Power the U.S. With Solar Panels!

You mean like carbon fibers?

You do know that most of the new tech crap you use to control your life was written in SIFI 60 years ago?

I'm not discussing new tech or sifi but existing tech and the political will to implement it.

You mean like carbon fibers?

"Sure, it takes near-magical technology: the tensile strength of the scrith floor is about that of an atomic nucleus"
-
Larry Niven

Yes, it did say that. But lower down, it said differently, as I mentioned. Though I think the reason they gave was because Germans use less electricity that people in the U.S. do. But however you want to slice it, solar panels work. If they didn't, Germany wouldn't use so many of them. Like it or not, the energy that comes from solar panels is free. You have to pay money to buy coal, oil or natural gas.

Yes, it did say that. But lower down, it said differently, as I mentioned.

It doesn't say differently.

I said they pay triple what we do. Because they do.

because Germans use less electricity that people in the U.S. do.

No kidding. It's so expensive, retired people can't afford power and food.

Like it or not, the energy that comes from solar panels is free.

If only the panels were free........durr.

And just what is it with you that you are incapable of reading articles or listening to videos with a least a little comprehension?
For one pumped water is one of the most inefficient power supply schemes ever thought up so why waste time on something that is not only very expensive but also untenable?

We will never be able to power the country with windmills and batteries.

Look what I found at your silly link.........

While Americans pay on average around 12 cents per kilowatt-hour of electricity, Germans easily pay twice as much.

It says in one part that Germans pay twice as much for electricity. But lower down it says that Americans pay more. Choose your poison. But for any energy Germany is getting from solar panels, they aren't paying for or burning fossil fuels to get that energy. I would call that a good thing.

It also says, that germans use 33% less power, and that they are stating that is why germans pay less, while paying more per kilowatt.

So tell us, are you dumb, or a liar. There is much more in the article than you paraphrased, poorly.

Maybe the reason they are using less power is because they are are getting more energy from solar. Which is, so to speak, off the books. It also said in that article that Germans on average have more washing machines than Americans do. But far fewer dryers. That doesn't make much sense. Unless they are really into using clotheslines to dry their clothes.

Maybe the reason they are using less power is because they are are getting more energy from solar. Which is, so to speak, off the books. It also said in that article that Germans on average have more washing machines than Americans do. But far fewer dryers. That doesn't make much sense. Unless they are really into using clotheslines to dry their clothes.
Typical European homes are half the size as ours.

Wrong. Not triple. Double is closer to it. And that is probably why they are going with solar panels. Because electricity is so expensive. As for quality of life, the U.S. is basically a third world country when compared to Germany.
Next, if the U.S. wanted to, it could produce solar panels and any other equipment needed for cost. You know, like the Egyptians probably built their pyramids. For cost. Or how the Chinese built their Great Wall. For cost. No profit involved. And provide those solar panels to the Americas for free. Along with maintaining them. Coal companies wouldn't like it. Oil companies wouldn't like it. Those who are into nuclear energy wouldn't like it. But the pocketbooks of the American people would love it. Trouble is, coal and oil companies have a lot of money to elect the politicians they want.

Typical European homes are half the size as ours.

I don't know. I've never been there. But I was watching a Michael Moore documentary once. I think it was "Sicko." Where it promoted universal health care. In it they showed a doctor in France. He drove a nice car. And lived in a nice apartment. But in their kitchen their refrigerator was only about half the size of the ones we use here in the U.S. Though I'm sure they could have afforded a larger one. Maybe they figured they just didn't need one. Or maybe they just ate out a lot.

Maybe the reason they are using less power is because they are are getting more energy from solar.

Solar power is magic? You don't need as much solar to surf the web? DURR

But far fewer dryers. That doesn't make much sense. Unless they are really into using clotheslines to dry their clothes.

If your power was tripled in price, you'd probably have to use clotheslines.

Wrong. Not triple. Double is closer to it. And that is probably why they are going with solar panels. Because electricity is so expensive. As for quality of life, the U.S. is basically a third world country when compared to Germany.
Next, if the U.S. wanted to, it could produce solar panels and any other equipment needed for cost. You know, like the Egyptians probably built their pyramids. For cost. Or how the Chinese built their Great Wall. For cost. No profit involved. And provide those solar panels to the Americas for free. Along with maintaining them. Coal companies wouldn't like it. Oil companies wouldn't like it. Those who are into nuclear energy wouldn't like it. But the pocketbooks of the American people would love it. Trouble is, coal and oil companies have a lot of money to elect the politicians they want.

Wrong. Not triple. Double is closer to it.

1631663409116.png

Germany, 0.3006 Euro per KWh. About 35.5 cents

US, 13.85 cents.

35.5 / 13.85 = 2.56

Closer to triple.

Your meaning eludes.

You mentioned Ringworld. The Ringworld was built of scrith.

They are far less costly than coal or gas fired generation. Levelized Cost of Energy and of Storage

Actually there is a way to do this without all of that. Tesla and South Australia are building it right now.

Next, if the U.S. wanted to, it could produce solar panels and any other equipment needed for cost. You know, like the Egyptians probably built their pyramids. For cost. Or how the Chinese built their Great Wall. For cost. No profit involved.

Like Chernobyl........no profit, eh comrade?

Sure they are......that's why Germany pays triple.

View attachment 539357

But, wait, $29, $41 and $28 looks pretty cheap.
And those work when the wind is calm and after the Sun sets.
And no batteries needed.
That is the operating cost after the cost of building the plant is depreciated. The cost of wind and solar are include the building cost and the operating cost, as does the real cost for nuclear starting at $129 and as high as $198. And, since we have no nuclear waste storage yet, that cost, and it will be high, has not been included. The $41 for coal does not include the cost of transportation and storage. Include that and it is a low of $65 and a high of $159. On gas, the $28 is the assumed cost for the gas. Building and operating cost is a low of $44 and a high of $73.

And, of course, the price of coal, gas, and nuclear continue to climb, while the cost of wind and solar continue to decline;

1631669065271.png

Forum List

Back