Now thats an assault rifle

acb.jpg

Interesting weapon. I especially like the air burst capability.

If they can get the upgrades they want to this prototype weapon,, this would do a lot of good for forward deployed special forces units.

Zombies got no chance

They tried this type of platform before both with rotary 40mm and semi-auto 20mm programmable grenades. The 40mm grenade is far beyond long in the tooth. Many moons ago while serving in the US Army I was issued an M16/M203. We used to shout, "Taste the rainbow!" when we went to the range because of the extremely arcing trajectory of 40mm grenades. Actually, it was more like, "Taste the rainbow, motherfuckers!" but I digress. It's 2020 AD, and no plasma rifles? What!

They tried this type of platform before both with rotary 40mm and semi-auto 20mm programmable grenades. The 40mm grenade is far beyond long in the tooth. Many moons ago while serving in the US Army I was issued an M16/M203. We used to shout, "Taste the rainbow!" when we went to the range because of the extremely arcing trajectory of 40mm grenades. Actually, it was more like, "Taste the rainbow, motherfuckers!" but I digress. It's 2020 AD, and no plasma rifles? What!
They have 3 different 40 mm types. Low velocity, medium velocity and high velocity. You're apparently familiar with only the low velocity 40mmX46.
The 40mmX51 medium and 40mmX53 high velocity have almost line of sight, and a range of 800 yards.

The 203 is a piece of junk, slow to fire, poor sights horrible ergonomics. On the other hand, I LOVED the M-79, you could use that looping trajectory to get as many as six rounds in the air in area fire before the first impacted.

They have 3 different 40 mm types. Low velocity, medium velocity and high velocity. You're apparently familiar with only the low velocity 40mmX46.
The 40mmX51 medium and 40mmX53 high velocity have almost line of sight, and a range of 800 yards.

It said in the link that this has an almost flat trajectory out to 900 yards, according to the OP's link. This is a hell of a badass weapon.

That sure beats the old break-down single shot M79 launchers we had when I was in the Army. I loved the way they sounded when you let off a round.

The 203 is a piece of junk, slow to fire, poor sights horrible ergonomics. On the other hand, I LOVED the M-79, you could use that looping trajectory to get as many as six rounds in the air in area fire before the first impacted.

I used both, and preferred the 203.

It was always "right there", no need to juggle two different weapons. I could lay down some suppressing fire, lob off a grenade, and return to suppressing fire.

I used both, and preferred the 203.

It was always "right there", no need to juggle two different weapons. I could lay down some suppressing fire, lob off a grenade, and return to suppressing fire.
When you carried the M-79, your other weapon was a M-1911A1. No juggling needed. Your only job was grenadier. I’ll take 40mm suppressing fire over 5.56 suppressing fire any day. I could fire HE, HEAT, WP, Buckshot and Fletchet.

When you carried the M-79, your other weapon was a M-1911A1. No juggling needed. Your only job was grenadier

Sorry, not my experience.

I carried an M-79, and an M-16A1. And at about the time they took our M-79s, they gave us M-16A2 with the M-203.

And FYI, I also had an M1911 in addition to the other weapons. that our team had (like the M-60).

Myself, I could not imagine a grenadier being sent out with an M-79 and no other personal weapon. Sounds like suicide to me.

And FYI, Like Chuz Life, USMC. 0311 from 1983-1993. Held every position in a Marine Rifle Squad. Even back before the M-249 SAW, when the "Automatic Rifleman" just had double the ammunition of a regular Rifleman. Even trained in the M-202 FLASH and the Bangalore Torpedo.

Try explaining those systems to anybody that had never seen or heard of them before.

Sorry, not my experience.

I carried an M-79, and an M-16A1. And at about the time they took our M-79s, they gave us M-16A2 with the M-203.

And FYI, I also had an M1911 in addition to the other weapons. that our team had (like the M-60).

Myself, I could not imagine a grenadier being sent out with an M-79 and no other personal weapon. Sounds like suicide to me.

And FYI, Like Chuz Life, USMC. 0311 from 1983-1993. Held every position in a Marine Rifle Squad. Even back before the M-249 SAW, when the "Automatic Rifleman" just had double the ammunition of a regular Rifleman. Even trained in the M-202 FLASH and the Bangalore Torpedo.

Try explaining those systems to anybody that had never seen or heard of them before.
In the Army during Vietnam when I served, the grenadier carried a M-79 and a pistol. I can’t conceive of needing more. The 79 was capable of direct and indirect fire and the range of available rounds made it far more versatile than a rifle. When I served the second time, they tried to stick me with a 203 and I hated it. I refused to carry it and swapped it out for a M-60.

Forum List

Back