SNAP, EBT outages reported across the country

Wonderful idea in areas where people have space and the capability to do so. Most urban/suburban environments donā€™t necessarily off that type of space.
A six-plex of apartments has plenty of room for a rooftop garden. With the help of volunteers and folks who can afford to offer the use of any property that's going unused, amazing things can be done!

My brother ran a half acre garden that used youthful DUI offenders who were sentenced to do community service in lieu of incarceration. The local Chamber of Commerce dug up donations of fencing, shed-building and greenhouse-building materials, plant starts, seeds, miscellaneous equipment, fertilizer, watering system, etc, and in the one harvest season I worked there, we shared over a ton of produce with the needy of a couple of small towns. I came very close to being set up with a commercial kitchen where I could teach healthy cooking, to at-risk people who never ate anything that didn't come out of a McD's bag or a microwave box.

Having this event occurring right now, I think I'll get inspired. I've got plans to have a bunch of kids and teachers from a local day care center come over this week to pick veggies and learn more about gardening. Looking forward to it!

A six-plex of apartments has plenty of room for a rooftop garden. With the help of volunteers and folks who can afford to offer the use of any property that's going unused, amazing things can be done!
Itā€™s also a horror show for the property owner on multiple levels. Iā€™m not a proponent of sharing my land with anyone who isnā€™t on the title of the property. Weā€™re far too litigious society for that to be an option.

This is just the dying throes of a capitalistic economic system.
It is now easier to survive in a rigged system by not working, because the low wages being offered these people no longer pays the bills.
Capitalism depends upon a servant class willing to work for the lowest wages corporations and businesses can get away with paying.
And people used to be able to live a semi "happy" life with these wages. They were able (if they were willing to work hard and save....and maybe sacrifice a bit for a little while) the "American dream" could still be theirs, complete with a home mortgage, automobile, and the means to raise a family.
Heck, it was even possible ( sometimes) to put children through college on those wages.
But not anymore. There are people working two and three jobs and still living below the poverty line; unable to afford rent, transportation, child care, utilities, and still be able to eat. Many hard working people in the U.S. still qualify for assistance.
Don't blame the victims. If you have to blame anyone blame the wealthy who have stacked the deck in their own favor and who have gotten righ off the sweat and labor of the working poor who are now squealing like stuck pigs because workers don't want to be slaves to wages that don't even pay the bills.
This situation is textbook end stage capitalism.
So was the situation we saw at the beginning of the pandemic.

After two straight years of the orange babboon mouthing off non-stop about how "GREAT" and "prosperous" he had made America the shit huts the fan and within a month most Americans needed federal stimulus money to survive because they couldn't work.
That doesn't seem very "prosperous" to me.
So then the question naturally comes up....
WHO the hell was he talkung about?
WHO was enjoying this imagined "prosperity."
It wasn't MOST of America....who were obviously, we found out, living pretty much hand to mouth.
SURPRISE!
The wealthiest 1% of the U.S.
They were making out like bandits!
And again....that's a sure sign of dying capitalism. All the money in the system has been siphoned (trickled?) upwards into the hands of a few while the majority can't even afford to feed itself.

See, capitalism depends upon constant growth....expansion. Forever.
It only works when the economy is "expanding."
We know from nature that nothing can grow (expand) forever.
Eventually it slows down, contracts, and ultimately dies.

It's like the late, great Edward Abbey once said;
Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell.

Youā€™re funny!

I think a social safety net is necessary in a civilized society such as ours. Especially with regards to nutrition.

The food box bullshit to replace the food stamp program is a horrible idea. As someone who was a professional personal trainer and nutritionist, I think it's a really bad idea to let the horribly corrupt government decide what people should eat.
I agree, but for US citizens and those who entered through legal process. For all of those that entered illegally, it's one of many reasons they should not be allowed to remain. They should not be given a smorgasbord, but just cheap, basic food while they're being processed on their way back to the other side of the border.

Iā€™m with you 100%. American made/grown food. Nutritionally balanced diets. NO foreign cultural diets.

Yep...
And like you said,only the basics and in cans.
Pasta,beans,rice and the like. If they want meat they can choose from chicken,round steak and other cheap cuts.
No name brand drinks like Coke products,if they want cola they get knock off stuff and only in limited quantities.
I'm not opposed to giving them choices,in fact there should be a list of goods they can choose from and a total of what they have to spend.
Since all these "poor people" have smartphones and computers they can fill out their shopping list and send it in the week before and go pick it up.
We make being poor way to easy and way to easy to defraud the system.

low wages being offered these people no longer pays the bills.
Low wages? When somebody flipping burgers is earning $18/hr, no one can claim that wages are low.
Heck, it was even possible ( sometimes) to put children through college on those wages.
But not anymore.
This is baloney. If people take responsibility for themselves and stop asking the gov't for handouts, they would be able to do all the things you quote. I did it. It takes hard work and tenacity.
There are people working two and three jobs and still living below the poverty line; unable to afford rent, transportation, child care, utilities, and still be able to eat.
There are priorities. Many of those folks you are referring to ^^ have screwed up priorities. They have high dollar shoes, the latest cell phone, cable tv, 65" televisions, streaming services and internet yet they don't have the money for shelter, transportation, insurance and food. People in similar circumstances have banded together for child care. The fellow employees take care of each others kids. No one seems to have the sense of simple survival anymore. Too many gov't handouts.
The wealthiest 1% of the U.S.
They were making out like bandits!
Who are these wealthiest 1%--you guessed it. The Bezos, Gates, Zuckerbergs that are producing NOTHING and charging exorbitant sums for it. The very people that you are complaining can't make ends meet, have their technology in hand with all the latest software so that they can pad Zuckerberg's pockets and buy Bezos products from the comfort of their tents. I'm telling you, common sense just isn't too common anymore.

I think a social safety net is necessary in a civilized society such as ours. Especially with regards to nutrition.

The food box bullshit to replace the food stamp program is a horrible idea. As someone who was a professional personal trainer and nutritionist, I think it's a really bad idea to let the horribly corrupt government decide what people should eat.

How would they be able to do that under a pick up system that they couldnt do with the EBT card?

Cactus1.jpg

Itā€™s also a horror show for the property owner on multiple levels. Iā€™m not a proponent of sharing my land with anyone who isnā€™t on the title of the property. Weā€™re far too litigious society for that to be an option.
Alas. As a property owner, I know. I'd like to think that, as a really small, close-knit rural town, it could be different.

They already do. What do you think "SNAP" is? Duh!

One can just feel the love of Jesus Christ all throughout this thread.

He would be so proud of his followers.

Who in America signed up to feed millions of illegal invaders and people that just don't want to work, and live off the system?

34 Then the King will say to those on his right, ā€˜Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.ā€™ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ā€˜Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?ā€™ 40 And the King will answer them, ā€˜Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.ā€™

41 ā€œThen he will say to those on his left, ā€˜Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.ā€™ 44 Then they also will answer, saying, ā€˜Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?ā€™ 45 Then he will answer them, saying, ā€˜Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.ā€™ 46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.ā€

Forum List

Back