Private Gun Sales.

Constitutional amendments themselves are not laws.
are you saying we dont have to give due proccess and a trial and go straight to execution??

or that slavery is still legal??

I could go on but I hope that shows the mistake youre making with this comment,,

But you forget that slavery is still legal if you happen to be incarcerated.

Like I said there is no black and white in the real world.

So tell me if the federal law that prohibits convicted felons from owning firearms is unconstitutional why hasn't it been brought up through the courts and heard by SCOTUS:?
thats not slavery,, thats being punished for a crime,,,
Ok, but once released from prison, where you paid for your crime, why still punish them?

Actions have consequences.
Why still punish them after paying for your crime? If they are too evil to own guns don't let them out.

Like I said if the law that bars felons from owning guns is found unconstitutional so be it. I would still not sell a gun to a felon in a private sale. Just like I wouldn't hire an accountant convicted of embezzlement to do my books or a convicted child rapist to run a day care.

I suppose you think all those things are OK.
2 and 3 are not protocted rights,, #1 is and if theyve paid their debt they should get their rights back,,

We're going to disagree on that.

So there's no use in continuing.

Like I said if and when that law is struck down as unconstitutional so be it. But until then I have no problem with it.

are you saying we dont have to give due proccess and a trial and go straight to execution??

I could go on but I hope that shows the mistake youre making with this comment,,

So tell me if the federal law that prohibits convicted felons from owning firearms is unconstitutional why hasn't it been brought up through the courts and heard by SCOTUS:?
Ok, but once released from prison, where you paid for your crime, why still punish them?

Why still punish them after paying for your crime? If they are too evil to own guns don't let them out.

Like I said if the law that bars felons from owning guns is found unconstitutional so be it. I would still not sell a gun to a felon in a private sale. Just like I wouldn't hire an accountant convicted of embezzlement to do my books or a convicted child rapist to run a day care.

2 and 3 are not protocted rights,, #1 is and if theyve paid their debt they should get their rights back,,

Like I said if and when that law is struck down as unconstitutional so be it. But until then I have no problem with it.
just dont claim to be a supporter of the 2nd A,

The first gun I bought was a S&W model 29 from a highway patrolman when I was 17. My next purchase was two cases of 25 autos from a jobber who came by my dad's store. After all those handguns were banned by the '68 gun law, there was a huge number of them coming into the country and selling for as little as $10. That nasty law of unintended consequences. Those pesky Italians were dumping their inventories. Of course, before the Kennedys', et al, there was little interest by the general public in guns or gun control.

I think back to high school. I lived in a rural area and on any given day there were a dozen or so pickups in the school parking lot with full rear window rifle racks.
Funny, we never had any problems, even with 30 or 40 loaded guns on the grounds.

I just got one from a private individual. And , it ain't got no serial number.
If you're in the U.S., you are committing a felony in most states :( Cops - AND judges - tend to frown on that situation.
I've bought and sold to guys I did not know well. I kept the bill of sale and insisted on seeing their driver's license to confirm the name on the BoS. It isn't the business of anyone in government to restrict a citizen's right to commerce. If the 2 bills the Dems are pushing now make it to Biden's desk, it will create millions of citizens who will become felons overnight. Not even the dimmest and most hateful Marxists in DC actually believe they can confiscate all the guns.
What they want is to spread fear and have a legal tool to silence opposition. The message will get out quickly that if you say anything online they don't like, expect a knock at the door. I seem to recall one such Stasi-member in training right here. A signature exhorting people to drop a dime on anyone they don't like. That kind is also coward trash who'd NEVER challenge a man to his face.
Firearms did not have serial numbers on them until after 1968

Not true. Most firearms have had serial numbers from the beginning. After 1968 they were required on all production firearms.
I have a lot of firearms made before 1968 that do not have serial numbers

Long guns only. Almost all hand gun makers serialed their products going back to the mid 1800's. Most quality gun makers serial numbered their long guns too. However some didn't bother with their. 22 rifles.
Here's an example do you see a serial number n this 1855 colt?

If you're in the U.S., you are committing a felony in most states :( Cops - AND judges - tend to frown on that situation.
I've bought and sold to guys I did not know well. I kept the bill of sale and insisted on seeing their driver's license to confirm the name on the BoS. It isn't the business of anyone in government to restrict a citizen's right to commerce. If the 2 bills the Dems are pushing now make it to Biden's desk, it will create millions of citizens who will become felons overnight. Not even the dimmest and most hateful Marxists in DC actually believe they can confiscate all the guns.
What they want is to spread fear and have a legal tool to silence opposition. The message will get out quickly that if you say anything online they don't like, expect a knock at the door. I seem to recall one such Stasi-member in training right here. A signature exhorting people to drop a dime on anyone they don't like. That kind is also coward trash who'd NEVER challenge a man to his face.

