Poll: Should SCOTUS override states' rights regarding when to stop counting ballots?

Should SCOTUS override states' rights regarding when to stop counting ballots?

• Total voters
I feel very strongly that SCOTUS should not tell states when to stop counting their ballots - especially in the middle of a pandemic - and a presidential election. That should be totally left up to the states and their respective election laws. I think this is something that both Democrats and Republicans should be able to agree on. What do you think?
Ugh, things have deadlines. Especially important things like this election. It would make sense for out SCOTUS to step in if need be. Branches of government, big guy.

And the deadline is having the ballot in possession of the postal service at midnight on the day of the election.

I feel very strongly that SCOTUS should not tell states when to stop counting their ballots - especially in the middle of a pandemic - and a presidential election. That should be totally left up to the states and their respective election laws. I think this is something that both Democrats and Republicans should be able to agree on. What do you think?

Of course you do....
All dems are in favor of all avenues that allow cheating.

Do you have something to add Dragonlady?

Hell no. States have ELECTION laws for a reason. We’ve already bent those with unsolicited mail in ballots sent en-masse, usually erroneously. If it takes you a freaking month to send some mail, then your vote shouldn’t be counted. There’s only ONE reason to want to allow this, that is so dem operatives can magically send in the amount of ballots required to win once results come in. It’s so fucking obvious. I’m not playing this fucking game. Actors in state across state have already been caught in a multitude of voter fraud. ALWAYS democrats. We see right through your games.

Anyway with the way the polls are trending, as god awful as they are, Biden wants this election to happen today. Rasmussen now has trump with a 1pt lead.

Trump’s Ballot-Counting Demand Would Disenfranchise Overseas Troops

States allow ballots from military personnel and diplomats to be counted as late as two weeks after Nov. 3, but Trump is insisting that all counting stop that night.

WASHINGTON ― The commander in chief who reportedly called U.S. troops “suckers” and “losers” is now pushing a ballot-counting policy that could disenfranchise tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of American service members who are voting from overseas.

President Donald Trump, in social media posts and remarks, is demanding that all ballots be counted by election night, even though federal law permits states to count ballots from troops stationed outside the United States, diplomats and other Americans abroad to have their ballots counted days later, as long as they were sent no later than Election Day.

TRUMP BALLOT-BLOCKING PUSH WOULD EVEN CUT OFF TROOPS!

This should concern all of us - regardless of political affiliation.

The Trump Court will not hesitate to violate states’ rights if such lawless interference benefits Republicans politically, or to otherwise violate the rights of states controlled by Democrats.

And the Trump Court will likewise not hesitate to interfere with states in this election if it means awarding the needed state – or states – to Trump to keep Trump in ofice, as occurred in 2000.

The Trump Court will not hesitate to violate states’ rights if such lawless interference benefits Republicans politically, or to otherwise violate the rights of states controlled by Democrats.

And the Trump Court will likewise not hesitate to interfere with states in this election if it means awarding the needed state – or states – to Trump to keep Trump in ofice, as occurred in 2000.

I totally agree! In fact, I believe some SCOTUS Justices have already indicated that they would interfere on behalf of Trump.

Thank you CrusaderFrank for being the first conservative to vote "Yes". Apparently states' rights aren't all that important to you.
You are for the
Under Article II of the U.S. Constitution the president and vice president are chosen by electors, under a constitutional grant of authority delegated to the legislatures of the several states. The Constitution reserves the choice of the precise manner for creating electors to the will of the state legislatures.

Should the Governor and/or the State Court usurp the power of the Legislature, the role of SCOTUS would be order that usurpation ceased.

Are you for the usurpation of Legislative power by a State Court or Governor?
I'm for the counting of all legal ballots according to respective state election laws. SCOTUS should not be involved.
If the State Court or even a Federal Court usurps the State Legislature in a FEDERAL Election, the State Legislature will have standing in Federal Court.

The Supreme Court has consistently rejected efforts by lower court judges to change election rules or extend deadlines in the run up to the election as such decisions are for state legislatures under the US Constitution.

Do you want the Court to ignore precedent and the US Constitution?

Thank you CrusaderFrank for being the first conservative to vote "Yes". Apparently states' rights aren't all that important to you.
You are for the
Under Article II of the U.S. Constitution the president and vice president are chosen by electors, under a constitutional grant of authority delegated to the legislatures of the several states. The Constitution reserves the choice of the precise manner for creating electors to the will of the state legislatures.

Should the Governor and/or the State Court usurp the power of the Legislature, the role of SCOTUS would be order that usurpation ceased.

Are you for the usurpation of Legislative power by a State Court or Governor?
I'm for the counting of all legal ballots according to respective state election laws. SCOTUS should not be involved.
If the State Court or even a Federal Court usurps the State Legislature in a FEDERAL Election, the State Legislature will have standing in Federal Court.

The Supreme Court has consistently rejected efforts by lower court judges to change election rules or extend deadlines in the run up to the election as such decisions are for state legislatures under the US Constitution.

Do you want the Court to ignore precedent and the US Constitution?

My point is that states' election laws should prevail. BTW, I don't know what point you've been trying to make. SCOTUS should not rule on any challenges to state election laws to stop counting ballots.

I voted no. As far as I know voting is a states rights issue. Not sure if there's a federal law that supercedes.
That being said, Pennsylvania where I live is going to be a democrat created shit show. Let the nation see what these insane leftists have done to the election process. It will only harm them in the long run.

I agree. Which is why the SC didn't.

Trump is counting on SCOTUS to tell states when to stop counting their ballots.
Correct.

And Trump will petition the Trump Court to intercede on his behalf in states he needs to win reelection, regardless the will of the people of those states.

Hence the reckless, irresponsible, and unwarranted rush to place Barrett on the Trump Court, to ensure a reliable vote in Trump’s favor.

Forum List

Back