No Solar Power/Electricity Tonight

Well, I can't imagine it. I consume 80 kWh per month: 2.6 kwh per day. The 2,500 USD solar panel kit is enough for me.
My laptop requires 40 watts and my lights 90 watts; I only turn them on from 6 pm to 10 pm.
Sure enough, the fridge is the energy hog of the house and is probably responsible for 60% of the electricity bill.
Sometimes I use a 40W fan in spring, but the bill doesn't vary much.
The way you get solar, is you call a company that evaluates your bill. They average your needs over the course of the year. These are facts.

200 amp service is standard in new homes. You need a minimum of 22,000 watts

A 40 watt fan? I doubt that, I bet it is at least 50 watts.

And then there are electric stoves and electric water heaters, a pump for water. Unless you are on city water and natural gas.

So, you arguing your unreasonably low power estimate against the nationwide average, for what reason.

They can also use solid materials: sand, and cement. But, granted, dams are usually cheaper.
Yes, dams are cheaper, they only cost over $10 billion dollars and another $50 billion in wind turbines and solar panels to power the pumps, to pump water.

There is not a more stupid idea, than using energy to move things like water, sand, and cement, so that you can get a little bit of power back, later.

600 watts of electricity a day? ... are you the dumbest person on this planet?
No, but I am a hell of a lot smarter than you if you think you have a refrigerator that uses less.

The ratings you quote, are for the hour, not the day. You have no idea what you are talking about. I am educating you, thank me.

Well, I can't imagine it. I consume 80 kWh per month: 2.6 kwh per day. The 2,500 USD solar panel kit is enough for me.
My laptop requires 40 watts and my lights 90 watts; I only turn them on from 6 pm to 10 pm.
Sure enough, the fridge is the energy hog of the house and is probably responsible for 60% of the electricity bill.
Sometimes I use a 40W fan in spring, but the bill doesn't vary much.
That is 40 watts per hour for your laptop

That is 90 watts per hour for your lights

That is 40 watts per hour for your fan

You left out your refrigerator, stove, washing machine, dryer, dishwater, hot water heater, pump for water, television, charging your phone.

Lights, most people can not see in the morning when it is dark, you left out turning on your lights in the morning.

Zero heat? Ever? Possible but very unlikely.

Further, we are talking about america, not some extreme hermit such as yourself.

The way you get solar, is you call a company that evaluates your bill. They average your needs over the course of the year. These are facts.

200 amp service is standard in new homes. You need a minimum of 22,000 watts

A 40 watt fan? I doubt that, I bet it is at least 50 watts.

And then there are electric stoves and electric water heaters, a pump for water. Unless you are on city water and natural gas.

So, you arguing your unreasonably low power estimate against the nationwide average, for what reason.
I argued small locations ( 10,000 or lesss households) that are far from the main grid can cover their needs with solar. Even when solar panels can't become the backbone... Of course , Alaska along with all the northern states are discarded from this scenario there's not enough sunshine.

I argued small locations ( 10,000 or lesss households) that are far from the main grid can cover their needs with solar. Even when solar panels can't become the backbone... Of course , Alaska along with all the northern states are discarded from this scenario there's not enough sunshine.
sure, but it is a made up scenario, and you have zero proof that 10,000 homes can provide there needs with solar, anywhere

No, but I am a hell of a lot smarter than you if you think you have a refrigerator that uses less.

The ratings you quote, are for the hour, not the day. You have no idea what you are talking about. I am educating you, thank me.
1707243635125.png

Yes, probably when the compressor starts it requires 600 watts of power, yes, probably more. Once it finishes it uses no electricity for one hour or so.
Watt = Joules / second... 600 Watts of electricity a day is complete nonsense -not a smart comment.
Watt is a measure of power not of energy. Kwhs are a measure of energy.
Now if you want to know how much energy per day my fridge consumes: 1.1 kwh per day. With no batteries the solar panels would have to supply 600 or 1,000 watts of power, but that's why batteries are needed: to compensate for the power peaks.
As long as the battery pack can supply the power, 2 solar panels should be enough.

