Power the U.S. With Solar Panels!

How much will it cost when we destroy the world with human caused global warming. Also, I have mentioned here and there how much more cheaply workers in China can make things than we can here in the U.S. But I think that part of the reason they can do so as cheaply is that the government houses them. To whatever degree, feeds and cloths them. As well as educate them, etc. With that much of their living expenses being taken care of, it's no wonder that they can make things cheaper than us. So as far as solar panels here in the U.S. goes, it would basically cost as much as the government wanted to pay for them. If they depend on private capitalist industry to do the job, it will cost up the ass. And probably then some.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

More expensive, less reliable energy creates wealth?

How much wealth has been created by Germany with their expensive electricity?
LOL Gotta love idiots that post nonsense. Germany is a net exporter of electrical energy. So their 'expensive' electricity has created wealth for Germany.

FRANKFURT, Jan 4 (Reuters) - Germany saw its electricity export surplus shrink by 46.2% in 2020 to 18.9 terawatt hours (TWh), raising the prospect that its dependency on neighbours could rise in future as it switches off more coal and nuclear power stations, official data showed.

Power exports by Europe’s biggest economy, which shares borders with nine countries, fell 11.6% to 52.5 TWh last year compared with 59.4 TWh in 2019, the energy regulator, called the Bundesnetzagentur, said in a publication on Saturday.

Meanwhile, electricity imports into Germany in 2020 increased by 38.8% to 33.6 TWh, compared with 24.2 TWh in the prior year.

Then, if the share of episodic power becomes significant, the potential rises for complete system blackouts. That has happened twice after the wind died down unexpectedly (with some customers out for days in some areas) in the state of South Australia, which derives over 40% of its electricity from wind.
After a total system outage in South Australia in 2018, Tesla, with much media fanfare, installed the world’s single largest lithium battery “farm” on that grid. For context, to keep South Australia lit for one half-day of no wind would require 80 such “world’s biggest” Tesla battery farms, and that’s on a grid that serves just 2.5 million people.

And the results of that battery farm;

You are so full of shit. The purpose of the battery was never meant to replace the base load. It replaces gas peaker plants.

LOL Gotta love idiots that post nonsense. Germany is a net exporter of electrical energy. So their 'expensive' electricity has created wealth for Germany.

FRANKFURT, Jan 4 (Reuters) - Germany saw its electricity export surplus shrink by 46.2% in 2020 to 18.9 terawatt hours (TWh), raising the prospect that its dependency on neighbours could rise in future as it switches off more coal and nuclear power stations, official data showed.

Power exports by Europe’s biggest economy, which shares borders with nine countries, fell 11.6% to 52.5 TWh last year compared with 59.4 TWh in 2019, the energy regulator, called the Bundesnetzagentur, said in a publication on Saturday.

Meanwhile, electricity imports into Germany in 2020 increased by 38.8% to 33.6 TWh, compared with 24.2 TWh in the prior year.

Gotta love idiots that post nonsense.

Don't be so hard on yourself.

Germany is a net exporter of electrical energy.

They pay triple what we do for electricity.
Do you feel their exports somehow make their triple payment less painful?

If you pay $300, instead of $100, how much wealth was created for you?

Apparently at current technology, I will show you a picture of how many solar panels it would take to power the U.S. That is both day and night. (With the stored energy for nighttime) The square in yellow shows the total amount of area in solar panels it would take to do it. Argue with that you naysayers.

View attachment 538042
Where are you going to store the energy for use at night?

Apparently at current technology, I will show you a picture of how many solar panels it would take to power the U.S. That is both day and night. (With the stored energy for nighttime) The square in yellow shows the total amount of area in solar panels it would take to do it. Argue with that you naysayers.

View attachment 538042
Maybe if I covered my whole roof with solar panels I could recharge the battery for my burglar alarm. But then again, that's just more glass for the burglars to break and more equipment for them to steal.

Man, are you ever going to get beyond the 1950's? Ever hear of pumped hydro? A half dozen designs to use gravity. And many others are using existing technology.

The power needed to pump all that water up is more than the power you get back.

There is no such thing as a perpetual motion machine you know.

We can't destroy the world.

Yeah, we can do enough damage that we actually can. Not blow it into a new asteroid belt, but we can burn the atmosphere, and render the planet sterile.

There isn't enough time left for the solar system to regenerate an atmosphere and the life that would use it.

Yeah, we can do enough damage that we actually can. ....
Nope. We can fuck up our ability to maintain our current circumstances here, but the planet is much, much more than we can "destroy." I see no reason to try, but NO we cannot.

Yeah, we can do enough damage that we actually can. Not blow it into a new asteroid belt, but we can burn the atmosphere, and render the planet sterile.

There isn't enough time left for the solar system to regenerate an atmosphere and the life that would use it.
You're going to suffocate to death on marijuana if you don't stop sucking that stupid bong pipe.

Nope. We can fuck up our ability to maintain our current circumstances here, but the planet is much, much more than we can "destroy." I see no reason to try, but NO we cannot.

If we wanted to burn the atmosphere, we could. Just build a big enough Nuke. The Soviets, with their Tzar Bomba got a yield higher than they calculated because the atmosphere started to react with the bomb. So, yeah, if one of these loons decided they wanted to destroy the planet, they could make a real good effort at it.

If we wanted to burn the atmosphere, we could. Just build a big enough Nuke. The Soviets, with their Tzar Bomba got a yield higher than they calculated because the atmosphere started to react with the bomb. So, yeah, if one of these loons decided they wanted to destroy the planet, they could make a real good effort at it.
Loons? That's right. They're loonies. Are you saying the Canada has nukes already aimed on a hair trigger at strategic U.S. cities?

You just made the point that Germany is importing electricity. And at that it is increasing!
Old Crock makes a point, then posts proof he is wrong.
Now go ahead and explain your nonsense, you old idiot! Thanks for the laugh

Last edited:
The power needed to pump all that water up is more than the power you get back.

There is no such thing as a perpetual motion machine you know.
LOL You silly ass. Yes, of course you do. But the power to pump the water up is power that would be wasted. The problem with both wind and solar is that it produces power, no matter what the demand or lack thereof. So you use that excess power to pump the water up the hill, and use it flowing back down when you need more power. I feel like I am lecturing a kindergartener.

You just made the point that Germany is importing electricity. And at that it is increasing!
Old Crock makes a point, then posts proof he is wrong.
Now go ahead and explain your nonsense, you old idiot! Thanks for the laugh

Forum List

Back