Raise the Minimum Wage

Raising the minimum wage historically has done absolutely nothing to help the poor or raise people out of poverty.

Actually raising the minimum wage helps the working Middle Class by raising the floor of wages.

No, it doesn't. It hurts the middle class. The only people who get a wage bump when the minimum wage is raised are the people who were making less than the new minimum wage. The rest of us don't get the same increase, but we do pay the higher costs of goods and services as a result of the increase.
So the minimum wage hasnt been increased and yet things are still inflating anyways. this argument doesnt hold water at all.
Welfare programs effectively raise the minimum wage... so the argument does hold water.
no
Yes.
No
Yes.

Raising the minimum wage historically has done absolutely nothing to help the poor or raise people out of poverty.

How do you figure that?

Well... because it eliminate jobs. Always has. And it drives up prices.

When I was working at Wendy's, and the minimum wage went up, the first thing they did, was eliminate 3 employees. That was the first week.

Then, after that, they started raising their prices. They did this by cutting portion sizes. The large fry got smaller. The medium got smaller. The small got smaller. Then they introduced the "Biggie" fry, and "Biggie" drink, with new higher price.

Then over time, they shrunk the "biggie" down to the size of the original large, and the large to the size of the original medium, and the medium to the small, and the small was eventually eliminated. Then after a few years, they just renamed them all... small medium and large.

Burger had the same thing happen. They reduced the size of the burger, and then came out with "The Dave Classic" if anyone remembers those. That lasted a few years, then they eliminated the regular smaller burger, and it was Classic Single, Classic Double, and so on, with the new higher price.

And ALL companies do this. They all pass on the cost of higher minimum wages, on to the consumers. Prices go up.

This guy here, did a neat little comparison.
Mouse Print 8211 Sneaky Fine Print Blog Archive When the Chips are Down sized 8230

layschipsmp.jpg

That's one of dozens on his page.
Same prices, smaller weight.

That shrinking feeling 10 downsized products - Money - TODAY.com

Consumer reports, showed a bunch of different products from different companies, which cut their product size.

They all do this. Every time you increase the minimum wage, that money has to come from somewhere. There is no magic money tree behind the company, where they can just shake up some cash to pay these higher wages. It has to be passed on to the consumer. You and me.

That's why no matter what minimum wage you put in place, it will never be enough. The cost of living increases right along with it.

Agree, I am stunned it's too many stupid to realize that raising to $15 will defintely result in

layoffs
less hiring
increased prices

Whatever. I just find it depressing that no one gives a shit about freedom anymore.

How do you figure that?

Well... because it eliminate jobs. Always has. And it drives up prices.

When I was working at Wendy's, and the minimum wage went up, the first thing they did, was eliminate 3 employees. That was the first week.

Then, after that, they started raising their prices. They did this by cutting portion sizes. The large fry got smaller. The medium got smaller. The small got smaller. Then they introduced the "Biggie" fry, and "Biggie" drink, with new higher price.

Then over time, they shrunk the "biggie" down to the size of the original large, and the large to the size of the original medium, and the medium to the small, and the small was eventually eliminated. Then after a few years, they just renamed them all... small medium and large.

Burger had the same thing happen. They reduced the size of the burger, and then came out with "The Dave Classic" if anyone remembers those. That lasted a few years, then they eliminated the regular smaller burger, and it was Classic Single, Classic Double, and so on, with the new higher price.

And ALL companies do this. They all pass on the cost of higher minimum wages, on to the consumers. Prices go up.

This guy here, did a neat little comparison.
Mouse Print 8211 Sneaky Fine Print Blog Archive When the Chips are Down sized 8230

layschipsmp.jpg

That's one of dozens on his page.
Same prices, smaller weight.

That shrinking feeling 10 downsized products - Money - TODAY.com

Consumer reports, showed a bunch of different products from different companies, which cut their product size.

They all do this. Every time you increase the minimum wage, that money has to come from somewhere. There is no magic money tree behind the company, where they can just shake up some cash to pay these higher wages. It has to be passed on to the consumer. You and me.

That's why no matter what minimum wage you put in place, it will never be enough. The cost of living increases right along with it.

Agree, I am stunned it's too many stupid to realize that raising to $15 will defintely result in

layoffs
less hiring
increased prices

Whatever. I just find it depressing that no one gives a shit about freedom anymore.

I am allergic skyrocketing prices

Speaking of being able to do math... where do you think the money to pay this "living wage" will come from?

That is not the topic of the thread. Nor did I endorse raising it. So asking me that question is moot.

The question is not raising the minimum wage the problem is how much to raise it. I don't object to raising it but I do doubling it to $15.00 a hour.
I object to doing it. You don't make people comfortable when they can do better. I also don't think a person should be paid more, for a job that is not worth the extra cost.
You do realize the restaurants are already passing the cost on to the consumer?

The question is not raising the minimum wage the problem is how much to raise it. I don't object to raising it but I do doubling it to $15.00 a hour.
I object to doing it. You don't make people comfortable when they can do better. I also don't think a person should be paid more, for a job that is not worth the extra cost.