Not true. Most firearms have had serial numbers from the beginning. After 1968 they were required on all production firearms.

Long guns only. Almost all hand gun makers serialed their products going back to the mid 1800's. Most quality gun makers serial numbered their long guns too. However some didn't bother with their. 22 rifles.

My 1851 Colt Navy has serial numbers in 4 places. As does my Colt Pocket Model 1849, and my 1860 Army model, and the original Colt Walker a friend of mine has that was made in 1847.

I have 7 Colt Single Action Army models made from 1874 to 1890.

Like I said, the vast majority.

My 1851 Colt Navy has serial numbers in 4 places. As does my Colt Pocket Model 1849, and my 1860 Army model, and the original Colt Walker a friend of mine has that was made in 1847.

I have 7 Colt Single Action Army models made from 1874 to 1890.

Like I said, the vast majority.
very well

I'm curious how many people buy or sell guns from or to a person they don't know.

I have never bought or sold a gun in a private sale. I don't want to buy a gun from someone only to find out it's a piece of junk and I don't want to buy any guns that may have been used in a crime so I only buy from licensed dealers.

I don't want to sell a gun to a person I don't know who may not be responsible or may commit crimes with a gun.
I asked a licenced FFL I hadn't purchaced from before what kind of warranty he offered ... He said "A Taillight Warranty"...as in, when your taillights disappear from view, so does the warranty.

I buy from private individuals, FFLs and online gun stores.

Never had an issue.

Selling is a different story...

I will only sell to unknown individual with a Missouri CCW. Otherwise I'll just sell or trade with folks I know or my local FFL.

I oppose banning private sales.

A ban of private sales is a de facto registration scheme. The first step to confiscation.

Do you oppose background checks for private sales?

Yes, for several reasons.
One is that they then let the government know what you have.
It also costs money.
The government won't let just anyone do a background checks, so you have to go through and pay an FFL.
Background check are pointless since any criminal will just get their weapons illegally.
Federal background check laws are specifically illegal according to the constitution.

The idea of turning the whole country into a supervised institution is insane.
What a normal society does instead is put only dangerous people into supervised institutions.
So you don't care if you sell a gun to a guy who uses it to murder someone or is felon or if you buy a possibly stolen gun that some criminal is selling you?

I think the $25 bucks an FFL charges is worth it for my own peace of mind

No one intent on murder is ever going to be effected by a gun law, so there is no reason not to sell to them.
Felons can not legally be prevented from the right of self defense.
Creating a 2nd tier of reduced rights for felons is illegal.
Stolen guns get sold to felons who are wiling to pay more for them, so there is risk of buying a stolen one.

I disagree as regards felons. Felons have proven that they have no regard for the Rights of others so I have no problem limiting theirs.

you arent the god that gives and takes our rights,, but thanks for your opinion,,
If you commit a felony you have given up your rights by being irresponsible
sorry but youre not the god that gives and takes rights away,,

you leftist are always the same,, you attack anyone that doesnt toe the line,,,

What you don't realize is that I cannot violate any of your rights.

I don't have to sell you a gun if I don't want to. I don't have to allow you the right to say whatever you want in my home or business. etc

The Bill of Rights only protects you from the government violating your rights.
youre opinion can start the process and support it,,,

I had nothing to do with federal gun laws that are on the books.

I just happen to agree that people who choose to commit felonies shouldn't own guns because they have already proven they are incapable of handling the responsibility.
I disagree, for several different reasons.

One, there are way too many ways to commit a felony in this country; not everyone who does is the same, nor should they all be treated the same.
Two, I have a real problem with a government believing it has the legitimate authority to act as some sort of arbiter of an individual's rights.
Three, anyone who has demonstrated that they are so dangerous that they we don't want them to have a gun, is too damned dangerous to be left walking loose. They don't need guns to hurt women, the elderly, and small children, do they?
Someone like that, you either drag his ass behind a truck clear into the next state and tell him he's dead if he ever comes back, or you just kill him and be done with it.

I'm curious how many people buy or sell guns from or to a person they don't know.

I have never bought or sold a gun in a private sale. I don't want to buy a gun from someone only to find out it's a piece of junk and I don't want to buy any guns that may have been used in a crime so I only buy from licensed dealers.

