Not invited to my niece's wedding

Maybe Andy Warhol was right when he said everyone will get their 15 minutes of fame. It seems like it's always the bride that insists on a show-biz wedding in hard times that probably costs more than a doublewide. What do you get, some cold chicken, cheap champagne a couple of fights in the parking lot and cake in the face that hasn't been funny for twenty years.

Last edited:
That sucks. I'd just bluntly ask and let the world explode around it.
That's where I'm at. If you've been as close as you claim, you should've been invited. If there was a reason they weren't inviting aunts and uncles, they probably should've done a little pre-emptive damage control and explained why prior to the wedding.

And ask your niece, not your sister...

That's where I'm at. If you've been as close as you claim, you should've been invited. If there was a reason they weren't inviting aunts and uncles, they probably should've done a little pre-emptive damage control and explained why prior to the wedding.

Ask both and send flowers with a card.....thinking of you on your special day.

Our family is really close and we always have been. I've been a huge part of my nieces and nephews lives since they were born. Well my youngest neice just got married and I was not invited to the wedding. Neither were her uncles from the other side of the family, but they weren't nearly as close to the kids as I was. In fact, when they were young they called me their favorite uncle. She said she wanted a "small" wedding but my parents were invited and said there were tons of people there, but no uncles or aunts.

I just find that really funny and I feel that if I ever get married I shouldn't invite my neice or her family to my wedding. You don't invite me, I don't invite you. I don't see that as wrong. I see that as fair. It just really surprised me and hit me wrong for some reason. I wasn't targeted as the ONLY person that wasn't invited I just don't understand why an extended family member that spent so much time with the kids when they were younger would be shunned at the wedding.

I guess what really surprised me is that my sister, who paid for the wedding, was perfectly fine with not inviting her own brother to her daughters wedding. That was a little weird to me. And my sisters birthday is in a few days, and I had to buy her a birthday gift. I almost skipped this year.
So you object to their choice to have a small wedding. Were you willing to help pay for a larger wedding so your little feelings wouldn't get hurt?

So you object to their choice to have a small wedding. Were you willing to help pay for a larger wedding so your little feelings wouldn't get hurt?

Where did he state that he objected to a small wedding?

He said that, given the close relationship he's had with his niece, he was surprised he wasn't at the wedding.

Only someone who's never known a close familial relationship would make a comment as ignorant as yours. How sad for you...

Doesn't sound like a small wedding, as he said: "but my parents were invited and said there were tons of people there".

You really should learn how to read.

Yea he's a stupid fucking liberal. Reading comprehension isn't his strongpoint.

Stay in school, kids.

My sister paid for the wedding, that's why I want to ask her. Her and her daughter planned this for months.

And they can hardly pretend they're poor. They own a house in the mountains of northern GA and a house on the gulf coast. They are both employed full time and own multiple vehicles of which are many years newer than my newest car.

I wouldn't have required anything but a plastic chair to sit in. Hell I would have brought my own food, just to get to see my neice walk down the isle. But noooooo.....

Last edited:
My sister paid for the wedding, that's why I want to ask her. Her and her daughter planned this for months.

And they can hardly pretend they're poor. They own a house in the mountains of northern GA and a house on the gulf coast. They are both employed full time and own multiple vehicles of which are many years newer than my newest car.

I wouldn't have required anything but a plastic chair to sit in. Hell I would have brought my own food, just to get to see my neice walk down the isle. But noooooo.....
Are you still whining about this?

Sorry to hear, but that kind of thing, happens.

A relative went through what you went, but then....after a short time, the couple that got married, divorced.

So....I guess there is some vindication there. Oh well.;)
Skyee. Ever done the married thang ? Carpet rodentz ?

Our family is really close and we always have been. I've been a huge part of my nieces and nephews lives since they were born. Well my youngest neice just got married and I was not invited to the wedding. Neither were her uncles from the other side of the family, but they weren't nearly as close to the kids as I was. In fact, when they were young they called me their favorite uncle. She said she wanted a "small" wedding but my parents were invited and said there were tons of people there, but no uncles or aunts.

I just find that really funny and I feel that if I ever get married I shouldn't invite my neice or her family to my wedding. You don't invite me, I don't invite you. I don't see that as wrong. I see that as fair. It just really surprised me and hit me wrong for some reason. I wasn't targeted as the ONLY person that wasn't invited I just don't understand why an extended family member that spent so much time with the kids when they were younger would be shunned at the wedding.

I guess what really surprised me is that my sister, who paid for the wedding, was perfectly fine with not inviting her own brother to her daughters wedding. That was a little weird to me. And my sisters birthday is in a few days, and I had to buy her a birthday gift. I almost skipped this year.
The tit for tat thing you said is just childish. If you want your niece at your wedding then invite her. If you don’t then don’t. If she didn’t invite you then she had reason. Why not just respect that and send her love and best wishes. Perhaps it’s the petty tit for tat side of you that caused the shun? Do you think politics played a part in it?

Too much information.
If everyone aired their grievances here, the server would explode.

Hun, it sounds like the issue isn't you or how close that you are with your niece. It sounds more like a covid limit or a money issue or maybe they didn't want one of the other uncles there for a reason. Inviting you, would mean that all of the uncles would have to be invited. Be happy for your niece if she is happily married......you will have other celebrations with her.

My son got married Wednesday in a private ceremony in Boulder co...no one invited..their choice...I would have liked to have seen my only child married but this is what they wanted..didn't ask us for a dime

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm
My son got married Wednesday in a private ceremony in Boulder co...no one invited..their choice...I would have liked to have seen my only child married but this is what they wanted..didn't ask us for a dime
Sound's like a wife's and I's wedding. It was the second time around for both of us. Just us, the witnesses and a judge. Then we threw a BBQ for friends and family stressing that we didn't need or want any wedding presents. A good time was had by all.

Forum List

Back