was a political/historical "savior"--that is, He was sent to free the Jews from Rome. Lots of that in JCS, not much explored in churches, and interesting!

One more thing! The comedy is so good:

The disciples:

"Always hoped that I'd be a disciple, knew that I could make it if I tried. Then when we retire, we can write the Gospels so they'll all talk about us when we've died"....heh. Kinda how they were off and on before the Resurrection!

And the Comic Relief, Herod, song is pure gold:

"So you are the Christ, you're the great Jesus Christ! Prove to us that you're no fool...walk across my swimming pool!"

(Yes, all these lyrics from memory!)

Forum List

Back