Oil discoveries dispel "Peak Oil" as myth

Hydrocarbon lake finally confirmed on Titan | COSMOS magazine

"Cassini's visual and mapping instrument observed a lake – Ontario Lacus – in Titan's south polar region during a close Cassini flyby in December 2007. The lake is roughly 20,000 square kilometres in area, slightly larger than its namesake, North America's Lake Ontario. "

And it's a lake of "Fossil fuels"! Eeek! How did the velicoraptors get to Titan????
I get the distinct impression that you're an idiot

It's no impression. It's carved in stone.

The science quoted by the doomers below said we should have been out of oil 100 years ago. Amazing, Its a miracle we survived. God has obviously put more oil in the ground for the last hundred years.:lol:

In 1919 the director of the U.S. Bureau of Mines predicted that "within the next two to five years the oil fields of this country will reach their maximum production, and from that time on we will face an ever-increasing decline."

That same year, National Geographic magazine predicted that oil shales in Colorado and Utah would be exploited to produce oil, because the demand for oil could not be met by existing production.

In January 1920, Dr. George Otis Smith, Director of the United States Geological Survey, in commenting upon our oil supply stated: "The position of the United States in regard to oil can best be characterized as precarious."

In May 1920, Dr. Smith said: "Americans will have to depend on foreign sources or use less oil, or perhaps both.

We are, in fact, dependent on foreign oil

Total World oil production capacity in July 2010 increased by 820,000 b/d from June 2010 from 90.16 to 90.98 million b/d.

Increase in rate of use does not mean more magically appears to replace it. If I drive faster, i burn more gas. All that means is I run out faster.

Hence, why use oil faster to make windmills that produce less power per barrel used, it takes barrels of oils to make windmills. You can build more fossil plants that produce more energy with, we use less oil, building fossil fuel plants than by building windmills.

Hydrocarbon lake finally confirmed on Titan | COSMOS magazine

"Cassini's visual and mapping instrument observed a lake – Ontario Lacus – in Titan's south polar region during a close Cassini flyby in December 2007. The lake is roughly 20,000 square kilometres in area, slightly larger than its namesake, North America's Lake Ontario. "

And it's a lake of "Fossil fuels"! Eeek! How did the velicoraptors get to Titan????
I get the distinct impression that you're an idiot

Perfect clueless answer. Please tell us why hydrocarbons on Earth are necessarily different from those on other planets and moons.

Take your time, be sure to include "velicoraptors pressure cooked over geological time" in your non-answer

20071015_titan.jpg

Colorized blue hydrocarbon lake the size of Lake Ontario on a moon with a temperature at about -300F. How is it a cold cold Moon can make a hydrocarbon lake but a robust, warm, geologically active planet like Earth need dead dinos to do the same thing?

At some point, it will not be fiscally viable for oil companies to drill for oil in certain places unless the prices for oil skyrocket. Not only with U.S dependence on foreign oil, but China and India's as well going forward. There is only so much oil in the world that is realistically in reach, at some point we will need a renewable energy source or we will all be left in the dark.

Those who want us to stay addicted to petroleum like a drug user getting his fix is only asking for trouble in the future.

20071015_titan.jpg

Colorized blue hydrocarbon lake the size of Lake Ontario on a moon with a temperature at about -300F. How is it a cold cold Moon can make a hydrocarbon lake but a robust, warm, geologically active planet like Earth need dead dinos to do the same thing?
oopsie!

20071015_titan.jpg

oopsie!

Of course, should certain braindead individuals do some research on the chemical formulas of said hydrocarbons, they might have an answer. But research is a no-no to Conservatives, just listen to Limpbaugh, Insannity, and Beck-a-Beck-Beck-Beck.

20071015_titan.jpg

oopsie!

Of course, should certain braindead individuals do some research on the chemical formulas of said hydrocarbons, they might have an answer. But research is a no-no to Conservatives, just listen to Limpbaugh, Insannity, and Beck-a-Beck-Beck-Beck.

Chemical formula?????????????????????????????????????? Did you say "Chemical formula"?????????

Do you mean that ethane has a difference formula on Earth than on Titan?

Please explain how you think the chemical formula for ethane and other simple hydrocarbons difference from planet to planet? Does it have anything to do with "Man Made Global Warming?"

And I know for a fact that to the extent anyone else like Hannity, Beck or Limbaugh is even talking about this, I said it first.

Also, pretty fucking funny to hear someone who cannot site a single, repeatable laboratory experiment showing how a 200PPM increase in CO2 (on Earth, that is) causes a measurable increase in temperature talk about "research"

Last edited:
Worse, mocking peak because of this piddly find is the very definition of hubris.

No mdn2000 is truly stupid. Like remarkably stupid. He is too stupid to even realize that he has shit for brains. I am embarrassed for him, because he is too stupid to even get it.

Chemical formula?????????????????????????????????????? Did you say "Chemical formula"?????????

Please explain how you think the chemical formula for ethane and other simple hydrocarbons difference from planet to planet? Does it have anything to do with "Man Made Global Warming?"

And I know for a fact that to the extent anyone else like Hannity, Beck or Limbaugh is even talking about this, I said it first.

