Should political affiliation be a protected class?

Should political affiliation be a protected class

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

dblack

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Pretty simple question. Over the last couple of years there have been a number of incidents in the news of business owners refusing to serve people they disagree with politically. MAGA hat wearers are common "victims". Clearly this is discrimination. Is it time to add political affiliation to the protected classes list?

I answered yes. I actually disagree with the entire concept of protected classes and public accommodations laws that hinge on them. I don't think government should protect people from discrimination. But as long as we're playing that game, we should treat everyone equally and protect everyone from discrimination.

The notion of protected classes should deal with matters over which people have no control, rather than the personal choices people have made.

Political ideas should not be protected. I am of the same opinion regarding to religion. If it is a choice people have made, it has no business being made into a protected class.

Protected classes are unconstitutional.

"All men are created equal" Bam! No protected classes. That was just a foot in the door to make hate crime laws then hate speech laws. America stopped at "hate crime" laws after seeing what hatespeech laws do in Canada and the UK.

Really all hate crime laws should be abolished.

Political affiliation shouldn't become a protected class, but there is such a thing a "political discrimination." While it's not a crime to discriminate against people based on their political leanings, it is illegal in the District of Columbia for employers to base employment decisions on the basis of an employee’s politics.

The whole concept of protected class shouldnt even exist.
It is institutional discrimination. The state should NOT discriminate.

Pretty simple question. Over the last couple of years there have been a number of incidents in the news of business owners refusing to serve people they disagree with politically. MAGA hat wearers are common "victims". Clearly this is discrimination. Is it time to add political affiliation to the protected classes list?

Either all classes should be protected, or no classes should be protected.

Teacher-Armed.jpg

It is nothing new, they used to do it to the communists. And governments were actively involved in the persicution. They did it to hippies. Are you saying MAGA's are snowlakes?

It is nothing new, they used to do it to the communists. And governments were actively involved in the persicution. They did it to hippies. Are you saying MAGA's are snowlakes?

Uh, no, that wasn't my intent. I've just always been a little unclear on which kinds of discrimination are approved of by government and which aren't. And the criteria for making such a call. Dogmaphobe laid out a rationale suggesting that only traits a person has no control over should be protected. But that's not really how the law is applied currently. Nor is it very clear - does someone with a mental illness have such control?

Exactly. And since it's patently insane to ban all discrimination, the concept should be retired.

Exactly. And since it's patently insane to ban all discrimination, the concept should be retired.

The only practical options to get there are to convince people to end protected classes, or make everyone a protected class and watch the system choke on itself.

The only practical options to get there are to convince people to end protected classes, or make everyone a protected class and watch the system choke on itself.
I'm trying. Wanna help?

I'm trying. Wanna help?

As we have disagreed on before, I am not as absolute as you on this topic. My current goal would be just to limit the PA concept to actual PA's.

I'm trying. Wanna help?

As we have disagreed on before, I am not as absolute as you on this topic. My current goal would be just to limit the PA concept to actual PA's.

:( - oh well. So much for the only practical option.

Supposedly free people should be free to discriminate, but, that will never happen. It's sort of like when leftists decided that it was ok to discriminate against Jews but not against their Nazi brethren.

Forum List

Back