So...what's the deal with toilet paper?

No cases here in this town of the virus. None. Yet, when I went to the store just now to get a few things, I was shocked that the toilet paper isle was completely empty of toilet paper. Not one roll in sight. I stood there and shook my head. A few people were grabbing paper towels. I said "this virus is not a gastro one. So...whats the deal?" and they laughed and said they didn't understand it either. When I got up to the cashier (long lines this time, no carts so I had to filch one from the parking lot), I said loudly "So..I really thought this town had its shit together..literally and figuratively but I guess I was wrong" which garnered some laughs along with my own.

Any clue why people are freaking out about not having toilet paper???

People have been selling it on the streets from as much as a $100 a roll.

The problem is that there are people seeking to corner the market on the product, just like Tulipmania back in the 17th Century I believe.

And that just aggravates the shortages.
But there are no shortages....I was in a grocery store Thursday and they were rolling numerous pallets of TP onto the floor and just dropping them as end caps....The only thing that could hold up any supplies would be logistics.
Go today........ Just got back from the neighborhood Wally World (the small one), the paper products aisle was picked clean, the bread aisle was about 70% picked over. A couple of sections, don't know what was there were empty, the frozen veggies and frozen pizza was near empty, cold cuts 60% gone, no Orange Juice, half the chip aisle was cleaned out, etc, etc.
It was only after Trump did the emergency thing did the folks here begin to go bonkers. Couple of days ago, no problem with food/tp. Now? Its crazy. empty.

No cases here in this town of the virus. None. Yet, when I went to the store just now to get a few things, I was shocked that the toilet paper isle was completely empty of toilet paper. Not one roll in sight. I stood there and shook my head. A few people were grabbing paper towels. I said "this virus is not a gastro one. So...whats the deal?" and they laughed and said they didn't understand it either. When I got up to the cashier (long lines this time, no carts so I had to filch one from the parking lot), I said loudly "So..I really thought this town had its shit together..literally and figuratively but I guess I was wrong" which garnered some laughs along with my own.

The problem is that there are people seeking to corner the market on the product, just like Tulipmania back in the 17th Century I believe.

But there are no shortages....I was in a grocery store Thursday and they were rolling numerous pallets of TP onto the floor and just dropping them as end caps....The only thing that could hold up any supplies would be logistics.
Go today........ Just got back from the neighborhood Wally World (the small one), the paper products aisle was picked clean, the bread aisle was about 70% picked over. A couple of sections, don't know what was there were empty, the frozen veggies and frozen pizza was near empty, cold cuts 60% gone, no Orange Juice, half the chip aisle was cleaned out, etc, etc.
It was only after Trump did the emergency thing did the folks here begin to go bonkers. Couple of days ago, no problem with food/tp. Now? Its crazy. empty.
Here it started just over a week ago but it was only the paper products aisle and it was only half gone with three stockers restocking as fast as they could. Yesterday Albuquerque announced they were closing the schools for three weeks, the store I went to today was a mad house and all sots of items were gone already. A quarter of what was on my list was gone,

My son just got back from shopping for us with a list...............Shelves empty everywhere.......Paper products gone, can goods gone, frozen stuff gone,..........It's like the day before a Hurricane hits out there.

Went back top the store I was at on Thursday....The pasta aisle was nearly wiped out, along with spaghetti sauce...Though there was still plenty of the veggie pasta that I prefer....The TP aisle had pallets just dropped in font of the shelves....The stockers weren't even bothering fill the shelves...Wasn't anywhere near the madhouse it must have been yesterday.

Western Va.seems calm. The wife and I went to the Golden Corral buffet for lunch and it was relatively crowded. My wife has this compulsion for doomsday shopping so we went to Walmart expecting empty shelves and panic buying but the stockers were busy and the only shelves that were empty were the toilet paper and the Dr. Pepper. Milk was low but Produce, bakery and meat was on display. Maybe I'm from the old school but I expected long lines in the ABC store but I was the only customer and the shelves were well stocked. The normal doomsday rules don't seem to apply.

The bathroom tissue aisle at my local Wal-Mart was bone dry too. All the bananas in the produce section were gone too. The canned food aisle was almost clean out and just about all of the hot dogs and sandwich meat packs were gone too.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Before I was there, I was at another grocery store that my area has named Food City and a good deal of their bread was already gone.

Weird. I have an abundance of literally all that stuff. Wasn't at all hard to get. The stock boy did say they had been selling a lot of chips. As I remarked to him, it's not the first thing one would think of ---- whelp virus coming, better load up on chips. :wtf:
People are stocking up on dry, canned, and frozen foods, as they prepare for their kids to be home for a month and also prepare to possibly be quarantined at home.

