Now rice is being blamed for "climate change"

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
So let's ban one of the cheapest foods that the most impoverished rely on, to solve the "climate change" problem.

I'm pretty sure Asia will go along with this. :cuckoo:

"The effects of changing climate—rising temperatures, more frequent droughts, floods, and intense typhoons—are devastating rice farms and farmer livelihoods. However, rice production itself has an impact on the climate: significant greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions—methane, nitrous oxide (N2O) and carbon dioxide (CO2) are byproducts of rice farming and the rice value chain.

Rice is responsible for 10% of global methane emissions, and in Southeast Asia, one the world’s major rice bowls, rice cultivation accounts for as much as 25-33% of the region’s methane emissions."

Greening the rice we eat

I'm ready to call the CC weenies terrorists at this point.

Cue up the "Always has been" meme...

1681684507205.jpeg

Now rice is being blamed for "climate change"​

Check spelling OP .
It was Race . Not Rice .

Whites reflect too much heat .

Now rice is being blamed for "climate change"​

Check spelling OP .
It was Race . Not Rice .

Whites reflect too much heat .
Rice comes in a variety of co!ors and types not just white rice. Your attempt at humor I suppose...

So let's ban one of the cheapest foods that the most impoverished rely on, to solve the "climate change" problem.

"The effects of changing climate—rising temperatures, more frequent droughts, floods, and intense typhoons—are devastating rice farms and farmer livelihoods. However, rice production itself has an impact on the climate: significant greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions—methane, nitrous oxide (N2O) and carbon dioxide (CO2) are byproducts of rice farming and the rice value chain.

Rice is responsible for 10% of global methane emissions, and in Southeast Asia, one the world’s major rice bowls, rice cultivation accounts for as much as 25-33% of the region’s methane emissions."

Greening the rice we eat
From your link:
The good news is that climate-smart agriculture (CSA) solutions are available to “green” the rice we eat: these practices can increase productivity, improve climate resilience and reduce GHGs. Some of these approaches are in practice already, with encouraging results that hold promise for application elsewhere.

Rice comes in a variety of co!ors and types not just white rice. Your attempt at humor I suppose...
My success at modest and instant humour .
Your failure to reproduce the boring Wiki entry on Rice .

What a big baby you are .Is it true they named you The Sniveler?

My success at modest and instant humour .
Your failure to reproduce the boring Wiki entry on Rice .

What a big baby you are .Is it true they named you The Sniveler?
The Sniveler? Not bad actually I've been called worse.

If you keep this up, like I did my abusive wife, I may fall in love with you.

Rice has been cultivated in Asia for 12,000 years. 5,000 years earlier than the first cultivated wheat in the Middle East.

If cultivated rice were harmful to the environment, we probably would have noticed by now.

Greening the rice we eat

There was no mention of banning rice, only making production more environmentally friendly

Rice has been cultivated in Asia for 12,000 years. 5,000 years earlier than the first cultivated wheat in the Middle East.

If cultivated rice were harmful to the environment, we probably would have noticed by now.

But there's a difference between cultivating rice for a few hundred people and hundreds of millions of people. It's the modern mass production of rice that is the issue.

As I posted earlier, the article never proposed banning rice, so I'm not sure what the OP is crapping on about. It just points out that rice production contributes greenhouse gases and that certain changes in production could significantly reduce the harmful impacts.

What the article doesn't mention is the fact that it's probably already too late to stop devastating human-caused climate disaster. We're approaching the climate shock stage, which could happen within the next decade and even as early as 2023 - 2025 as we enter the ENSO cycle.

From your link:
The good news is that climate-smart agriculture (CSA) solutions are available to “green” the rice we eat: these practices can increase productivity, improve climate resilience and reduce GHGs. Some of these approaches are in practice already, with encouraging results that hold promise for application elsewhere.

Climate-smart agriculture is a pipe dream. It would never reach the production levels necessary to feed as many people as traditional farming methods currently do. Just as wind and solar would never attain the levels of energy-production the world gets through oil, gas, and coal.

Climate-smart agriculture is a pipe dream. It would never reach the production levels necessary to feed as many people as traditional farming methods currently do. Just as wind and solar would never attain the levels of energy-production the world gets through oil, gas, and coal.
The claim there is that it would INCREASE productivity.

The claim there is that it would INCREASE productivity.

Doubtful. It's like organic farming: The production is lower and the price is higher.

Like I said, it's a pipe dream.

Doubtful. It's like organic farming: The production is lower and the price is higher.

Like I said, it's a pipe dream.
I was unaware you got to pick and choose which part of an article to believe and which to reject. It that how it works in your universe?

There was nothing in that article about reducing rice production yet almost every response talked about starvation. You did nothing to correct anyone. Why is that? Aren't you honest?

Last edited:

Greening the rice we eat
From your linked article:

What are some of the climate-smart agriculture solutions applicable to rice?

- Changing rice production practices:
Adopting CSA practices such as Alternate Wetting and Drying water management combined with good agriculture practices, such as Vietnam’s 1M/5R, have shown the potential to cut methane and nitrous oxide emissions significantly. These approaches include a package of improving irrigation water delivery, land leveling, and use of improved seeds (e.g. drought-, pest-, and flood-resistant high yielding varieties), improved tillage practices, soil testing combined with improved fertilizer application, and farmer training, often facilitated by digital technology.

The successful application of these practices has been demonstrated by the Vietnam Sustainable Agriculture Transformation Project, which supported the adoption by almost a quarter million rice farm households of the government’s 1M-5R program in the Mekong Delta (one “Must” of using improved seeds and five “Reductions” in irrigation water, seeding rate, nitrogen fertilizer, pesticides, and post-harvest losses in drying and milling). The program increased farmer yields by 10-18%, increased farmer profits by about 28.6%, and reduced GHG emissions by 7.3 tons CO2eq per hectare per year, while lowering water use by 15-40%.

Implementing the 1M5R approach under the Vietnam Sustainable Agriculture Transformation Project in Trung Thanh Commune, Co Do District, Can Tho Province. © Quynh Van Pham
Similarly, the China Climate Smart Staple Crop Production Project (CSSCP) promoted farmer adoption of a CSA package for rice, consisting of improved seeds, water services, and good fertilizer, pesticide, tillage, and rice straw management practices. Farmers in Huaiyuan County, Anhui Province, where rice is a key crop, benefited from an increase in rice yields of 22%, reduced GHG emissions by about 2.9 t CO2equivalent/hectare, while cutting fertilizer and water use by 30% and 38% respectively, thus increasing farmer incomes. Building on the lessons learned, the CSSCP developed technical guidelines to enable the scaling up of these CSA packages to other regions in China.

Forum List

Back