The customer should pay more for their meal instead of having to tip their waiter/waitress. How I am meant to work out how much tip I should pay. I'd have to bring a damned calculator in with me to work it out.

The customer should pay more for their meal instead of having to tip their waiter/waitress. How I am meant to work out how much tip I should pay. I'd have to bring a damned calculator in with me to work it out.
Smart people have no trouble calculating 10%, 15% or 20% of a total bill. Just saying.

No the customer should not pay extra to support this shit. I tip accordingly. If I get shitty service I don't leave a tip, now if I get shitty service and still have to pay extra that isn't fair to the customer.

And there are restaurants that charge you for the tip, whether the waitress did a good job or terrible. But you are going to be charged more, either way.

As for tipping... I generally tip on how good the services was. There have been times where I thought the waiter, or waitress, did such a fantastic job given how many people were there, that I gave them a $5 tip, on a $10 meal. Equally, there have been terrible experiences, where the person did awful, and I gave 25¢ for a $15 meal.

I don't believe in the 'calculator' method of tipping. I believe in the 'merit' method of tipping.

Now, if you really really want to tip based on a flat percentage, it still isn't that hard.

If you want to do a flat 10% tip.... chop off the last number on your bill, and move the decimal over one spot, and round to the nearest 25¢. $17.65, becomes $1.75. Not hard.

If you want to do a flat 15% tip... same thing as before, but cut that number in half, and add that number and the original together. $1.75 divided by 2 is 87¢, added to $1.75 and rounded to the nearest 25¢ is $2.50. Not that hard.

No need for a calculator, although nearly every cell phone in existence on this planet now has one. At this point, someone in your group likely has one if you really need it.

and bringing a calculator with you is just way too much?
so instead the customers should pay more so you can make higher wage. I mean serving food is just so complicated. do you even see them as people or just cash cows

It's documented that raising the minimum wage does not help poverty. Most people in poverty don't work.

Androw-Well... because it eliminate jobs. Always has. And it drives up prices.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Raising the Minimum Wage has had little to no effect with inflation.
I posted proof earlier. Here are two links. One shows the date the Minimum Wage was raised, the second link shows historic inflation numbers. Please note there isn't any historic spikes in inflation that correlate with raising the Minimum Wage.
Historical Inflation Rates 1914-2014 US Inflation Calculator
U.S. Department of Labor - Wage and Hour Division WHD - Minimum Wage

Then we have this:
2014 Job Creation Faster in States that Raised the Minimum Wage
The experience of the 13 states that increased their minimum wage on January 1st of this year might provide some guidance for what to expect here in Washington, DC when the city-wideminimum wage increasesto $9.50 on July 1.
At the beginning of 2014,13 statesincreased their minimum wage. Of these 13 states, four passed legislation raising their minimum wage (Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island). In the other nine, their minimum wage automatically increased in line with inflation at the beginning of the year (Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Missouri, Montana, Ohio, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington state).
As CEPR noted inMarchandAprilposts, economists at Goldman Sachs conducted a simple evaluation of the impact of these state minimum-wage increases. GS compared the employment change between December and January in the 13 states where the minimum wage increased with the changes in the remainder of the states. The GS analysis found that the states where the minimum wage went up had faster employment growth than the states where the minimum wage remained at its 2013 level.
When we updated the GS analysis usingadditional employment data from the BLS, we saw the same pattern: employment growth was higher in states where the minimum wage went up. While this kind of simple exercise can't establish causality, it does provide evidence against theoretical negative employment effects of minimum-wage increases.

Attachments

• wolcott-2014-06-30.jpg
    wolcott-2014-06-30.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 24
Then we have this:
2014 Job Creation Faster in States that Raised the Minimum Wage
The experience of the 13 states that increased their minimum wage on January 1st of this year might provide some guidance for what to expect here in Washington, DC when the city-wideminimum wage increasesto $9.50 on July 1.
At the beginning of 2014,13 statesincreased their minimum wage. Of these 13 states, four passed legislation raising their minimum wage (Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island). In the other nine, their minimum wage automatically increased in line with inflation at the beginning of the year (Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Missouri, Montana, Ohio, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington state).
As CEPR noted inMarchandAprilposts, economists at Goldman Sachs conducted a simple evaluation of the impact of these state minimum-wage increases. GS compared the employment change between December and January in the 13 states where the minimum wage increased with the changes in the remainder of the states. The GS analysis found that the states where the minimum wage went up had faster employment growth than the states where the minimum wage remained at its 2013 level.
When we updated the GS analysis usingadditional employment data from the BLS, we saw the same pattern: employment growth was higher in states where the minimum wage went up. While this kind of simple exercise can't establish causality, it does provide evidence against theoretical negative employment effects of minimum-wage increases.
Wow, I claim you can't read a chart and every single time you post one you prove it.
The article is a lie as there was no analysis. Since they didnt correct for other factors they are assuming a causation where none likely exists. That is certainly borne out by the chart, where the top job grower didnt increase min wage and the bottom one did.

Forum List

Back