Old Soda Pop from yesteryear....

Talking about something similar in a different thread got me thinking about old soda pop that is either no long sold or completely different....

Who has had this one....? Use to drink this back in the 70s. Similar to Mountain Dew, but not as sweet. Maybe closer to Mello Yello.

View attachment 484512

That appears to be a rip-off of Mountain Dew, which came out in 1955. Notice the 1965 on the bottle? My town had a Mt. Dew rip-off too back then, but I can't remember the name of it.
Kickapoo is still made, but limited. It was widely available in the late 70s, but lost to Mello Yello when it came out in 1979.

Discontinued last year.

320px-TaB_cans_from_the_1970s.jpg

It is really a shame.
The main driver for product makers in the past was to make the best product possible. The customer was the absolute focus.
Today, the main driver is paying dividends to shareholders, most importantly the board members and large holders. Making the best product is not even in focus, making a passable product as cheaply as possible with the longest shelf life as possible is the focus.
This is true across the entire food/drink industry.

7-Up Gold
circa 1988

View attachment 484538
Loved it!
interesting..... never heard of it

7-Up Gold was a tasty spiced-flavor drink, leaned a bit toward ginger ale. Unfortunately 7-Up Gold was a bit of a branding botch.

7-Up had stated that their drinks were crisp and clean with no caffeine, never had it, never will... and 7-Up Gold was a darker caffeinated drink. Could have been branded under the Dr. Pepper umbrella (and the formula was reportedly an unused Dr. Pepper invention).

The original Mr. Pibb prior to reformulation in the 1980s.
One of my favorite. So much better than the syrupy overly sweet taste of Dr. Pepper.

View attachment 484518

I'm a Pibb guy, always have been. When I lived in California I'd drive to Bakersfield just to buy some. And yes, the original was better than Pibb Xtra, but I still like it. In fact, I have one chilling in the freezer now...

7-Up Gold
circa 1988

View attachment 484538
Loved it!
I've never seen this one--I wonder if it was a limited release to certain test markets. Can't find anything to substantiate that however. What I could find was that Dr. Pepper developed it and 7up got it when the companies merged. Sounds like it was a sort of ginger ale that would compete with Vernor's. It went contrary to 7up's "never had it, never will" anti caffeine campaign of the time. It had caffeine listed in its ingredients.

Forum List

Back