So...what's the deal with toilet paper?

It's kind of like when the weather channel says oh nos, big snow storm coming. Then you go to the grocery store and the lines are backed up all the way to rear of the store with everyone holding a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk so they have milk sandwiches for when it snows.

And then you only get like an inch of snow.

By the way. For the last month, weather.com has been headlining more scary stories about the coronaviris than the actual weather. I swear, i think they're just as in the business of fear mongering as mainstream media.

No cases here in this town of the virus. None. Yet, when I went to the store just now to get a few things, I was shocked that the toilet paper isle was completely empty of toilet paper. Not one roll in sight. I stood there and shook my head. A few people were grabbing paper towels. I said "this virus is not a gastro one. So...whats the deal?" and they laughed and said they didn't understand it either. When I got up to the cashier (long lines this time, no carts so I had to filch one from the parking lot), I said loudly "So..I really thought this town had its shit together..literally and figuratively but I guess I was wrong" which garnered some laughs along with my own.

Any clue why people are freaking out about not having toilet paper???

People have been selling it on the streets from as much as a $100 a roll.

The problem is that there are people seeking to corner the market on the product, just like Tulipmania back in the 17th Century I believe.

And that just aggravates the shortages.

Then I blame the stores. They should not allow anyone to buy more than one package of TP at a time.

Be allowed to buy?

Is this Russia?

No cases here in this town of the virus. None. Yet, when I went to the store just now to get a few things, I was shocked that the toilet paper isle was completely empty of toilet paper. Not one roll in sight. I stood there and shook my head. A few people were grabbing paper towels. I said "this virus is not a gastro one. So...whats the deal?" and they laughed and said they didn't understand it either. When I got up to the cashier (long lines this time, no carts so I had to filch one from the parking lot), I said loudly "So..I really thought this town had its shit together..literally and figuratively but I guess I was wrong" which garnered some laughs along with my own.

I believe this is a myth perpetuated by self-fulfilling mythology. I've seen no such shortages around here.

It's kind of like when the weather channel says oh nos, big snow storm coming. Then you go to the grocery store and the lines are backed up all the way to rear of the store with everyone holding a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk so they have milk sandwiches for when it snows.

By the way. For the last month, weather.com has been headlining more scary stories about the coronaviris than the actual weather. I swear, i think they're just as in the business of fear mongering as mainstream media.

When was the Weather Channel not in that business? Ever look at their prime time schedule? Nothing but booga-booga stories about tornadoes and floods and tsunamis. Been that way as long as I can remember.

The problem is that there are people seeking to corner the market on the product, just like Tulipmania back in the 17th Century I believe.

Then I blame the stores. They should not allow anyone to buy more than one package of TP at a time.

Be allowed to buy?

Is this Russia?

Russia? You never saw a coupon or a sale saying limit 2 per customer?

It isn't "Russia" dummass to simply prevent panic buying and gouging. This is ridiculous. All you assholes are CREATING the very situation you are hoping to avoid. Just go out and buy what you need WHEN you need it like any other time and everyone would have what they need.

Fear sells.

I saw this great graph a few months back of the percentage of causes of death and the percentage of time the media focuses on each causes of death. Over half of all deaths are caused by heart disease and cancer but half the media time focusing on deaths is on terrorism and murders, which account for less than 2% of actual deaths.

People want to be shocked.

TWC went to total shit when NBC/Comcast bought them...Weather Nation is now the place for weather and nothing else but.

WeatherNation

I have a roll of toilet paper I'll let you have at a discounted price, does $1500 sound about right? :dunno:

I have a roll of toilet paper I'll let you have at a discounted price, does $1500 sound about right? :dunno:

I know right? I'm thinkin' of eBaying mine.

Is it personally autographed by Mr. Whipple?

But there are no shortages....I was in a grocery store Thursday and they were rolling numerous pallets of TP onto the floor and just dropping them as end caps....The only thing that could hold up any supplies would be logistics.
Go today........ Just got back from the neighborhood Wally World (the small one), the paper products aisle was picked clean, the bread aisle was about 70% picked over. A couple of sections, don't know what was there were empty, the frozen veggies and frozen pizza was near empty, cold cuts 60% gone, no Orange Juice, half the chip aisle was cleaned out, etc, etc.

The mystery of the Three Seashells. For the uninformed, Demolition Man takes place in the future and, in addition to the aforementioned technological advancements, toilet paper has become a thing of the past. Here is the explanation

ETFEofyWkAYXuc8

But there are no shortages....I was in a grocery store Thursday and they were rolling numerous pallets of TP onto the floor and just dropping them as end caps....The only thing that could hold up any supplies would be logistics.
Go today........ Just got back from the neighborhood Wally World (the small one), the paper products aisle was picked clean, the bread aisle was about 70% picked over. A couple of sections, don't know what was there were empty, the frozen veggies and frozen pizza was near empty, cold cuts 60% gone, no Orange Juice, half the chip aisle was cleaned out, etc, etc.

Weird. I have an abundance of literally all that stuff. Wasn't at all hard to get. The stock boy did say they had been selling a lot of chips. As I remarked to him, it's not the first thing one would think of ---- whelp virus coming, better load up on chips. :wtf:

Weird. I have an abundance of literally all that stuff. Wasn't at all hard to get. The stock boy did say they had been selling a lot of chips. As I remarked to him, it's not the first thing one would think of ---- whelp virus coming, better load up on chips. :wtf:
People are stocking up on dry, canned, and frozen foods, as they prepare for their kids to be home for a month and also prepare to possibly be quarantined at home.

I have been to two grocery stores in the last 4 days. No toilet paper on the shelves.

People are stocking up on dry, canned, and frozen foods, as they prepare for their kids to be home for a month and also prepare to possibly be quarantined at home.

I have been to two grocery stores in the last 4 days. No toilet paper on the shelves.

Are schools closing where you live? Perhaps that's the difference.

I'm currently bartering TP and canned Spam for affectionate relations.

So, the more I have, the better.

Are schools closing where you live? Perhaps that's the difference.
I think they're closing here for three weeks. As long as there's enough green chili everyone here will survive...... :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back