Place in the USA that you enjoyed visiting.

Winco

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2019
Not necessarily where you live (but could be), but places you visited, passed through, had a short term visit too, or even places close to your home(s).

I have lived South of Fresno and I have lived in WA State, and I've spent lots of time in Nevada and Arizona and Oregon.

I have visited 26 States so far, hoping to hit them all.
Every one of them.
I'm missing the NE and most of the Midwest and Alaska.

Discuss places you really enjoyed.

Not necessarily where you live (but could be), but places you visited, passed through, had a short term visit too, or even places close to your home(s).

I have lived South of Fresno and I have lived in WA State, and I've spent lots of time in Nevada and Arizona and Oregon.

Every one of them.

Stone Mountain, GA

I'll start with OUR 30th Wedding Anniversary Trip/Family Reunion.

The Family reunion is HUGE,
Grandparents in Kansas in 1900.
They had 15 Children, from 1920-1945
Most of those had multiple Children by 1960's

Needless to say, the reunion often had 150+ participants, but only every 3 years, but in different locations throughout the USA.
Very religious family, so they often found Church Retreat Locations to hold the reunions. We stayed in dorms or cabins.

7 years ago the Reunion was near Asheville, NC.
Fabulous Time.
Discuss in future posts.

I lived in San Francisco when it was still beautiful. Jackson Wyoming and Tahoe Nevada are both beautiful places.

Every one of them.

Ft. Irwin, CA - dry fossil lake beds, coyotes howling at sundown, giant land tortoises, snowy valleys on top of desert mountains.

Ft. Hood, TX - javelina hunting, super bike riding, armadillos, fishing for alligator gar, going down to Galveston beach and Port Bolivar on the weekends, my ex-fiancée's family.

Ft. Benning, GA - seeing Terminator 2 on post twenty-eight times, tower and jump weeks, fishing in Savannah, Friar drop zone, I don't remember much else about off-post.

Ft. Leonard Wood, MO - well, I pretty much hated it to be honest.

Ft. Carson, CO - misty mountain hops, thin air, mountain bike rides, elk hunting, reunions with old friends, snow.

Ft. Lewis - what's not to love? Columbia river fishing, mountain hiking and orienteering, cool locals back in the 90's.

Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MD - lots and lots of kayak fishing where the Susquehanna meets the Chesapeake, shopping in White Marsh and Towson with my wife, proximity to my wife's family, Waffle House, excellent steamed shrimp and crabs, tons of good memories.

Ft. Detrick, MD - the Catoctin mountains, the (now defunct) Cozy Inn, friends in Westminster, fishing in Pretty Boy, easy drive to see the folks, driving out to Deep Creek.

Detroit, MI - exploring the city at night and old overgrown industrial complexes and other abandoned buildings, soaking in the architecture, the opera house, trips to Windsor, fishing the river raisin, fishing in eerie for pike, lots of snow.

Many others . . .

1641711906392.png

*****SMILE*****

:)

Ft. Irwin, CA - dry fossil lake beds, coyotes howling at sundown, giant land tortoises, snowy valleys on top of desert mountains.

Ft. Hood, TX - javelina hunting, super bike riding, armadillos, fishing for alligator gar, going down to Galveston beach and Port Bolivar on the weekends, my ex-fiancée's family.

Ft. Benning, GA - seeing Terminator 2 on post twenty-eight times, tower and jump weeks, fishing in Savannah, Friar drop zone, I don't remember much else about off-post.

Ft. Leonard Wood, MO - well, I pretty much hated it to be honest.

Ft. Carson, CO - misty mountain hops, thin air, mountain bike rides, elk hunting, reunions with old friends, snow.

Ft. Lewis - what's not to love? Columbia river fishing, mountain hiking and orienteering, cool locals back in the 90's.

Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MD - lots and lots of kayak fishing where the Susquehanna meets the Chesapeake, shopping in White Marsh and Towson with my wife, proximity to my wife's family, Waffle House, excellent steamed shrimp and crabs, tons of good memories.

Ft. Detrick, MD - the Catoctin mountains, the (now defunct) Cozy Inn, friends in Westminster, fishing in Pretty Boy, easy drive to see the folks, driving out to Deep Creek.

Detroit, MI - exploring the city at night and old overgrown industrial complexes and other abandoned buildings, soaking in the architecture, the opera house, trips to Windsor, fishing the river raisin, fishing in eerie for pike, lots of snow.

Many others . . .
Great answers.
You have served and protected our Nation.
Correct.
Thank You.

I know this about my area.

Thanks to Teddy Roosevelt and his cousin Franklin, the U.S. has many national parks worth visiting. Any one of them is worth a visit. I like the desert in and around the Canyonlands, myself, and the eastern side of the mountain range in Oregon and western Nevada as well. Never been east of the Mississippi much, but Stone Mountain is good, so is West Virginia and parts of eastern Pennsylvania. Upstate New York is nice, too.

Monument Valley. Spend some time in Kayenta and get to know some members of the tribe. They can take you on trails where tourists usually aren't allowed.
1641724392621.png

Forum List

Back