Poll: Should SCOTUS override states' rights regarding when to stop counting ballots?

Should SCOTUS override states' rights regarding when to stop counting ballots?

• Total voters
WARNING: IT'S TOO LATE TO MAIL BALLOTS.

They must be hand delivered to an official drop box or directly to your respective county clerk's office.
Here in Indiana Yes, now you have to stand in line if you are here in Indiana. I casted my Vote on September 10th it has not been counted yet. Indiana will start Counting Votes Eastern Standard Time, which is New York time. I hand delivered my Ballot in person to the County Clerks Office, to avoid Donald Trumps Voter Suppression

Thank you!

Even if it takes days or weeks - all legal ballots should be counted.
Define "legal" in your comment.
Possibly postmark date ?
If not, then are you willing to allow for any length of time before a decision is made ?

Duh, "legal" means whatever the respective state election law says is "legal". It ain't rocket science...
So you keep avoiding this simple question.
How long are you willing to wait before a decision is made, no matter what state is counting ?
A week, month, year ?

Duh, the answer is whatever state law allows.
So your answer is yes, you are willing to wait any length of time, not knowing who the elected president is, regardless if that state says it will be months before they decide the count.
Your answer is YES, whatever the states law allows !!!
Do you see how you are grasping at straws that arent there ?
Because unlike you, true Americans are not going to wait that long.
We are not going to repeat the hanging chad saga.

Define "legal" in your comment.
Possibly postmark date ?
If not, then are you willing to allow for any length of time before a decision is made ?

Duh, "legal" means whatever the respective state election law says is "legal". It ain't rocket science...
So you keep avoiding this simple question.
How long are you willing to wait before a decision is made, no matter what state is counting ?
A week, month, year ?

Duh, the answer is whatever state law allows.
So your answer is yes, you are willing to wait any length of time, not knowing who the elected president is, regardless if that state says it will be months before they decide the count.
Your answer is YES, whatever the states law allows !!!
Do you see how you are grasping at straws that arent there ?
Because unlike you, true Americans are not going to wait that long.
We are not going to repeat the hanging chad saga.

YES! Damn, I'm glad you finally got it. BTW, which states allow MONTHS to count ballots?

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court will allow absentee ballots in North Carolina to be received and counted up to nine days after Election Day, in a win for Democrats.

The justices, by a 5-3 vote Wednesday, refused to disturb a decision by the State Board of Elections to lengthen the period from three to nine days because of the coronavirus pandemic, pushing back the deadline to Nov. 12. The board’s decision was part of a legal settlement with a union-affiliated group.

Republicans had asked the high court to step in.

SCOTUS Allows North Carolina To Receive Absentee Ballots After Election Day

Good news! I'm pleasantly surprised.

I'd vote, but you're missing the only correct answer:

"States should be forced to obey their own laws."

Which states are not obeying their election laws?
The ones where Democrats decided to violate their state election laws. PA comes to mind.

Proof? Link?
Indiana say's the Electors have to Vote with the Majority of the Vote, The majority will win Indiana, They made it law you have to give the majority the Vote. no changing it.
Meaning the Electors cannot Throw the Decision, all Electors have to go with the Majority.

December 12 is the deadline for the State legislature to determine who will be awarded their State's Electors.

For all 50 states, DC and territories?
Yes, yes, and Territories have no ECV. It's a date that changes with each year's calendar, but in 2000, yes, that was the deadline.

Also: 28 U.S.C. § 1257:
Final judgments or decrees rendered by the highest court of a State in which a decision could be had, may be reviewed by the Supreme Court by writ of certiorari where the validity of a treaty or statute of the United States is drawn in question or where the validity of a statute of any State is drawn in question on the ground of its being repugnant to the Constitution, treaties, or laws of the United States ...
If you dislike this law, you should inform your legislators that you want it changed.

December 12 is the deadline for the State legislature to determine who will be awarded their State's Electors.

Yes, yes, and Territories have no ECV. It's a date that changes with each year's calendar, but in 2000, yes, that was the deadline.

Final judgments or decrees rendered by the highest court of a State in which a decision could be had, may be reviewed by the Supreme Court by writ of certiorari where the validity of a treaty or statute of the United States is drawn in question or where the validity of a statute of any State is drawn in question on the ground of its being repugnant to the Constitution, treaties, or laws of the United States ...
If you dislike this law, you should inform your legislators that you want it changed.

December 12 seems reasonable.

Judge orders USPS to reverse mail collection limits immediately.

Just reported on Rachel Maddow.

However, it's too late to trust the mail.

I feel very strongly that SCOTUS should not tell states when to stop counting their ballots - especially in the middle of a pandemic - and a presidential election. That should be totally left up to the states and their respective election laws. I think this is something that both Democrats and Republicans should be able to agree on. What do you think?
The REQUIREMENT to have the tally in by a set date is FEDERAL NOT State.

If I remember the formula correctly, it's Dec 8th this year.

Remember, the Electoral College has a series of steps, first by the States and then by Congress that must produce a winner by inauguration day, Jan 20, and there is a time period set aside for each group with sufficient time to settle any issues or controversies.

So, we vote the first week of November, and then (if I recall correctly) by 6 days prior to the first Monday after the second Wednesday, the Electoral Slate must be settled by the State Legislature.

I feel very strongly that SCOTUS should not tell states when to stop counting their ballots - especially in the middle of a pandemic - and a presidential election. That should be totally left up to the states and their respective election laws. I think this is something that both Democrats and Republicans should be able to agree on. What do you think?
The time limit is written in law, Dummy.

There is a statute spelling out the deadline for electoral votes to be received by Congress.

The REQUIREMENT to have the tally in by a set date is FEDERAL NOT State.

You mean the approximate December 12 deadline for Electors?

If I remember the formula correctly, it's Dec 8th this year.

Remember, the Electoral College has a series of steps, first by the States and then by Congress that must produce a winner by inauguration day, Jan 20, and there is a time period set aside for each group with sufficient time to settle any issues or controversies.

So, we vote the first week of November, and then (if I recall correctly) by 6 days prior to the first Monday after the second Wednesday, the Electoral Slate must be settled by the State Legislature.

December 8 also seems reasonable. That gives states over four weeks to count ballots.

There is a statute spelling out the deadline for electoral votes to be received by Congress.

This thread isn't about EC votes. It's about counting ballots.

This thread isn't about EC votes. It's about counting ballots.
Wow! You really are stupid beyond belief. If you don't get the ballots counted, you can't submit the electoral votes to Congress, and there is a deadline to do that, according to law, Stupid.

Forum List

Back