Raise the Minimum Wage

It's not a matter of sympathy for business. It's a matter of what a business pays should be the choice of the business doing the paying not someone like you that doesn't own one. When it comes to the workers, I don't have sympathy for someone that makes personal choices in private life then expects the government force a business to pay for something totally unrelated to what pay should be based on, skills.

That you still claim workers are the overwhelming majority of the reason productivity is up and give lip service to technology invalidates your argument.

It could be 10 years ago or 10 days ago, it doesn't matter. You argument is based on situations not the only factor that should go into determining a wage, skills.

It is give and take. Someone works a job that is worth $7.25/hour and they get paid that much. That's fair. To say otherwise is saying fair involves making a business pay more than skills are worth determined by those not doing the paying.

Without a business, there would be no workers. If no business existed, no workers would exist. Therefore, before any worker position ever comes into place, the business must come first.

My argue is based on a business being the one to determine the wage not letting some asshole like you have a say in what a business you don't own pays.
Dude your entire argument is based on the same tired belief businesses shouldn't be forced to pay a certain wage. You can repeat that shit over and over but it wouldn't do anything to erase the objective facts I am giving you about poverty in America. Unless you have some other arguement why the minimum wage shouldn't be raised just stop now. I'm really sick of this personal choice bullshit about the jobs people accept. That isn't relevant anymore. People have NO CHOICE but to accept low wage jobs.

Imagine the chaos if there was no minimum wage. What would stop businesses paying their workers 2.00 an hour? How would you feel then?

That's because businesses shouldn't be forced to pay a certain wage. It's not an employers place to bring someone out of poverty. It's the person's responsibility. The only thing an employer owes a worker is a wage equivalent to the skills the worker offers. An employer is in no way responsible for personal life choices that put or keep someone in poverty. That you think so proves you would never be successful in business. That you use the word dude to address me also proves it.

Low skilled people have no choice but to accept low wage jobs. That's because they have low skills.

I would feel fine if the skills that worker offers is worth $2/hour.
It's interesting you try to make this fantasy correlation between lack of skill and pay. Do you think a business would say "well he has no skills, let's pay him $2 per hour. I don't know the logic behind 2 per hour, but let's just go with it". Why doesn't the job itself matter? The actual work? Are you suggesting fast food workers (the average age is 29) should be paid $2 an hour? Based on what quantifiable measure is that? Many fast food workers are independent adults trying to make a living. Because they had no prior skill, they should be paid shitty regardless of how demanding their job is?

Okay now let's pretend there is no minimum wage again. What would stop a business from paying a skilled worker $4 an hour and a no skilled worker $2 per hour? You see how that works? There must be rules.

Since the skills required to make a burger are on about the $2/hour level, $2/hour sounds good. The only measure that matters is what the owner thinks the job is worth. What you think doesn't mean shit.

It's because they have no skills as why they get paid a low wage. If it's shitty, that's their fault for not offering more skills.

Skilled workers wouldn't be paid $4/hour because they are SKILLED.

I have figured out why you want rules for minimum pay. Otherwise, your dumbass would be one of those making $2/hour because what you have to offer is about one step above what a monkey could be trained to do.

Please explain how you have came to the conclusion that fast food workers are worth $2/Hr.

Seriously, explain your methodology here.
He won't explain it.

This country lacks enough skilled workers. Which has hurt this country's competitiveness. Call it what you will, education or training, if it helps the minimum wage worker to to rise up and better themselves, becoming a skilled worker takes training/education.
Training workers to fill the skilled workers void, which helps America and betters Americans. Who covers to cost of training the unskilled minimum wage worker?
Tge usual unsubtantiated blather from you.
When you write "skilled worker" what kind of skills? Are you talking about a machinist? An operator of advanced manufacturing equipment? Or someone who knows enough to dress appropriately and show up on time sober and ready to work? Because believe it or not that is a job skill, and one lots of people dont have.

