Putting the Catholic Church in my rear view window...

The seven Sacraments is a catholic doctrine, not a Christian Church doctrine.
The seven Sacraments have a Biblical base that center around the life and ministry of Christ. Catholics celebrate and live this.
Show me in the New Testament where this is taught as Church doctrine.

By the way: The bible was made from us Catholics. Sometimes I think we made perhaps something wrong, when we made it, because the bible is a book of books and not a god. It tells about experiences with god from thousands of authors and co-authors. We are in general not "the religion of the book" - we are a religion of God's general revelation. Somehow "the bible" in reality never stopped. It's not over yet only because a book is written. Who reads, reads what he is able to understand. The bible is a compass - but it is not the own way someone has to go to find the way to god.

Last edited:
How did you come to that conclusion?
At the center of the seven Sacraments is the life and ministry of Christ. Why are you insisting that a Church not have the life and ministry of Christ at its center, and revolve around this? You claim such a Church, a Church that revolves around the life and ministry of Christ is not Biblical. I know that it is. Therefore the conclusion you do not know the life and ministry of Christ; that you do not know the Bible. Do you and your denomination read through the entire Bible every three years? If not, perhaps that is why it is unknown to you?

No I am speaking a a person who was a searcher. I looked into Christianity and some other religions and found them all wanting. And in all honesty it was the people in those churches I had a hard time abiding. I saw so much hypocrisy that I could not abide.

So tell me why does the bible speak of eternal rewards and endless punishment if not to sway people by fear and greed?

and i never said they tried to be better. It is my conclusion that the person who chooses to live a good life with no expectation of salvation, an eternal life in heaven or whatever is a better person than one who does.
Two thoughts: How much time did you spend on your search? Unless you spent at least a decade on each religion, it again speaks of merely scratching the surface. As our superior, I bow to your judgement that we are all hypocrites.

The Bible speaks of choice and what one can expect as the result of one's choice. The results begin in the here and now and extend into eternity. They should come as no surprise to anyone as each person is well aware of his/her day-to-day choices.

Each faith's promise is to teach a way of life that has lasting results. Fear and greed have little to do with most denominations as the focus is on an everlasting way of life. Fear and greed are at best short-term.

Yes, we know how you judge: We bad, you good. ;)
so tell me you have spent more than a decade studying on each and every religion and that's how you decided on Christianity?

I'll give you 10 to one odds you did not.

How much time have you spent with an Imam, a rabbi, a buddhist monk? you want to hold me up to a standard that I know you did not meet when you made your decision to follow your particular religion.

Then tell me how Catholics are saved.
Hardly ever hear the word "Saved" in the Catholic Church. "Redemption" and "Redeemed" are more in the Catholic vocabulary. And, of course, the familiar line of, "He is our life and our salvation." Eternal life is God's gift to us. We are on the path of that right now, and it will continue on into the afterlife. We follow The Way Jesus taught--discern the will of God and follow it/do it. That is the Way of Salvation. Jesus is the Way, so Jesus is our life and our Salvation. He redeemed us.
Do people who don't believe in god have eternal life anyways?

The seven Sacraments is a catholic doctrine, not a Christian Church doctrine.
The seven Sacraments have a Biblical base that center around the life and ministry of Christ. Catholics celebrate and live this.
Show me in the New Testament where this is taught as Church doctrine.

By the way: The bible was made from us Catholics. Sometimes I think we made perhaps something wrong, when we made it, because the bible is a book of books and not a god. It tells about experiences with god from thousands of authors and co-authors. We are in general not "the religion of the book" - we are a religion of God's general revelation. Somehow "the bible" in reality never stopped. It's not over yet only because a book is written. Who reads, reads what he is able to understand. The bible is a compass - but it is not the own way someone has to go to find the way to god.
By the way: The bible was made from us Catholics. Sometimes I think we made perhaps something wrong, when we made it, because the bible is a book of books and not a god.
the christian (10000 page) bible is a political document disguised as a religion through forgeries and falacies - about a religion for the origin of life and its spiritual content.

if a life, physiology were made in a laboratory - would they have as well created a spiritual content - no, nor would it mostlikey have even an apatite.

refining the religion of life takes an awful turn when envisioned by the desert religions and is no where near the resolution yet to be resolved while those congregations continue in their illicit behavior.

so tell me you have spent more than a decade studying on each and every religion and that's how you decided on Christianity?

How much time have you spent with an Imam, a rabbi, a buddhist monk? you want to hold me up to a standard that I know you did not meet when you made your decision to follow your particular religion.
Would you be fine with what really happened? Doubt it. You would reduce your odds significantly or even forego the bet.

. I've been Catholic all my life and giving up Catholicism would be worse than giving up my right arm.

Take a look at the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod. You may find a lot more of what you’re looking for. The liturgy and most of the theology will be very familiar to you. You’ll get used to the differences in Communion and Confession.

How did you come to that conclusion?
At the center of the seven Sacraments is the life and ministry of Christ. Why are you insisting that a Church not have the life and ministry of Christ at its center, and revolve around this? You claim such a Church, a Church that revolves around the life and ministry of Christ is not Biblical. I know that it is. Therefore the conclusion you do not know the life and ministry of Christ; that you do not know the Bible. Do you and your denomination read through the entire Bible every three years? If not, perhaps that is why it is unknown to you?
You're ASSUMING I don't know the Bible because I'm not a Catholic. I not only have read through the Bible, I have actually studied it. You're one of those arrogant Catholics who believe that your sect has the key to heaven. Nope. Whosoever believes in Jesus Christ will be saved. I'm a whosoever.