I don't want to sell a gun to a person I don't know who may not be responsible or may commit crimes with a gun.
I asked a licenced FFL I hadn't purchaced from before what kind of warranty he offered ... He said "A Taillight Warranty"...as in, when your taillights disappear from view, so does the warranty.

Never had an issue.

I will only sell to unknown individual with a Missouri CCW. Otherwise I'll just sell or trade with folks I know or my local FFL.

A ban of private sales is a de facto registration scheme. The first step to confiscation.

It also costs money.
The government won't let just anyone do a background checks, so you have to go through and pay an FFL.
Background check are pointless since any criminal will just get their weapons illegally.
Federal background check laws are specifically illegal according to the constitution.

What a normal society does instead is put only dangerous people into supervised institutions.
So you don't care if you sell a gun to a guy who uses it to murder someone or is felon or if you buy a possibly stolen gun that some criminal is selling you?

No one intent on murder is ever going to be effected by a gun law, so there is no reason not to sell to them.
Stolen guns get sold to felons who are wiling to pay more for them, so there is risk of buying a stolen one.

I disagree as regards felons. Felons have proven that they have no regard for the Rights of others so I have no problem limiting theirs.

you arent the god that gives and takes our rights,, but thanks for your opinion,,

I don't have to sell you a gun if I don't want to. I don't have to allow you the right to say whatever you want in my home or business. etc

I just happen to agree that people who choose to commit felonies shouldn't own guns because they have already proven they are incapable of handling the responsibility.
how would you know if someone has committed a felony???

did you commit any??
if I can prove you did will you turn over you guns??

I would check. If a person has been convicted of a felony it is public record.

And I have never been charged or convicted of a felony.
we arent talking about what youve been convicted of,, we are talking about what youve done,,

how many felonies do you think you commit each yr??
All that matters is what a person has been convicted of.

Because that's the only thing we can get reliable data for.
theres good data that everyone commits several felonies a yr,, so by your leftist standard no one should be allowed to own a gun,,,

I see your goal and reject its intent,,
No there really isn't. If there was you could tell me what felonies I have allegedly committed this year.

And FYI the federal law specifically states convicted felons so your attempt to move the goal posts is noted.
Second Amendment
Second Amendment Annotated

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.

sorry I'm not seeing that in the fed law,,,

you leftist are the ones moving the goal post,,

And now I'm a leftists. I wish you people would make up your minds.

So tell me if it is unconstitutional for there to be a federal gun law that states convicted felons are not allowed to possess firearms, why aren't you challenging that law and taking it to the Supreme Court?
as usual when a leftist cant defend their POV they start with the personal attacks,,,

its not about me,,

dont get mad at me, youre the one defending unconstitutional laws that take away a persons rights,,,

and who are "you people"??? americans?? cause thats what I am,,
What personal attack?

And you people on this message board who can't seem to understand that the world isn't just composed of right and left , black or white etc.

So stop whining and answer the question I asked you.
I know its not,, but you are clearly a leftist authoritarian that couldnt care less about human rights,,,

how do you know I am not part of the fight to take down unconstitutional gun laws?? FYI,,, I am,,,

If you insist on 2 dimensional thinking then ponder this.

I support Constitutional Carry laws. I do no think that any additional permits need be required for concealed carry. I just don't think convicted felons should be able to own firearms. And if you are correct then surely there would be Supreme Court cases that show prohibiting convicted felons from owning firearms is unconstitutional.

If that law is struck down as unconstitutional then I will abide by it because unlike convicted felons i obey the law. But that still in no way stops me from selling a gun to a person that has been convicted of a felony.
so a man that gets attacked on a public street after he takes his family to dinner and defends himself and family and causes the death of the attacker should loose his right to protect that family after being released from prison??

Since when is self defense a felony?
Terry Thompson in Harris County Texas.

Varg Freeborn, Ohio, I think.

That's just a couple off the top of my head..... getting prosecuted for defending yourself happens all the time.

I don’t sell many of my firearms but when I do I require the buyer have a valid Florida Concealed Weapons Permit. That way I know he has had a background check and some safety training with firearms. Plus people who have a concealed weapons permit rarely commit violent crimes.

That's a good policy.

The last person I sold firearms to was also a co-worker with a carry permit. We were friends and would often go to a pistol range. I was confident that he was an honest citizen and knew how to handle firearms safely.

I don’t often sell my firearms as I have discovered that when I do I wish I hadn’t. I once sold a nickel plated S&W Model 25-5 in 45 Long Colt as I simply couldn’t get it to be as accurate as some of my other firearms no matter how much I tailored the ammo load. It might have not been a tack driver but it was one beautiful weapon.

