Obama orders hospitals to grant same-sex couples visitation rights

Although, I am not opposed to hospitals allowing same sex couples visitation rights, this is just one more attempt of politicians to enforce compliance of political correctness.

Obama has no right to demand this... once again he is overstepping his bounds.

Immie

Last edited:
This actually helps the hospitals as the visitation issue was probably in part an insurance issue, i.e. who can have access. This eliminates that issue.

Although, I am not opposed to hospitals allowing same sex couples visitation rights, this is just one more attempt of politicians to enforce compliance of political correctness.

Immie

if the hospitals take government money then the gov gets to dictates their policie where it sees fit. they can always operate idependently.

Immie

I attempt to remain neutral on the gay marriage or civil bonds between gay partners.

I remember about 10 years ago I saw a story of a gay couple that had been together for over 20 years. One of them was in ICU and dying. Had no blood relatives that were interested in visiting and the partner of more than 20 years was not allowed to visit. It was sad and inexcusable. It was then that I began to believe that gay couples should have a recognized partnership by the state. They are tax payers and have good and bad within their ranks like hetero sexuals. We really need to get beyond this issue. It's a religious issue and should not be political imho.

What's BS is the idea that they couldn't before. :cuckoo:

I went to visit my adult daughter (who has a different last name from me) in the hospital a couple of weeks ago. Walked right up to the information desk, bold as brass, and asked them for the room number. Didn't tell them who I was, or why I was visiting. They told me where to find her, and I marched to the elevator, rode it to the seventh floor, and wandered down the hall, free as a bird, right into her room. No maitre'd, no velvet rope, no bouncers, and no one asking me about my sexual orientation. Had I chosen to, I could just as easily have popped into any of the other rooms and visited with the complete strangers staying there. I've gone to visit neighbors, friends from my social club, and acquaintances at all of the various hospitals in town at one time or another, with exactly the same result. The hospitals have stringent security where children are concerned, but not for adult patients.

This actually helps the hospitals as the visitation issue was probably in part an insurance issue, i.e. who can have access. This eliminates that issue.

No, it's not. It's not an issue at all. It's a hospital, not a prison.

Now, if the PATIENT doesn't want to see someone, then I assume the hospital will restrict access, and I would further assume that if the patient is incapacitated, the next-of-kin has the right to request restricted access, which just goes to show why you want to iron out such details before you're incapacitated. But that's an issue with your family members, not with the hospital. I'm impressed when the hospital staff has the time and energy to act like they care about your ILLNESS, let alone your visitors.

I went to visit my adult daughter (who has a different last name from me) in the hospital a couple of weeks ago. Walked right up to the information desk, bold as brass, and asked them for the room number. Didn't tell them who I was, or why I was visiting. They told me where to find her, and I marched to the elevator, rode it to the seventh floor, and wandered down the hall, free as a bird, right into her room. No maitre'd, no velvet rope, no bouncers, and no one asking me about my sexual orientation. Had I chosen to, I could just as easily have popped into any of the other rooms and visited with the complete strangers staying there. I've gone to visit neighbors, friends from my social club, and acquaintances at all of the various hospitals in town at one time or another, with exactly the same result. The hospitals have stringent security where children are concerned, but not for adult patients.

In ICU? I find this hard to believe.

Me too.

cool story bro

Immie

Bingo.... over-dramatic showboating... nothing more... but that's what Obama knows best

Immie

Bingo.... over-dramatic showboating... nothing more... but that's what Obama knows best

its only for hosps that receive gov funds

Immie

if the hospitals take government money then the gov gets to dictates their policie where it sees fit. they can always operate idependently.

So?

I'm currently unemployed and taking unemployment insurance. Does that give Obama the right to tell me the kind of TP I can use to wipe my butt?

You probably drive on public roads, meaning you get public assistance... does that give Obama the right to tell you what kind of TP you can use to wipe yours?

Immie

Very hard to believe...and then there's TRUE stories like this one:

New Visitation Policy at Accused Florida Hospital | News | Advocate.com

Glad to see this hospital final CHANGED its policy...but it took bad publicity and a legal case to get it to do so.

Immie

So?

I'm currently unemployed and taking unemployment insurance. Does that give Obama the right to tell me the kind of TP I can use to wipe my butt?

You probably drive on public roads, meaning you get public assistance... does that give Obama the right to tell you what kind of TP you can use to wipe yours?

Immie

analogy fail. I helped pay for those roads with taxes and you helped pay for your unemployment insurance when you used to work.

Forum List

Back