Also, pretty fucking funny to hear someone who cannot site a single, repeatable laboratory experiment showing how a 200PPM increase in CO2 (on Earth, that is) causes a measurable increase in temperature talk about "research"

Oh get over yourself. We have no idea what the chemical makeup of distant planets is. If we could do that we could detect cancer with a .015 second scan at every grocery store.
Scientists made the discovery using data from an instrument aboard NASA's Cassini spacecraft, currently in orbit around Saturn. The instrument identified chemically different materials based on the way they absorb and reflect infrared light.

Murky haze

Before Cassini, scientists thought Titan would have global oceans of methane, ethane and other light hydrocarbons. However, more than 40 flybys of Titan by Cassini show no such global oceans exist. They have revealed hundreds of dark lake-like features, but until now, we didn't know whether these features were liquid or simply solid, reflective material.

"This is the first observation that really pins down that Titan has a surface lake filled with liquid," said Bob Brown of the University of Arizona, Tucson. Brown leads a team of scientists controlling Cassini's visual and mapping instruments, who report their find today in the U.K. journal Nature.

Ethane and several other simple hydrocarbons have been identified in Titan's atmosphere, which consists of 95 per cent nitrogen, and five per cent methane and other hydrocarbons, including ethane. These are created by the breakdown of methane by sunlight, and some react further to form fine aerosol particles.

These hydrocarbons form a murky haze, which makes identifying materials on the surface difficult, but liquid ethane was identified using a technique

Pure speculation addled with premature optimism and self obsorbtion.

Last edited:

Oh get over yourself. We have no idea what the chemical makeup of distant planets is. If we could do that we could detect cancer with a .015 second scan at every grocery store.
Scientists made the discovery using data from an instrument aboard NASA's Cassini spacecraft, currently in orbit around Saturn. The instrument identified chemically different materials based on the way they absorb and reflect infrared light.

Murky haze

Before Cassini, scientists thought Titan would have global oceans of methane, ethane and other light hydrocarbons. However, more than 40 flybys of Titan by Cassini show no such global oceans exist. They have revealed hundreds of dark lake-like features, but until now, we didn't know whether these features were liquid or simply solid, reflective material.

"This is the first observation that really pins down that Titan has a surface lake filled with liquid," said Bob Brown of the University of Arizona, Tucson. Brown leads a team of scientists controlling Cassini's visual and mapping instruments, who report their find today in the U.K. journal Nature.

Ethane and several other simple hydrocarbons have been identified in Titan's atmosphere, which consists of 95 per cent nitrogen, and five per cent methane and other hydrocarbons, including ethane. These are created by the breakdown of methane by sunlight, and some react further to form fine aerosol particles.

These hydrocarbons form a murky haze, which makes identifying materials on the surface difficult, but liquid ethane was identified using a technique

Are you THAT Stupid????

You should just put yourself on ignore. I can handle only so much stupid in one thread and you just pinned the meter

At some point, it will not be fiscally viable for oil companies to drill for oil in certain places unless the prices for oil skyrocket. Not only with U.S dependence on foreign oil, but China and India's as well going forward. There is only so much oil in the world that is realistically in reach, at some point we will need a renewable energy source or we will all be left in the dark.

Those who want us to stay addicted to petroleum like a drug user getting his fix is only asking for trouble in the future.

The only thing close to renewable is Nuclear energy. Ask yourself, whats better, using a 100 gallons of oil to build a nuclear power plant that can power Los Angeles or using 100,000 barrels of oil to make 1,000 windmills that could never power Los Angeles.

Wind turbines, Solar, use too much oil to make and they need to be replaced more often than Nuclear power plants.

Murky haze

Are you THAT Stupid????

You should just put yourself on ignore. I can handle only so much stupid in one thread and you just pinned the meter
Oh damn! ROFLMAO..!!!! That's funny! Put yourself on ignore. I did my part and ignored this dip a while ago, but dayum! I'm glad you had quoted that though. Funny stuff and a beautiful retort. Wish I could rep ya for it.

And the answer to your question is yes... yes they are. Apparently chemistry is a subjective science when looking at another planet or moon. It can't be objective... that'd be discriminatory and unfair that we inflict our physical realities on the rest of the universe.

And the USA exports over 1.5 million bbls oil daily. That means what?
I seem to recall one of the chicken little cult reminding me most of that was in specialty oil products like fuel and solvents, not fuel.

Lots of WD-40.

Increase in rate of use does not mean more magically appears to replace it. If I drive faster, i burn more gas. All that means is I run out faster.

:eusa_eh:

Is anyone arguing that fossil fuel is a renewable resource?

No.

The arguement from the "Peak Oil" kooks has been, for the past 30 years, that any year now, fossil fuels will suddenly disappear.

And every year for the past 30 years, they've been proven to be kooks, and they all agree that "the SKY ISN'T FALLING.....YET! but that if you wait another 5 years, just wait, AGAIN, their predictions will eventually come true."

Despite being wrong, over and over again, they love playing chicken-little.

Its a symptom of attention whoring (younger generations have never heard the 30-year-old stale tale, and university professors hate to change their lectures), and severe symptoms of mental illness that manifests itself in all OCD.

Forum List

Back