This country lacks enough skilled workers. Which has hurt this country's competitiveness. Call it what you will, education or training, if it helps the minimum wage worker to to rise up and better themselves, becoming a skilled worker takes training/education.
Training workers to fill the skilled workers void, which helps America and betters Americans. Who covers to cost of training the unskilled minimum wage worker?
When you write "skilled worker" what kind of skills? Are you talking about a machinist? An operator of advanced manufacturing equipment? Or someone who knows enough to dress appropriately and show up on time sober and ready to work? Because believe it or not that is a job skill, and one lots of people dont have.

If you can't add anything to the discussion but absolutely stupid questions, (which is your well-known M.O.), why not shut the fuck up?
You spend all day, every day here making yourself look like an idiot. It's probably because you don't have any friends in the real world. I'm so happy I'm not you. :thup:

Since it's illegal to buy votes, the next best way is give people a raise. :)

28 million working Americans would benefit. 28 million votes swinging for whoever got them that raise...I'm not a political operative but this doesn't sound very complicated to me.

So... raise the value of zero?

LOL! Oh that's brilliant!

If you can't add anything to the discussion but absolutely stupid questions, (which is your well-known M.O.), why not shut the fuck up?
You spend all day, every day here making yourself look like an idiot. It's probably because you don't have any friends in the real world. I'm so happy I'm not you. :thup:
I ask you reaonable questions on what you meant and you respond with insults.
That tells me you havent thought anything about it and are just giving the first canned response that comes to mind, some sound bite you heard on a talk show. "We lack skilled workers." "We are exporting jobs." "Obama is lord" (OK, I made up that one).

Dude your entire argument is based on the same tired belief businesses shouldn't be forced to pay a certain wage. You can repeat that shit over and over but it wouldn't do anything to erase the objective facts I am giving you about poverty in America. Unless you have some other arguement why the minimum wage shouldn't be raised just stop now. I'm really sick of this personal choice bullshit about the jobs people accept. That isn't relevant anymore. People have NO CHOICE but to accept low wage jobs.

Imagine the chaos if there was no minimum wage. What would stop businesses paying their workers 2.00 an hour? How would you feel then?

That's because businesses shouldn't be forced to pay a certain wage. It's not an employers place to bring someone out of poverty. It's the person's responsibility. The only thing an employer owes a worker is a wage equivalent to the skills the worker offers. An employer is in no way responsible for personal life choices that put or keep someone in poverty. That you think so proves you would never be successful in business. That you use the word dude to address me also proves it.

Low skilled people have no choice but to accept low wage jobs. That's because they have low skills.

It's interesting you try to make this fantasy correlation between lack of skill and pay. Do you think a business would say "well he has no skills, let's pay him $2 per hour. I don't know the logic behind 2 per hour, but let's just go with it". Why doesn't the job itself matter? The actual work? Are you suggesting fast food workers (the average age is 29) should be paid $2 an hour? Based on what quantifiable measure is that? Many fast food workers are independent adults trying to make a living. Because they had no prior skill, they should be paid shitty regardless of how demanding their job is?

Okay now let's pretend there is no minimum wage again. What would stop a business from paying a skilled worker $4 an hour and a no skilled worker $2 per hour? You see how that works? There must be rules.

Since the skills required to make a burger are on about the $2/hour level, $2/hour sounds good. The only measure that matters is what the owner thinks the job is worth. What you think doesn't mean shit.

It's because they have no skills as why they get paid a low wage. If it's shitty, that's their fault for not offering more skills.

I have figured out why you want rules for minimum pay. Otherwise, your dumbass would be one of those making $2/hour because what you have to offer is about one step above what a monkey could be trained to do.

Please explain how you have came to the conclusion that fast food workers are worth $2/Hr.

Because a monkey could be trained to do what many of them do and "do you want fries with that" being the hardest thing to learn is worth about $2/hour.

Explain why you think it's your place to make any kind of determination what a business owner should pay his employee regardless of the job. Since you aren't doing the paying, STFU about what someone actually doing the paying should be paying.