I have been to two grocery stores in the last 4 days. No toilet paper on the shelves.
Yet there’s an abundance of most everything else – at least in my area.

Gonna be a lot of wasted frozen foods and food poisoning when the workers at the electric generation plants and gas distribution facilities are forced to stay home. The systems will shut down and the fun will begin!

Know what would REALLY freak people out? Turn off the electric, gas, shut down service stations. My goodness. It would cause the greatest havoc.

David Drayton:
Sure, as long as the machines are working and you can dial 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, you scare the shit out of them, no more rules. You'll see how primitive they can get.

And all because the Democrats kept telling us what a panic this was and how Trump wasn't taking it seriously. In the news they are even reporting now that two women on Fox News have been suspended because they said on the air that the Democrats are trying to stir this up trying to make it a campaign issue against Trump.

Gee, Trump makes a call asking about the known lurid activities of Biden. He gets accused of trying to cheat an election.

Newscasters report that Democrats are exploiting a virus to cheat an election and THEY get suspended. Hmm.

I'd bet you dollars to donuts that the democrats try to make this a campaign issue claiming Trump incompetence because some people here are getting the same virus as everywhere else worldwide this fall. Even though we are vastly beating the curve.

Last edited:
Are schools closing where you live?
Yep. They are now. 4 weeks.

That must be it then. Here, you want paper products, you just go buy them, then drive home waiting for the infernal school buses that insist on dropping Every...... Single...... Kid..... off at their own house. It's a trade-off. I'm not sure which one of us has the better side.

How did that happen anyway? Member when the school bus would drive every kid right to their house and you didn't have to suffer the indignity of walking anywhere? Because I don't either.

That must be it then.
No doubt a factor, going forward, but the run on toilet paper and cold medicine began before that announcement.

It is why I stocked up on a few weeks of non perishables. I figured my kids would be home for 4 weeks, and I don't want to wait until everyone else figured that out.
How did that happen anyway? Member when the school bus would drive every kid right to their house and you didn't have to suffer the indignity of walking anywhere? Because I don't either.
That certainly doesn't happen here. Our school busing services were drastically cut. Elementary school kids are not even eligible to ride the bus, if they live withing one mile of the school. That's 1.5 miles for high schoolers.

That must be it then.
No doubt a factor, going forward, but the run on toilet paper and cold medicine began before that announcement.

It is why I stocked up on a few weeks of non perishables. I figured my kids would be home for 4 weeks, and I don't want to wait until everyone else figured that out.
That certainly doesn't happen here. Our school busing services were drastically cut. Elementary school kids are not even eligible to ride the bus, if they live withing one mile of the school. That's 1.5 miles for high schoolers.

I walked to elementary school every day. And it really was uphill (well one way).

I hit my local Safeway on Central Oregon Coast at 7 AM this morning. No crowds, no shortages and they had extra restocking crews on every aisle. Only hassle was ya had to leave cart behind and dodge/ reach around a butt-ton of pallets. About the only thing they were out of was Purell.

thumb_c51a.jpg

thanks-i-hate-coronavirus-toilet-paper-shortage-alternatives-3-escalator-70566808.png

when-theres-a-ccc5a709e2.jpg

The mystery of the Three Seashells. For the uninformed, Demolition Man takes place in the future and, in addition to the aforementioned technological advancements, toilet paper has become a thing of the past. Here is the explanation

ETFEofyWkAYXuc8

Thanks I guess - Not gonna be able to unsee that one! :D

When word got around that stores were running out of toilet paper my sister ordered some for pickup at Walmart. She said that when she went to pick it up they had to bring her across the store so nobody saw her buying toilet paper. This shit is getting nuts.

And all because the Democrats kept telling us what a panic this was and how Trump wasn't taking it seriously. In the news they are even reporting now that two women on Fox News have been suspended because they said on the air that the Democrats are trying to stir this up trying to make it a campaign issue against Trump.

Gee, Trump makes a call asking about the known lurid activities of Biden. He gets accused of trying to cheat an election.

Newscasters report that Democrats are exploiting a virus to cheat an election and THEY get suspended. Hmm.

I'd bet you dollars to donuts that the democrats try to make this a campaign issue claiming Trump incompetence because some people here are getting the same virus as everywhere else worldwide this fall. Even though we are vastly beating the curve.

Pandemic, rearrange the letters you get "dempanic"

Go ahead and laugh at the prepper now! I have had food, water, emergency equipment, batteries, communication equipment, and ammo stashed for years now. Yes toilet paper too.

Who’s laughing now!

Forum List

Back