Republican lawmaker's attempt to spin for health care reform fails comically

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
Reaching for some kind of partisan spin on our health care system, Republican Mo Brooks of Alabama makes one of the dumber comments - and that's not easy - a "leader" has made recently:

GOP Lawmaker: Those With Pre-Existing Conditions Not Living ‘The Right Way’

Rep. Mo Brooks (R-AL) on Monday implied that people with pre-existing health conditions simply aren’t living their lives “the right way.” Brooks, a member of the House Freedom Caucus, which opposed the previous GOP health-care plan to replace the Affordable Care Act, made the comments while responding to a question about protections for people with pre-existing conditions in an interview with CNN on Monday.

Lamenting the fact that people who “lead good lives” are “seeing their costs skyrocketing,” Brooks said the House GOP bill now in the works would allow health-insurance companies to require people with higher health-care costs to pay more. Their contribution would “help offset all these costs, thereby reducing the costs to those people who lead good lives, they’re healthy, they’ve done the things to keep their bodies healthy, and right now those are the people who’ve done things the right way, and they’re seeing their costs skyrocketing.”

Apparently catching himself, Brooks then quickly conceded that many people with pre-existing conditions have those conditions “through no fault of their own.” It was too late to correct himself, however. Brooks’ comments were quickly met with outrage on social media, with many tweeting directly at the Alabama congressman to question how children born with heart defects or other illnesses could have not “led good lives.”

Partisans: Zero cred.

Republicans are exposing themselves by continuing the effort to repeal the ACA. Trump lied about pre-existing conditions. They are necessarily covered.

Republicans are hoping that people are too stupid to understand high risk pools & ignore their many failures in the past. Who do you think pays for these high risk pools? A portion of your premiums go to funding it. Not much different from current law where insurance companies can't charge more & spreads the cost among all buyers.

Republicans want to lower premiums through lowering coverages. This is the exact same shit they bitched about with some of the bronze plans.

It is time Republicans admit the ACA is a good law & tweak it.

Reaching for some kind of partisan spin on our health care system, Republican Mo Brooks of Alabama makes one of the dumber comments - and that's not easy - a "leader" has made recently:

GOP Lawmaker: Those With Pre-Existing Conditions Not Living ‘The Right Way’

Rep. Mo Brooks (R-AL) on Monday implied that people with pre-existing health conditions simply aren’t living their lives “the right way.” Brooks, a member of the House Freedom Caucus, which opposed the previous GOP health-care plan to replace the Affordable Care Act, made the comments while responding to a question about protections for people with pre-existing conditions in an interview with CNN on Monday.

Lamenting the fact that people who “lead good lives” are “seeing their costs skyrocketing,” Brooks said the House GOP bill now in the works would allow health-insurance companies to require people with higher health-care costs to pay more. Their contribution would “help offset all these costs, thereby reducing the costs to those people who lead good lives, they’re healthy, they’ve done the things to keep their bodies healthy, and right now those are the people who’ve done things the right way, and they’re seeing their costs skyrocketing.”

Apparently catching himself, Brooks then quickly conceded that many people with pre-existing conditions have those conditions “through no fault of their own.” It was too late to correct himself, however. Brooks’ comments were quickly met with outrage on social media, with many tweeting directly at the Alabama congressman to question how children born with heart defects or other illnesses could have not “led good lives.”

Partisans: Zero cred.

Yeah, that was pretty dumb.

But given you support the insurance companies, and he's a tool of the insurance companies, in fact, think big insurance should run more of the system, I'm not seeing what your problem is.

Not living correctly? Really??

Playing Devil's advocate... why should I have to pay for the smokers, the drinkers, the people who think that Sugars and fats are major food groups?

the thing is, we are all either subsidizing someone else's health care, or someone else is subsidizing ours. The only question becomes, who should subsidize who.

And who should make a boatload of money off of it.

If we sold health insurance like we sold car insurance, the guy with the healthy lifestyle who ate well, exercised and avoided bad habits would get a primo rate, and the overweight drinker who smoked and never gets out of his chair (Oh my god, I think I just described 90% of USMB members!) should pay through the nose because he's a stack of medical bills waiting for a place to happen.

The reality, though, is that we are taking a design that was only really supposed to last 40 years and stretching it out until 80 years.

and that's expensive.

Republicans are exposing themselves by continuing the effort to repeal the ACA. Trump lied about pre-existing conditions. They are necessarily covered.

Republicans are hoping that people are too stupid to understand high risk pools & ignore their many failures in the past. Who do you think pays for these high risk pools? A portion of your premiums go to funding it. Not much different from current law where insurance companies can't charge more & spreads the cost among all buyers.

Republicans want to lower premiums through lowering coverages. This is the exact same shit they bitched about with some of the bronze plans.

Oh, I don't think Trump lied. A lie is having facts at your disposal and then purposely misleading people. He was just barking out stuff he was told. That, um, wasn't true. How would he know?

Brooks was obviously reaching for some kind of excuse to cover the fact that the Republicans never had a plan and that was the best he could come up with in real time.

Between this weak lie/joke of "repeal and replace" and a very possible tax reform disaster, the GOP may be in danger of proving unequivocally that it can't drive the car when handed the keys.

Oh, I don't think Trump lied. A lie is having facts at your disposal and then purposely misleading people. He was just barking out stuff he was told. That, um, wasn't true. How would he know?

He could have researched the issue?

Oh, wait. I'm sorry, that is asking too much for a Trump apologist who spends more time being upset some Anorexic Skank can't speak at a university than being upset that millions of people are going to lose their health insurance.