People who do not believe in God are left in the care of a loving and merciful God. In Romans it is recorded that right and wrong are written in every human heart; and that those who hold no beliefs are judged by their own hearts. We are often harder on ourselves than others are. Something to consider.

Would you be fine with what really happened? Doubt it. You would reduce your odds significantly or even forego the bet.
did you apply the same standards to yourself that you say I must meet in order to make an informed choice on what religion to follow?

I doubt it.

People who do not believe in God are left in the care of a loving and merciful God. In Romans it is recorded that right and wrong are written in every human heart; and that those who hold no beliefs are judged by their own hearts. We are often harder on ourselves than others are. Something to consider.
so then no need to worship a god.

You're ASSUMING I don't know the Bible because I'm not a Catholic. I not only have read through the Bible, I have actually studied it. You're one of those arrogant Catholics who believe that your sect has the key to heaven. Nope. Whosoever believes in Jesus Christ will be saved. I'm a whosoever.
If you have studied the Bible than you should understand the seven Sacraments. The Catholic Church teaches that Jews and Muslims each have a Covenant with God that God will honor. The Church also teaches that those who do not believe are left to the care of a loving and merciful God.

I never had any doubt of your salvation. I have no wish for you to become Catholic. My only point has been that you do not speak for the Catholic faith nor do you understand its beliefs and practices. You appear so blind to it, you cannot even identify how each Catholic practice is Biblically based. You have simply insisted that it is not. My thought has always been that people should speak about their own beliefs and practices, not those of any other faith or denomination. You have been trying to speak about the beliefs and practices of another denomination, and you have that part wrong. That's all. I have no hard feelings, no condemnation--a mere and mild correction and that's it.

Do you believe that only Catholics will be in heaven. or ALL those who believe in Jesus Christ as their Savior?

Don't tell them then. How are they going to know and you might have to go to another church. If you feeling guilty then it is a test.
The Catholic Church would allow me to attend but not allow me to accept the Eucharist.

That's something I can't accept.

Well, you're going to have to make some decisions.

I refer to myself as a "recovering Catholic". I haven't stepped inside a church in... wow, I honestly can't remember the last time.

I get the sense that you're searching for a way for this to work and, frankly, the Church offers you that. The fact that you think it's bullshit to ask for an annulment doesn't really factor into the equation. If being a Catholic is that important to you, why are you so unwilling to accept something that the Church so willingly offers you?

My question, though, is does the Church actually offer it? I've not had to have a marriage annulled, so I don't know, but I know from a legal perspective there are time restraints ranging from a few months to a few years after the marriage takes place...

If you have studied the Bible than you should understand the seven Sacraments. The Catholic Church teaches that Jews and Muslims each have a Covenant with God that God will honor. The Church also teaches that those who do not believe are left to the care of a loving and merciful God.

I never had any doubt of your salvation. I have no wish for you to become Catholic. My only point has been that you do not speak for the Catholic faith nor do you understand its beliefs and practices. You appear so blind to it, you cannot even identify how each Catholic practice is Biblically based. You have simply insisted that it is not. My thought has always been that people should speak about their own beliefs and practices, not those of any other faith or denomination. You have been trying to speak about the beliefs and practices of another denomination, and you have that part wrong. That's all. I have no hard feelings, no condemnation--a mere and mild correction and that's it.
Muslims don't have a Covenant with God. Where did you get that idea?

so then no need to worship a god.
There is no need to live inside, but I do not advise living out among the elements.

In Jesus' parable of the workers in the vineyard: Who do you believe are the ones most blessed, those who worked all day, or those who worked only the last hour? I believe it is those who worked all day, and that is the reason they had no reason to complain those who worked only an hour had the same wage. I would rather spend this life in our Father's vineyard...how about you?

did you apply the same standards to yourself that you say I must meet in order to make an informed choice on what religion to follow?

I doubt it.
Grin. So you doubt it. Your doubts mean nothing to me. You do not know my story or my journey or why I chose to be Catholic, why I married an atheist, why I help my brother-in-law with Buddhist teachings or my daughter's learning of the Jewish faith. You have your own journey of faith and that should bring you joy.

Do you believe that only Catholics will be in heaven. or ALL those who believe in Jesus Christ as their Savior?
No, I do not believe only Catholics will be in heaven. That is not only my own belief, but the teaching of the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church believes it is teaching the Way Jesus taught, so it will teach no other. However, those the Church cannot reach are left to the Power of God--who is much more powerful than any Church.

No, I do not believe only Catholics will be in heaven. That is not only my own belief, but the teaching of the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church believes it is teaching the Way Jesus taught, so it will teach no other. However, those the Church cannot reach are left to the Power of God--who is much more powerful than any Church.
Show me the Scripture that teaches to pray to His mother Mary.

Show me the Scripture that teaches to pray to His mother Mary.
There are a couple that apply. Jesus taught God is the Father of the living. The Body of Christ is made up of all those who believe, those who are living on earth; those who have passed on. Jesus also taught where two or more are gathered in his name, there he is as well. Therefore, Catholics see no difference between asking a family member or friend to pray with them, or in asking someone who has passed on to join in their prayer. We are all united in the Body of Christ.

Forum List

Back