One of the best thing about being retired.

Flash

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2014
Florida
During my 30 year career as an Engineer it was always great to go home on Friday afternoon knowing I had two days off.

However, Sunday night was always a little depressing knowing I had to get up early and face a week of usually stressful work.

One of the best things about being retired is Sunday night knowing that I can do about anything I want on Monday. I can sleep late if I want. I can take it easy all day or I can do something fun if I want.

It is hell getting old but there are some perks.

During my 30 year career as an Engineer it was always great to go home on Friday afternoon knowing I had two days off.

However, Sunday night was always a little depressing knowing I had to get up early and face a week of usually stressful work.

One of the best things about being retired is Sunday night knowing that I can do about anything I want on Monday. I can sleep late if I want. I can take it easy all day or I can do something fun if I want.

I retired two years ago. I was an engineer too. If I knew this retirement gig was this good ten years ago, I would have tried it then! Maybe I'll drive out to the lake tomorrow and do a little fishing as the golf courses are closed.

I retired last year, also from engineering. Many of my retired friends took off for the ends of the Earth traveling. But like you, I enjoy putzing in the morning, getting a little exercise then golf or work on some project in the afternoon. I really don't want even want to play with my company golf club because those guys get up at O dark thirty and are raring to go for an 8 o'clock shotgun start! I know I'm being lazy but after 37 years, I think I've earned some lazy mornings.

Guess I've been retired too long because the best thing about it is not knowing or even caring what day it is.

I was an engineer at one time too.

In retirement, all days are the same. It's what you do with them.

Congrats on your retirement. I've been retired 3 years now, called it quits after 40 years as computer/systems analyst. Sunday nights are great, especially the first few months. I'd put the option of an afternoon nap high on my list along with sitting with the wife on the back porch drinking our morning coffee. Most days it doesn't seem like the day it is.

Mechanical engineer, retired early and don't do jack.
What's the deal with all the engineers here?? ... :dunno:
Environmental engineer here. I had projects with the US Navy so I spent my career traveling the globe. Everywhere we have or had a base, I was there. Travel has lost its appeal. I'd rather golf.

I was also an Environmental Engineer.

I retired from Lockheed Martin. I worked on some very interesting environmental projects including at Oak Ridge and Hanford.

I retired last year, also from engineering. Many of my retired friends took off for the ends of the Earth traveling. But like you, I enjoy putzing in the morning, getting a little exercise then golf or work on some project in the afternoon. I really don't want even want to play with my company golf club because those guys get up at O dark thirty and are raring to go for an 8 o'clock shotgun start! I know I'm being lazy but after 37 years, I think I've earned some lazy mornings.

We traveled the first year of retirement. After that we settled into a retirement routine but it didn't last too long. We got bored. I went back to work doing Engineering Consulting and my retired School teacher wife did private torturing.

When the grandchildren came we eased off on the work. Nowadays our retirement life is pretty much doing what we want and having fun with the grandkids.

I always hated mowing the lawn and doing yard work. (did too much of it as a kid) Now I hire a lawn service. Used to work on my cars. I had a giant tool box with thousands of dollars worth of tools. Now I just own a couple of screwdrivers and take my cars to a mechanic.
These days I'm all about spoiling my grandkids and driving their parents crazy. ... :thup: .. :lol: :lol:

I always hated mowing the lawn and doing yard work. (did too much of it as a kid) Now I hire a lawn service. Used to work on my cars. I had a giant tool box with thousands of dollars worth of tools. Now I just own a couple of screwdrivers and take my cars to a mechanic.
These days I'm all about spoiling my grandkids and driving their parents crazy. ... :thup: .. :lol: :lol:

I continue to do lawn work for the exercise but I think it sucks. I should do like you and hire somebody.

I stopped working on cars after the 1960s when they became too complicated.

I volunteered in a Summer music program last year to teach piano. Unfortunately with CV19 they may suspend the program this year but I'm still teaching my best student from last year privately. I think I'm going to resume in person lessons with him next week if his Mom is OK with it.

On year eight of retirement and I'm just now getting used to sleeping till 8:30.
I still wake up at 6:00 every morning. It doesn't matter if I go to bed early or stay up late.
I'd love to sleep in, but I guess 6:00 is ingrained into my DNA or something. ... :cool:

You'll eventually get past that.
I was used to waking up at 4:30 or 5:00 and as I said,it took me 8 years to totally get past the guilt of sleeping in.
Because that's what it was,guilt,it just felt wrong somehow.
I still usually get up around 6:00 because thats the best part of the day in my opinion.

Forum List

Back