Watt is a measure of power not of energy. Kwhs are a measure of energy.
watts, and kwh, are both the same thing, wattage, power, or energy

You stated you use 600 watts, you implied that was per day, not hour.

All appliances, are rated by the hour. If you say your fan runs at 40 watts (which is too low), you are referring to the specs written by the manufacturer, which is hours.

40 watts is the same as .04 kwh, stating kwh does not change power into energy, they are the same thing when refering to wattage.

That is easy as PIE, get it, PIE, I doubt you do but you can explain what I just stated if you think you are up to it.

I never said watts a day.. that was you and it is so silly, you are not smart, you are just full of yourself.
What I stated was exactly what you specifically said, I even quoted you, as I am again. I agree, it was silly, which makes me right and you full of yourself.

Read it in the quote or follow the link to your post, your comment is exactly as I stated and quoted.
I can cover my daily usage with 600 watts of power

No such thing as a gravity battery, they are called dams

Dams, and pumped hydro is the most expensive form of electricity, period.

It is amazing the willful ignorance or the outright lying, or pure stupidity of those who call dams, gravity batteries.
Rail car gravity batteries. Same principle as pumped storage but way cheaper. No need to build reservoirs, no need for water. Just need a hill and dirt to fill the rail cars with , motor/generator and cable to pull it up the hill and lower it to generate power.

Rail car gravity batteries. Same principle as pumped storage but way cheaper. No need to build reservoirs, no need for water. Just need a hill and dirt to fill the rail cars with , motor/generator and cable to pull it up the hill and lower it to generate power.
which will produce less power than it takes to pull them up the hill

which will require over-building, 1,000's of square miles of solar panels

which will be extremely expensive

which will produce less power than it takes to pull them up the hill

which will require over-building, 1,000's of square miles of solar panels

which will be extremely expensive
Will produce as much power as used to move the rail car up slope, less the affects of friction, the same as pumped hydro
We're already building thousands of s.f. of PV.
Rail car gravity batteries use off the shelf lo-tech components. No toxic or exotic materials. Adaptable to different sites. Far cheaper than pumped hydro and no water needed. Total reliability, doesn't lose capacity over time.

Will produce as much power as used to move the rail car up slope, less the affects of friction, the same as pumped hydro
We're already building thousands of s.f. of PV.
Rail car gravity batteries use off the shelf lo-tech components. No toxic or exotic materials. Adaptable to different sites. Far cheaper than pumped hydro and no water needed. Total reliability, doesn't lose capacity over time.
Sorry, it will always produce less. Much less. Honestly, I have not heard of many ideas that are dumber.

I believe that sooner or later we will develop sophisticated means of storing solar power. It's energy directly from the sun. I find it hard to believe that ultimately the capturing of direct sunlight will prove to be less efficient than combusting ancient bio goo that originally got its energy from the sun as well. It doesn't make any sense. With the advancement of technology solar will prove to be far more efficient. I strongly believe that.

Get back to us when it actually works

I believe that sooner or later we will develop sophisticated means of storing solar power. It's energy directly from the sun. I find it hard to believe that ultimately the capturing of direct sunlight will prove to be less efficient than combusting ancient bio goo that originally got its energy from the sun as well. It doesn't make any sense. With the advancement of technology solar will prove to be far more efficient. I strongly believe that.
Then wait until we get to that point before forcing it on people and causing hardships. Like outlawing horses before the advent of automobiles.
The entire movement is about controlling the people anyway and energy is just opportunity.
If solar ever becomes practical and reliable, democrats would demonize it and restrict its use and availability, claiming global cooling from sun depletion or some such nonsense.

Then wait until we get to that point before forcing it on people and causing hardships. Like outlawing horses before the advent of automobiles.
The entire movement is about controlling the people anyway and energy is just opportunity.
If solar ever becomes practical and reliable, democrats would demonize it and restrict its use and availability, claiming global cooling from sun depletion or some such nonsense.
currently, solar panels are a product of the fossil fuel industry

renewables, green energy, whatever anyone calls it, is nothing but using more fossil fuel, by Heavy Industry, to manufacture on a scale never seen in history.

Forum List

Back