Power the U.S. With Solar Panels!

Our current energy grid is based 100% on AC transmission. Solar and wind produce DC power most efficiently.

You already went into that. There is some energy loss in converting DC into AC. But it isn't that big of a problem.

You little chickenshit Environmental Wackos bitch about fossil fuels but you little turds never live up to your convictions.

If you really believe that silly horseshit you would do the right thing and disconnect from the fossil fuel/nuclear grid.

Go get yourself a solar powered car. Have fun this winter freezing your Moon Bat ass off.

How often do I have to say it for it to sink in for you. Anything I personally did wouldn't make a damn bit of difference. Just like recycling. Which is a BS propaganda ploy put out by the plastics industry to enable them to keep doing the crap they do. Change can't be done by one person. Or a small group of people. It is something that the society on the whole must do. (Whether or not they like it) You know, in Germany they have gone into solar in a big way. And they don't get as much sunlight as we do. And they're making it work. Just like them damn Nazis. With that always being right and stuff.

"Let the Bastards freeze in the dark"

-- Admiral Hyman J. Rickover --- founder of the US Nuclear Navy referring to anti-nuclear environmentalists.

Just how long before Chernobyl was that.

The annual output of Tesla’s Gigafactory, the world’s largest battery factory, could store three minutes’ worth of annual U.S. electricity demand. It would require 1,000 years of production to make enough batteries for two days’ worth of U.S. electricity demand. Meanwhile, 50–100 pounds of materials are mined, moved, and processed for every pound of battery produced.
R-0319-MM-img2.jpg

How much money does Elon Musk have compared to you. So what are your ideas compared to his. There are also ways to store excess energy that I told others about. Heating sodium in large tanks. Which could then be used to turn water into steam. Capacitors could also be used. They might even be feasible for powering electric cars instead of using batteries. Energy could also be used to speed up a large perfectly balanced disk. That energy could then be drawn off to create electricity.

Just how long before Chernobyl was that.
You are a coward, an ignorant mouth, spewing garbage, you cant support, and when called out, you run away from your comments, you are not man, or woman? enough to admit you are wrong.
How does one describe those like you, without demeaning trolls lunatics or imbeciles.

That square is way too large. A 100 by 100 mile square would do. However, no one is going to do that, what will happen is that we will convert a lot of land to agrivoltaics, giving the farmer a second income, and conserving water in the process, as well as increasing his yield. And there will be in increasing adaptation of VPP's incorporating people roofs, mercantile and industrial parking lots, and mall and industrial roofs. The following article does not include the reduction of that area by the VPP's or agrivoltaics.

Is that the final number for miles of solar?​

There are a couple of things that reduce these numbers a bit. For one thing, the NREL report on land usage is conservative in that solar panel efficiency has improved since the report was published.

Those numbers were based on 13 to 14 percent efficiency for solar modules. Now, in 2019, just six years later, solar panels on average have efficiency numbers between 15 to 18 percent. In fact, many solar panels are now available at 20 percent efficiency for commercial or utility solar sites.

This alone will reduce the number of solar panels needed and the required land mass to host those solar panels.

Secondly, the entire power load won’t depend entirely on big solar farms. Homeowners installing their own solar panels on rooftops could make up to about 34 percent of this electricity need.

With these things in mind, we can adjust our estimate from 22,000 square miles to just about 10,000 square miles. This is the number Elon Musk talked about at the National Governors Association meeting, referring to the space needed as taking up “a fairly small corner of Nevada or Texas or Utah.”

Elktra posted a link you can click on in post #7 that you should check out. It is where I got the image I posted. Next, with "agrivoltaics," I take it you are referring to that stupidity of crowing crops to make fuel. What a waste. Neither do I see how it could possibly conserve water or increase yields. As for VPP's, I don't even know what they are. Enlighten me.

Batteries wear out and are expensive and are polluting to produce and dispose of. What would work better than batteries is a closed gravity fed hydraulic system. During the day use the excess electricity to pump water, or some other fluid, like hydraulic fluid, up to a high elevation. At night, or in bad weather, release it to flow downhill and turn turbines to produce power. Rinse, wash and repeat. With a closed system fluid losses would be minimal to non-existent. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would reduce the need for fossil fueled generators to backup solar or wind fields at low production times.

LOL You silly ass. Yes, of course you do. But the power to pump the water up is power that would be wasted. The problem with both wind and solar is that it produces power, no matter what the demand or lack thereof. So you use that excess power to pump the water up the hill, and use it flowing back down when you need more power. I feel like I am lecturing a kindergartener.
Wasted right.

And tell me just how many gallons of water would need to be pumped up to provide 12 hours of power ?

Batteries wear out and are expensive and are polluting to produce and dispose of. What would work better than batteries is a closed gravity fed hydraulic system. During the day use the excess electricity to pump water, or some other fluid, like hydraulic fluid, up to a high elevation. At night, or in bad weather, release it to flow downhill and turn turbines to produce power. Rinse, wash and repeat. With a closed system fluid losses would be minimal to non-existent. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would reduce the need for fossil fueled generators to backup solar or wind fields at low production times.
It is called pumped hydro. Works really great where you have the elevation difference to make it work. However, it does not have the response time of the big batteries. So, working in tandem with the batteries, it is an ideal solution where applicable. Also, pumped hydro has to have the right geology, also, and is not that scalable, whereas the batteries are wonderfully scalable. From the tiny batteries that power hearing aids to hundreds of MW batteries for wind and solar.

Elktra posted a link you can click on in post #7 that you should check out. It is where I got the image I posted. Next, with "agrivoltaics," I take it you are referring to that stupidity of crowing crops to make fuel. What a waste. Neither do I see how it could possibly conserve water or increase yields. As for VPP's, I don't even know what they are. Enlighten me.
Agrivoltaics;

You are a coward, an ignorant mouth, spewing garbage, you cant support, and when called out, you run away from your comments, you are not man, or woman? enough to admit you are wrong.
How does one describe those like you, without demeaning trolls lunatics or imbeciles.
Oh my, Mrs. Elektra is getting her ass kicked.

Forum List

Back