Power the U.S. With Solar Panels!

Batteries wear out and are expensive and are polluting to produce and dispose of. What would work better than batteries is a closed gravity fed hydraulic system. During the day use the excess electricity to pump water, or some other fluid, like hydraulic fluid, up to a high elevation. At night, or in bad weather, release it to flow downhill and turn turbines to produce power. Rinse, wash and repeat. With a closed system fluid losses would be minimal to non-existent. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would reduce the need for fossil fueled generators to backup solar or wind fields at low production times.

Batteries aren't perfect. That's why I brought up other alternatives. Capacitors, a large perfectly balanced spinning disk and for large systems, heated sodium to create steam. Pumping water to a higher elevation would work too. There is only one major drawback to using solar energy. An EMP pulse would probably fry out every solar panel. I have heard that one nuclear device exploded about 100 miles above say the East Coast would fry most of the electronics along the entire East Coast. Solar panels could probably be shielded with a grounded metal screen. It might make them a little less efficient. But it would be better than having them easily destroyed.

Solar destroys the earth and will cost us $67 trillion or more.

That kind of money does not exist

So you say. But human caused global warming will surely destroy the earth. As for what Solar would cost, at one time Egypt was able to build some pretty impressive pyramids. China was able to build a really impressive Great Wall. In adjusted wealth, I wonder what either of those civilizations paid to create their great works would compare to what it would cost us to go solar. Probably nothing nearly as much. Not even close. Here is another point on what it would cost us. People would have to pay very little to nothing to drive their cars. (If they are electric) They wouldn't need to pay to heat their homes in winter or cool them in summer. That would save us quite a lot.

Agrivoltaics;

I hate to be a bummer. But agrivoltaics is a bad idea. Because plants need sunlight. Any light hitting a solar panel would be light that the plants aren't getting. Now on the other hand, I have heard that there are enough paved roads in the U.S. to where the total area of that pavement would be equal to the size of West Virginia. If we covered around half of our highways with solar panels, that alone would probably be enough to power the U.S. For both day and night of course. We wouldn't need that 140 mile per side square of solar panels out in the desert areas to do it. As is shown in this graph.

Solar to power the U.S..png

you are a coward and liar, now.

No response when I call you out on the destruction you have proposed.
No response when I point at the life in the desert you dont give a shit about.

Yes, you posted twice, ignoring my comments.

You can post anything but garbage, and the garbage you propose kills the earth, kills plants and animals. Industrializes the very remote wilderness that is the west.

Yes you ran, you lousy lying coward. Very easy to pontificate your high values, while maintaining your ignorance sitting on your couch enjoying all you claim destroys, while you have not the eduction to design, engineer, nor build what you propose.

"If" you posted something that I didn't comment on, it was no doubt because what you posted was too stupid to comment on. Solar panels wouldn't cause any sort of destruction. Except for helping toward the destruction of human caused global warming. As for deserts, they aren't worth a damn. I saw once something along the lines that forest supports around 10,000 more lifeforms than desert areas do. So what now on that last fact. Do you want me to look up exact figures to waste more time on?

So you say. But human caused global warming will surely destroy the earth. As for what Solar would cost, at one time Egypt was able to build some pretty impressive pyramids. China was able to build a really impressive Great Wall. In adjusted wealth, I wonder what either of those civilizations paid to create their great works would compare to what it would cost us to go solar. Probably nothing nearly as much. Not even close. Here is another point on what it would cost us. People would have to pay very little to nothing to drive their cars. (If they are electric) They wouldn't need to pay to heat their homes in winter or cool them in summer. That would save us quite a lot.
you dont know your ass from a hole in the ground

Even the politicians and industry state it will cost $100 trillion.

either way, solar raises the temperature of the earth, kills the land, and all the wildlife, for 22,000 square miles

How is it "working"?

Besides causing them to pay triple what we do.........

I guess it depends on which website you look at. In my browser I entered this. "What are German electric bills compared to U.S. electric bills." At the top of the list was a website that said this. "German power bills are low compared to US average." Within the article for that website it says that Germans only pay around $92.00 dollars a month for electricity - compared to the US average of $110.00 dollars.

"If" you posted something that I didn't comment on, it was no doubt because what you posted was too stupid to comment on. Solar panels wouldn't cause any sort of destruction. Except for helping toward the destruction of human caused global warming. As for deserts, they aren't worth a damn. I saw once something along the lines that forest supports around 10,000 more lifeforms than desert areas do. So what now on that last fact. Do you want me to look up exact figures to waste more time on?
bullshit, you are a filthy lying scumbag.

you have not posted one fact yet

I guess it depends on which website you look at. In my browser I entered this. "What are German electric bills compared to U.S. electric bills." At the top of the list was a website that said this. "German power bills are low compared to US average." Within the article for that website it says that Germans only pay around $92.00 dollars a month for electricity - compared to the US average of $110.00 dollars.
more lies, thank you

either way, solar raises the temperature of the earth, kills the land, and all the wildlife, for 22,000 square miles

The last people I would listen to are politicians and industry. You know, the kinds of people who paid $10,000 dollars for a toilet seat cover for a B-52, $435.00 dollars for a claw hammer, $436.00 for a sledge hammer, $437.00 for a 12 foot measuring tape, etc. Next, solar panels wouldn't create any more heat from the sun hitting them than it would if it hit the ground.