Talk about your fucked up priorities.

Oh, wait. I'm sorry, that is asking too much for a Trump apologist who spends more time being upset some Anorexic Skank can't speak at a university than being upset that millions of people are going to lose their health insurance.

Wow. Get me out of your head, seriously.

You're so desperate to attack that you're just flailing.

Seriously, Joe, this is getting creepy.

No as a Republican I say kill it.

Let me guess Joe gets more dick then her!

Wow. Get me out of your head, seriously.

You're so desperate to attack that you're just flailing.

Seriously, Joe, this is getting creepy.
Sure, he does.
yeah_ok.gif

Let me guess Joe gets more dick then her!
You are the one interested in a lot of dick, DF. Lots and lots of foam parties for you.

Trying to wrestle the thread back from the children:

Here was his post-dumb comment spin: "In fairness, a lot of these people with pre-existing conditions, they have those conditions through no fault of their own," he said. "And I think our society, under those circumstances, needs to help. The challenge though is that it's a tough balancing act between the higher cost of these mandates which denies people coverage because they can't afford their health insurance policies...and having enough coverage to help those people truly in need."

What he and others don't understand is the screamingly obvious fact that some kind of mandate is required to keep risk pools down to a manageable level. Their answer? Supposedly they're going to provide subsidies to keep risk pool premiums down. ANOTHER fucking band aid?

The ACA is a ridiculous pig of a law that should be repealed and replaced by expanding our already-functioning Medicare / Medicare Supplement / Medicare Advantage system to all. But that obvious option is not available to the GOP, only because they want to keep their cushy gubmit jobs.

Last edited:

I guess high risk pools run by states sounds better to republican's than Medicaid. Same damn thing but sadly it will be the same people who think they are different as obamacare and ACA.

Here was his post-dumb comment spin: "In fairness, a lot of these people with pre-existing conditions, they have those conditions through no fault of their own," he said. "And I think our society, under those circumstances, needs to help. The challenge though is that it's a tough balancing act between the higher cost of these mandates which denies people coverage because they can't afford their health insurance policies...and having enough coverage to help those people truly in need."

What he and others don't understand is the screamingly obvious fact that some kind of mandate is required to keep risk pools down to a manageable level. Their answer? Supposedly they're going to provide subsidies to keep risk pool premiums down. ANOTHER fucking band aid?

The ACA is a ridiculous pig of a law that should be repealed and replaced by expanding our already-functioning Medicare / Medicare Supplement / Medicare Advantage system to all. But that obvious option is not available to the GOP, only because they want to keep their cushy gubmit jobs.

Which comment does he truly believe in? Was his post-dumb comment spin a attempt to do a CYA? The problem is that the GOP needs the money to pay for their tax cuts. That will make a great Democrat campaign ad.

Republicans need to take the subsidies and keep them as they are and concentrate on getting the bureaucracy out and introducing more choice.

Which comment does he truly believe in? Was his post-dumb comment spin a attempt to do a CYA? The problem is that the GOP needs the money to pay for their tax cuts. That will make a great Democrat campaign ad.

Republicans need to take the subsidies and keep them as they are and concentrate on getting the bureaucracy out and introducing more choice.
Who knows what he knows, who knows what he believes in? That doesn't matter with him. He made promises and declarations and guarantees with zero backup when the GOP knew damn well they couldn't repeal and replace. But they let him go, and he/they won. That's politics, sadly.

Now the party is holding the bag and trying to point the finger elsewhere. They said "repeal and replace", a thousand times. So I guess we'll see.

Last edited:

Who knows what he knows, who knows what he believes in? That doesn't matter with him. He made promises and declarations and guarantees with zero backup when the GOP knew damn well they couldn't repeal and replace. But they let him go, and he/they won. That's politics, sadly.

Now the party is holding the bag and trying to point the finger elsewhere. They said "repeal and replace", thousand times. So I guess we'll see.

Back I believe in Feb Trump had a meeting with several health insurance CEO's, lasted about 30 minutes and a one page transcript put out on the WH website at that time. In those 30 minutes he talked about himself almost or more than half and then ask them all to introduce and tell him a little bit about themselves, well that was it, he didn't ask for input.

It just might help the repubs if they in their talks invited the AMA, American Hospital Association and mid level manager's of health insurance companies to get their input and what is really happening with patients and policyholder's and how they can make ACA better, but something as simple as this they cannot figure out to pick up the damn phone and call them.

At least, although you all say ACA was jammed down your throats, that there were quite a few industry CEO's who had input in the ACA. Yes there was and is too many caveat's to the ACA and just when you think you have it figured out, that part you think you had spider's out to another portion or rule. It's very complicated and although the pubs didn't have any input at the beginning or even the dems didn't read it, they have had 7 years to have at least their aids read it. I doubt not many if they did read it got past page 10.

So I say everyone bitching about ACA go screw yourself and vote them out next time if you want some change. YOU ALL WERE TAKEN BY PRES AND CONGRESS.

No, guy, the INsurance companies are the ones who've fucked up the system, letting them get their greedy little paws into more of Medicare and Medicaid in the "No Dressage Horse Left Behind' program isn't going to solve it.

THE REST OF THE WORLD HAS FIGURED THIS OUT!!!!

Single payer or universal coverage.

It amazes me how much time we spend getting the wrong answer on the test when the rest of the world has all gotten "A's" and have moved on to play in recess.

My health care was not made better because Ed Hanaway got a 9 figure retirement package for frustrating my attempt to get treatment.

Forum List

Back