1617658003118.jpeg

They can't unless they lie on their 4473 like Hunter. Read section 11b Lying may not work if the felony was reported to FBI/NICS as it was supposed to be.

Form_4473_Revised_April_2012_page_1-568x735-760x507.png

Last edited:

Wrong.

Someone who supports the Second Amendment is someone who follows and acknowledges Second Amendment jurisprudence.

The Second Amendment exists solely in the context of its case law, as determined by the Supreme Court.

A firearm regulatory measure not invalidated by the courts is perfectly lawful and consistent with the Second Amendment.

Indeed, anyone who refuses to accept current Second Amendment jurisprudence cannot be a supporter of the Second Amendment.

Wrong.

Someone who supports the Second Amendment is someone who follows and acknowledges Second Amendment jurisprudence.

The Second Amendment exists solely in the context of its case law, as determined by the Supreme Court.

A firearm regulatory measure not invalidated by the courts is perfectly lawful and consistent with the Second Amendment.

Indeed, anyone who refuses to accept current Second Amendment jurisprudence cannot be a supporter of the Second Amendment.
In other words, you're full of shit, you know it, we know it, but you want us to all pretend that you're not.

Nahhh.....

Never had an issue.

It also costs money.

One, there are way too many ways to commit a felony in this country; not everyone who does is the same, nor should they all be treated the same.
Two, I have a real problem with a government believing it has the legitimate authority to act as some sort of arbiter of an individual's rights.
Three, anyone who has demonstrated that they are so dangerous that they we don't want them to have a gun, is too damned dangerous to be left walking loose. They don't need guns to hurt women, the elderly, and small children, do they?
Someone like that, you either drag his ass behind a truck clear into the next state and tell him he's dead if he ever comes back, or you just kill him and be done with it.
That whole idea that anyone can be convicted of a felony is ridiculous.

Like I said if the federal law that prohibits felons from owning gins is found to be unconstitutional so be it. But I have to wonder why that law hasn't been challenged yet.

They can't unless they lie on their 4473 like Hunter. Read section 11b Lying may not work if the felony was reported to FBI/NICS as it was supposed to be.

Form_4473_Revised_April_2012_page_1-568x735-760x507.png
Pretty hard to lie about being a convicted felon when the NICS will show that you have been convicted

Never had an issue.

It also costs money.

Like I said if the federal law that prohibits felons from owning gins is found to be unconstitutional so be it. But I have to wonder why that law hasn't been challenged yet.
Government is nothing but organized crime.

I don't need to hear their opinion about who should and should not have rights.

Never had an issue.

It also costs money.

As far as I'm concerned a piece of shit who victimizes or harms another and is convicted of a felony for it voluntarily gives up his rights.

Like everything else being a fucking piece of shit criminal is a choice and choices have consequences.

Never had an issue.

It also costs money.

As far as I'm concerned a piece of shit who victimizes or harms another and is convicted of a felony for it voluntarily gives up his rights.

Like everything else being a fucking piece of shit criminal is a choice and choices have consequences.
You're confusing "criminal" with "predator". And the biggest and most harmful "piece of shit criminals", the ones who are the most dangerous, that I have encountered in a lifetime of violent living, have all been the guys who seek positions of authority from which to do their dirt. Politicians, cops, and high ranking military...... many of them are the worst humans around and people thank them for their service. :rolleyes: They choose those positions specifically to shield themselves from "consequences".
Why do you think so many people in positions of power and authority turn out to be pedos, sexual predators, and wife-beaters?
But try to defend yourself from a stalker/rapist cop or a psychopathic CO or 1st SGT when you're military, and you're going to find out real quick what rights matter and which don't.

There are a lot of different creatures in the wild, and not all of them want to hunt and eat you, okay? Some just want to be left alone.
So don't run around think they're all equivalent.

I'm an Outlaw, a practicing felon. I break the Man's laws every damn day....... but I'm not fucking with you and I'm not hurting anyone, and I expect you to leave me and my affairs alone.

Wrong.

So you are saying that some stupid Moon Bat judge can deprive us of our Constitutional rights just by farting something out his/her ass?

I don't think so.

Colt Roots DID have serial numbers. You just have to know where to look for them.

root.jpg

• Model 2 Serial #20449 (Serial Number Range 476-25000).
  • 3 1/2" Octagonal Barrel, .28 Caliber 5 shot cylinder percussion.
  • Known as the "Root" after Colt designer Elisha K. Root.
  • Production of the Colt "Root" Models began in 1855 and ended in 1870.

Forum List

Back