The last people I would listen to are politicians and industry. You know, the kinds of people who paid $10,000 dollars for a toilet seat cover for a B-52, $435.00 dollars for a claw hammer, $436.00 for a sledge hammer, $437.00 for a 12 foot measuring tape, etc. Next, solar panels wouldn't create any more heat from the sun hitting them than it would if it hit the ground.
The last people you will listen to is the solar industry?

Solar panels will create more heat, scientists study and report it. You really are a stupid individual.

You are too stupid to talk to. Go away.
you are a moron, you cant back up one bit of your opinion

solar panels do not create hot spots, a solar farm does not raise the temperature of the surrounding area? Ha, ha, ha, yes you are a moron

Scientists say solar does raise the temperature.
SanDiegoCounty.gov hotter than surrounding areacontent/dam/sdc/pds/ceqa/JVR/PreBoard/Comments/Global Response 2 - Heat Island Final.pdf

The normal operating temperature for PV panels is approximately 20 degrees Celsius (°C) 1 above ambient temperature; therefore, on a typical summer day at 40°C (104 degrees Fahrenheit (°F)), the panel temperature would be approximately 60°C (140°F). When accounting for irradiance (a measure of solar radiation energy received on a given surface area in a given time), wind, and PV panel type, it is expected that the peak PV panel temperatures in the summer would be between
65°C and 70°C (149°F and 158°F), a

What are German electric bills compared to U.S. electric bills." At the top of the list was a website that said this. "German power bills are low compared to US average."

Look what I found at your silly link.........

While Americans pay on average around 12 cents per kilowatt-hour of electricity, Germans easily pay twice as much.

It also says, that germans use 33% less power, and that they are stating that is why germans pay less, while paying more per kilowatt.

So tell us, are you dumb, or a liar. There is much more in the article than you paraphrased, poorly.

Look what I found at your silly link.........

While Americans pay on average around 12 cents per kilowatt-hour of electricity, Germans easily pay twice as much.

Yes, it did say that. But lower down, it said differently, as I mentioned. Though I think the reason they gave was because Germans use less electricity that people in the U.S. do. But however you want to slice it, solar panels work. If they didn't, Germany wouldn't use so many of them. Like it or not, the energy that comes from solar panels is free. You have to pay money to buy coal, oil or natural gas.

you are a moron, you cant back up one bit of your opinion

solar panels do not create hot spots, a solar farm does not raise the temperature of the surrounding area? Ha, ha, ha, yes you are a moron

Scientists say solar does raise the temperature.
SanDiegoCounty.gov hotter than surrounding areacontent/dam/sdc/pds/ceqa/JVR/PreBoard/Comments/Global Response 2 - Heat Island Final.pdf

The normal operating temperature for PV panels is approximately 20 degrees Celsius (°C) 1 above ambient temperature; therefore, on a typical summer day at 40°C (104 degrees Fahrenheit (°F)), the panel temperature would be approximately 60°C (140°F). When accounting for irradiance (a measure of solar radiation energy received on a given surface area in a given time), wind, and PV panel type, it is expected that the peak PV panel temperatures in the summer would be between
65°C and 70°C (149°F and 158°F), a

First of all, you suck. Next, maybe what they need to do is give the solar panels a little air flow to keep the heat from building up inside them. Though however hot they get, they won't create as much heat as CO2 is creating. Also, I saw a thing on TV once about a form of farming they do in Spain. They showed a desert area that had vast stretches of light colored tarps covering the ground. This reflected much of the sunlight away. But let in enough light in to grow crops. It caused a cooling effect in the area. Maybe they need to do the same thing with solar panels. Give their surfaces a bit of a translucent milky white coating to reflect a little of the light away. While allowing enough light through for the solar panels to do their thing.

You are such a lying dumb fuck, Mrs. Elektra. No, even now it would not take 23,000 square miles, only 10,000 square miles. And using solar to cover canals would help cool the panels, and there would be less evaporation from the canals. Agri-voltaics will also contribute to far less need for large solar farms, increase yield on the farms, conserve water, improve the efficiency of the panels, and give the farmers a year round income. Even without these uses, a square 100 miles by 100 miles would do the job.

"Secondly, the entire power load won’t depend entirely on big solar farms. Homeowners installing their own solar panels on rooftops could make up to about 34 percent of this electricity need.

With these things in mind, we can adjust our estimate from 22,000 square miles to just about 10,000 square miles. This is the number Elon Musk talked about at the National Governors Association meeting, referring to the space needed as taking up “a fairly small corner of Nevada or Texas or Utah.”

While having our nation powered by solar might not be as neat and tidy as that, it’s great to know that it’s absolutely possible to reach that renewable energy goal one day, especially with the advent of solar backup batteries to take care of the intermittency of solar."

Forum List

Back