Putting the Catholic Church in my rear view window...

Show me the Scripture that teaches to pray to His mother Mary.
There are a couple that apply. Jesus taught God is the Father of the living. The Body of Christ is made up of all those who believe, those who are living on earth; those who have passed on. Jesus also taught where two or more are gathered in his name, there he is as well. Therefore, Catholics see no difference between asking a family member or friend to pray with them, or in asking someone who has passed on to join in their prayer. We are all united in the Body of Christ.
That's unscriptural. Show me the Scripture that says you can pray with a dead person. Go ahead.

Do people who don't believe in god have eternal life anyways?
People who do not believe in God are left in the care of a loving and merciful God. In Romans it is recorded that right and wrong are written in every human heart; and that those who hold no beliefs are judged by their own hearts. We are often harder on ourselves than others are. Something to consider.
So basically, everyone goes to the same place. I agree, wherever that is.

You're ASSUMING I don't know the Bible because I'm not a Catholic. I not only have read through the Bible, I have actually studied it. You're one of those arrogant Catholics who believe that your sect has the key to heaven. Nope. Whosoever believes in Jesus Christ will be saved. I'm a whosoever.
is that a belief in the religious itinerant or the christian bible ... as in, whosoever - - > reads your book. rather than the spoken or intrinsic religion known by all beings.

That's unscriptural. Show me the Scripture that says you can pray with a dead person. Go ahead.
Show me the scripture where Christ says those who have passed on are dead. God is the God of the living.
Haha, I see you're playing games now. Why not just admit that the catholic church holds tradition as sacred as Scripture. At least be honest about it.

Show me the Scripture that says you can pray with a dead person. Go ahead.

Show me the scripture where Christ says those who have passed on are dead. God is the God of the living.
Haha, I see you're playing games now. Why not just admit that the catholic church holds tradition as sacred as Scripture. At least be honest about it.

Actually, I would say they hold tradition higher than scripture. (which makes them like pretty much everyone else in the world btw)

“There are six things the LORD hates, seven that are detestable to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness who pours out lies and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers.” Proverbs 6:16-19

^ This bears repeating.

Why not just admit that the catholic church
I am explaining Catholicism to you. There is nothing to "admit". Tradition comes from the Apostles who lived the life and walked with Christ. The Bible also tells of the life of Christ. Tell me, who came first? The Apostles or the Gospels and Epistles? There is no contradiction between Apostles and the Bible.

I am explaining Catholicism to you. There is nothing to "admit". Tradition comes from the Apostles who lived the life and walked with Christ. The Bible also tells of the life of Christ. Tell me, who came first? The Apostles or the Gospels and Epistles? There is no contradiction between Apostles and the Bible.
The Apostles never asked Mary to pray for anyone. I've studied all the Episodes of Paul, Peter, James, John, and there's nothing mentioned about Mary. Everything is about Jesus.

The Apostles never asked Mary to pray for anyone. I've studied all the Episodes of Paul, Peter, James, John, and there's nothing mentioned about Mary. Everything is about Jesus.
:) You may be right! When Jesus said, "When two or three of you gather in my name..." he clearly forgot to include, "Except you cannot gather with my mother. She doesn't count." Oh, wait a minute! She did gather with the Apostles on Pentecost, so I guess she wasn't excluded after all.

Why does it bother you that Catholics pray with both the living and those who have passed on? It wasn't a requirement, after all. No one is insisting you pray with anyone, let alone those who have passed on.

So Mary influenced people to be sinners.

:) You may be right! When Jesus said, "When two or three of you gather in my name..." he clearly forgot to include, "Except you cannot gather with my mother. She doesn't count." Oh, wait a minute! She did gather with the Apostles on Pentecost, so I guess she wasn't excluded after all.

Why does it bother you that Catholics pray with both the living and those who have passed on? It wasn't a requirement, after all. No one is insisting you pray with anyone, let alone those who have passed on.
You're either very ignorant or playing dumb. Tell us where repeating "Hail Mary etc etc" is found in Scripture.

Mary was a sinful woman just like everyone else. She needed a Savior and acknowledged that fact.

Mary was a sinful woman just like everyone else. She needed a Savior and acknowledged that fact.
speak for yourself, rather dramatic "needed a Savior" what sin did she acknowledge ...

there are many that overcome their sins to never sin again, called adults ... what are the sins you keep repeating have you ever considered doing something about your behavior.

My wife is Catholic, and we baptized our son into the Catholic Church at the insistence of my dearly-departed mother-in-law. Because frankly, I don't really care. All religions get you to the same place anyways.

Even though I'm Protestant, about 90% of the time when I've gone to church it's been to a Catholic one. That's because I had a friend who was Catholic growing up, and I'd take my mother-in-law to church when she visited us. (My Catholic wife refused to go to mass for deep seated reasons.)

And I have to say, I'm not particularly impressed with the Catholic Church. It's very ritualistic. And boring. Plus I've been to the Vatican a few times. It's the most spectacular building on earth, but it raises a few questions about the consistency of its teachings.

Anyways, I have nothing else to add. I worship at the church of the NFL on Sundays, so I don't go to religious church regularly.

Forum List

Back