You speaking from experience about what a monkey can do? You being the monkey.

But lets say the McDonalds owner could pay 2 bucks an hour for hamburger flippers. (btw, the grill cook is an important position in a fast food place) And the hamburger flippers all walk out the door. How long would it take the business owner to acquire and train the monkeys and how much business would it cost him till the monkeys could be trained. And will the monkeys shit all over the floor? That's a problem Unless you gonna get rid of health codes.

You seem to know about trained monkeys.

The question is not raising the minimum wage the problem is how much to raise it. I don't object to raising it but I do doubling it to $15.00 a hour.
If it worked, I might be in favour of it.

As it is, today's MW does not buy what the original $0.75 an hour bought.

Because a monkey could be trained to do what many of them do and "do you want fries with that" being the hardest thing to learn is worth about $2/hour.

Explain why you think it's your place to make any kind of determination what a business owner should pay his employee regardless of the job. Since you aren't doing the paying, STFU about what someone actually doing the paying should be paying.

You speaking from experience about what a monkey can do? You being the monkey.

But lets say the McDonalds owner could pay 2 bucks an hour for hamburger flippers. (btw, the grill cook is an important position in a fast food place) And the hamburger flippers all walk out the door. How long would it take the business owner to acquire and train the monkeys and how much business would it cost him till the monkeys could be trained. And will the monkeys shit all over the floor? That's a problem Unless you gonna get rid of health codes.

You seem to know about trained monkeys.

Since my hourly equivalent wage, since I'm on salary, is at 6x what minimum wage is, something you'll never earn, means I'm not the monkey. I actually have skills someone thinks is worth far more.

They could hire you and would still be paying too much at $2/hour gorilla.

He won't explain it.

Their job requires near to nothing in the way of skills to do. In July, I went to McDonalds in the town where I work 21 of the 24 days I worked that month. I changed something on the order such as no pickles, no mayo, no onions, etc. 11 of those 21 days, the order was wrong. On one occasion, I ordered a new item asking that the mayo and pickles be left off. The order taker said it came with neither. When I got it, it had both. I took it to the counter and the person that took the order told me I should have simply wiped off the mayo and taken off the pickles. When someone has such low skills they can't do something simple as that, they don't deserve $2/hour.

28 million Americans do not make the minimum wage. Less than 3% of the work force. And most of them are high school and college kids and seniors retired with other income. Need to focus on the increasing low and no uneducated work force with NO skills. Subsidizing mediocrity and rewarding ignorance grows it.

If you are making the MW now and are over the age of 25 you have no skills and are unmarketable in most instances. My 25 year old son just got hired at 85K a year. Guess why. DUH.

Actually our currency has made a dramatic rise against most all other currencies and as a result of when it was devalued our exports increased as it was easier for other countries to buy our products which when our currency was very high not affordable to them.

The question is not raising the minimum wage the problem is how much to raise it. I don't object to raising it but I do doubling it to $15.00 a hour.
As long as it was gradual, it would work. To keep up with inflation, the wage would have to be 15.00

The skills required to do minimum wage jobs have been the same for years. That means those doing minimum wage jobs are on the same skills level as someone doing the same job 50 years ago. Since the skill level hasn't inflated, why should the wage?
The problem is that 16.5 million people make under 10.10. Many of those people are raising kids. Could you live off 10.10 an hour? Look I'm all for paying skilled people more than entry levels, but if so many people are forced to take jobs they can't support themselves on it's only ethical to pay them more or allow them to work more per week. Even people working full time can't support themselves and their kids on less than 10.10.

Here's something to consider: productivity in the lower classes has increased 100% in the last couple of decades yet wages have remained flat. Shouldn't these workers be compensated for the extra demand in productivity?

