Not invited to my niece's wedding

I don't recall if I replied to this thread when it first came out, but if I did I know this is what I said...

1637535440950.png

Our family is really close and we always have been. I've been a huge part of my nieces and nephews lives since they were born. Well my youngest neice just got married and I was not invited to the wedding. Neither were her uncles from the other side of the family, but they weren't nearly as close to the kids as I was. In fact, when they were young they called me their favorite uncle. She said she wanted a "small" wedding but my parents were invited and said there were tons of people there, but no uncles or aunts.

I just find that really funny and I feel that if I ever get married I shouldn't invite my neice or her family to my wedding. You don't invite me, I don't invite you. I don't see that as wrong. I see that as fair. It just really surprised me and hit me wrong for some reason. I wasn't targeted as the ONLY person that wasn't invited I just don't understand why an extended family member that spent so much time with the kids when they were younger would be shunned at the wedding.

I guess what really surprised me is that my sister, who paid for the wedding, was perfectly fine with not inviting her own brother to her daughters wedding. That was a little weird to me. And my sisters birthday is in a few days, and I had to buy her a birthday gift. I almost skipped this year.
Halmark is delighted. You "had to".
Did your A/P license have to do with previous military (have to) experience ?

Our family is really close and we always have been. I've been a huge part of my nieces and nephews lives since they were born. Well my youngest neice just got married and I was not invited to the wedding. Neither were her uncles from the other side of the family, but they weren't nearly as close to the kids as I was. In fact, when they were young they called me their favorite uncle. She said she wanted a "small" wedding but my parents were invited and said there were tons of people there, but no uncles or aunts.

I just find that really funny and I feel that if I ever get married I shouldn't invite my neice or her family to my wedding. You don't invite me, I don't invite you. I don't see that as wrong. I see that as fair. It just really surprised me and hit me wrong for some reason. I wasn't targeted as the ONLY person that wasn't invited I just don't understand why an extended family member that spent so much time with the kids when they were younger would be shunned at the wedding.

I guess what really surprised me is that my sister, who paid for the wedding, was perfectly fine with not inviting her own brother to her daughters wedding. That was a little weird to me. And my sisters birthday is in a few days, and I had to buy her a birthday gift. I almost skipped this year.
I'm so sorry you were excluded from your niece's wedding. I feel your pain, but I hope you have the strength to let it be, knowing that you did nothing to be excluded from something so important to you as your family. I could cry. May your love for family help you forgive and forget your niece's unfortunate oversight that gave you so much pain. I lived 1500 miles away from my nieces and nephews for over 40 years. I loved their parents, though, and when I retired, I got to meet some of the ones whose marriages didn't survive 10 years. Sorrow changes puerile mistakes, even if they don't learn from it. May your healing of their ignorance be full, and may your inner love for them shine through and bless you in the next life.

I love weddings.

When my daughter and her fiance finally get married, I'm pretty sure I'll be droppin' big coin. She's Daddy's little girl of course so, as long as she doesn't want me to pay for everyone's air fares and hotel accommodations, I'm good with whoever she wants to invite. It's her day, not mine.

We have a large extended family on my Mom's side, but there's literally no one left from Dad's side; my brother and I and that's it. My brother's got a step son who we all adore, but as far as a bloodline goes, it ends with my daughter. I'm somewhat close with my cousins on Mom's side, but I've only ever been invited to one wedding; that of my cousin Karen who is pretty much the same age as I am; we've always been very close...

Forum List

Back