They wouldn't be forced to take minimum wage jobs if people, like those carrying degrees to include recent college graduates, could find higher skill jobs. Our current administration has not produced policies that encourage a high skill job market, those companies that require higher skills are looking to build overseas and not here at home. What exactly are democrats doing to encourage these businesses to find there way to expand and hire here in this country?

As long as it was gradual, it would work. To keep up with inflation, the wage would have to be 15.00

The skills required to do minimum wage jobs have been the same for years. That means those doing minimum wage jobs are on the same skills level as someone doing the same job 50 years ago. Since the skill level hasn't inflated, why should the wage?
The problem is that 16.5 million people make under 10.10. Many of those people are raising kids. Could you live off 10.10 an hour? Look I'm all for paying skilled people more than entry levels, but if so many people are forced to take jobs they can't support themselves on it's only ethical to pay them more or allow them to work more per week. Even people working full time can't support themselves and their kids on less than 10.10.

Here's something to consider: productivity in the lower classes has increased 100% in the last couple of decades yet wages have remained flat. Shouldn't these workers be compensated for the extra demand in productivity?

They wouldn't be forced to take minimum wage jobs if people, like those carrying degrees to include recent college graduates, could find higher skill jobs. Our current administration has not produced policies that encourage a high skill job market, those companies that require higher skills are looking to build overseas and not here at home. What exactly are democrats doing to encourage these businesses to find there way to expand and hire here in this country?

My focus is on those who do not have higher skills or education. It's centered around those whose skills allow them nothing more than the minimum wage job. I agree there are those with college degrees that have no other choice. What I like to know in those situations is what was the major for that degree. Is it something for which there is no demand regardless of whether or not the economy is going well? If someone has a degree in a low demand field, it's going to be low demand even when things are going well.

I agree that the Democrats haven't done much to help the cause. The problem I have with that is they blame Republicans despite have controlled at least 2 of the 3 bodies in government involved in something becoming law (Senate and Presidency) for the past 6 years. Also, what they propose does anything but encourage businesses to stay here. They constantly talk about wanting to tax businesses/corporations so they "pay their fair share" then wonder why they look to go where taxes are lower.

My focus is on those who do not have higher skills or education. It's centered around those whose skills allow them nothing more than the minimum wage job. I agree there are those with college degrees that have no other choice. What I like to know in those situations is what was the major for that degree. Is it something for which there is no demand regardless of whether or not the economy is going well? If someone has a degree in a low demand field, it's going to be low demand even when things are going well.

I agree that the Democrats haven't done much to help the cause. The problem I have with that is they blame Republicans despite have controlled at least 2 of the 3 bodies in government involved in something becoming law (Senate and Presidency) for the past 6 years. Also, what they propose does anything but encourage businesses to stay here. They constantly talk about wanting to tax businesses/corporations so they "pay their fair share" then wonder why they look to go where taxes are lower.

Democrats haven't done anything because they know better. Despite their demagoguery, they understand the damage caused by minimum wage laws and aren't willing to take the blame for it.

Democrats haven't done anything because they know better. Despite their demagoguery, they understand the damage caused by minimum wage laws and aren't willing to take the blame for it.

Democrats apparently don't know the damage caused by calls for higher taxes.

One thing it seems that many folks miss is that raising the Minimum Wage does help the Middle Class.
It's a well known fact that the American Middle Class has been spinning it's wheels for over three decades because of flat wage growth.
For decades the American Middle Class was the envy of the world but now it isn't. Canada recently passed the US as having the wealthiest Middle Class. Other wealthy nation's Middle Classes have seen a much more significant growth in their income than the US Middle Class and will join Canada as far as having a stronger Middle Class than the US.
Now, back to the Middle Class benefiting from an increase in the Minimum Wage. Below is an article that echo's what a recent paper written by Joseph Sabia which was published by the libertarian Cato Institute.
======================================================
Minimum Wage Hike Would Benefit 3X More Middle-Class Workers Than Poor
Three times as many workers from middle-class families would benefit from President Obama's proposal to raise the federal minimum wage from $7.25 to $10.10 an hour as those living in households below the federal poverty line, according to a new study.
A family of four with an annual income of $23,550 or below is considered poor under the 2013 Federal Poverty Guidelines. But raising the minimum wage would help only 13 percent of workers in that category, according to a study by Joseph Sabia, associate professor of economics at San Diego State University and an expert on the minimum wage.
However, the 39 percent hike in the minimum wage proposed by President Obama would benefit two-thirds of workers in households with annual incomes over twice the poverty line ($47,100 for a family of four) and 40 percent of workers with household incomes three times the federal poverty level ($70,650 for a family of four) - or three times the percentage of poor workers who would benefit.
Calling the minimum wage "an antiquated anti-poverty tool," Prof. Sabia says his own research and a comprehensive survey of past minimum wage studies shows that "there is no evidence that minimum wage increases reduce poverty."
"Even among a population that has been targeted by policymakers for minimum wage protection - less-educated single mothers - my research has found no evidence that minimum wage increases reduce poverty," Professor Sabia writes in a paper published by the Cato Institute. “While alleviating poverty is a widely shared goal, raising the minimum wage is a very inefficient means of achieving this objective.” (See Minimum wage CATO (1).pdf)
Minimum Wage Hike Would Benefit 3X More Middle-Class Workers Than Poor CNS News
===========================================================

One thing it seems that many folks miss is that raising the Minimum Wage does help the Middle Class.
It's a well known fact that the American Middle Class has been spinning it's wheels for over three decades because of flat wage growth.
For decades the American Middle Class was the envy of the world but now it isn't. Canada recently passed the US as having the wealthiest Middle Class. Other wealthy nation's Middle Classes have seen a much more significant growth in their income than the US Middle Class and will join Canada as far as having a stronger Middle Class than the US.
Now, back to the Middle Class benefiting from an increase in the Minimum Wage. Below is an article that echo's what a recent paper written by Joseph Sabia which was published by the libertarian Cato Institute.
======================================================
Minimum Wage Hike Would Benefit 3X More Middle-Class Workers Than Poor
Three times as many workers from middle-class families would benefit from President Obama's proposal to raise the federal minimum wage from $7.25 to $10.10 an hour as those living in households below the federal poverty line, according to a new study.
A family of four with an annual income of $23,550 or below is considered poor under the 2013 Federal Poverty Guidelines. But raising the minimum wage would help only 13 percent of workers in that category, according to a study by Joseph Sabia, associate professor of economics at San Diego State University and an expert on the minimum wage.
However, the 39 percent hike in the minimum wage proposed by President Obama would benefit two-thirds of workers in households with annual incomes over twice the poverty line ($47,100 for a family of four) and 40 percent of workers with household incomes three times the federal poverty level ($70,650 for a family of four) - or three times the percentage of poor workers who would benefit.
Calling the minimum wage "an antiquated anti-poverty tool," Prof. Sabia says his own research and a comprehensive survey of past minimum wage studies shows that "there is no evidence that minimum wage increases reduce poverty."
"Even among a population that has been targeted by policymakers for minimum wage protection - less-educated single mothers - my research has found no evidence that minimum wage increases reduce poverty," Professor Sabia writes in a paper published by the Cato Institute. “While alleviating poverty is a widely shared goal, raising the minimum wage is a very inefficient means of achieving this objective.” (See Minimum wage CATO (1).pdf)
Minimum Wage Hike Would Benefit 3X More Middle-Class Workers Than Poor CNS News
===========================================================

Isn't it time for our Representative, Senate and White House do something that actually benefits the Middle Class. It seems focusing on the Middle Class is way, way down on the list, that's if it is even on the list.
This isn't about Republicans or Democrats, this is a non-partisan or bi-partisan if you will. The Middle Class is made up of all parties and of course Independents. Why does this become a partisan issue? There are many posters here, who are Middle Class who fight tooth and nail not to do the right thing for the Middle Class. Fucking nut jobs.

Forum List

Back