Need Help!!!

I would say no because your facebook page has nothing to do with your employment application. If they think otherwise find a different job to apply for, Stephanie.

thank you dear

This is a common practice so just be careful what you have on FB or any other social site or limit which ones you participate in. But they do go and look.

I hardly go on face book, but I do have some political cartoons on it..

damn the luck...:lol:

While applying for a job they have asked me to ok them looking at my social network, like Facebook, twitter, etc

has anyone encountered this? and what do you think about it and should I ok it or not?

I've never seen this before and I've applied for a lot of jobs over the Internet. It's how I got my job at the schools.

thanks all answers will be appreciated

ALL HR's these days look at Facebook, Linkedin, Google your name, etc. We even have a "Social Media Policy" in my company. Even if your privacy settings are to your liking - I wouldn't have anything more than a "G" rating on a Facebook page - or elsewhere on the web - if job searching.

thank you, good advice

[MENTION=1668]Stephanie[/MENTION]
Try googling your name and see what you come up with.

And two FB accounts may be a good thing, one which is private for family only.

I'm afraid to google myself, scary:lol:
I'll try it though..

I signed up with face book when it the "thing" and have hardly used it...But have more recently mostly only to talk to friends..I think I should be ok...but I do have political cartoons and you know me....lol

thank you dear

Last edited:
Stephanie, (1) how much do you want the job? (2) Go through your social media and limit what prospective employers may find objectionable. (3) Unfortunately, I don't know if lawsuits are going to be able to limit potential employer snooping.

I don't think you or anyone should have to go through this, but . . .

thank you jake, I only have a face book account and I have been looking at it to see if anything is objectionable...I don't think so, but who knows..

I would imagine any comments positive about criminality, drugs and alcohol dependency would be the first things on their list.

Some may actually have secret agenda about politics or causes or religion. They shouldn't but you won't know unless you have been working for them for a while.

Best of luck.

I'll try it though..

I signed up with face book when it the "thing" and have hardly used it...But have more recently mostly only to talk to friends..I think I should be ok...

thank you dear

When I googled my name I came up with pictures of flamingos ...from my FB account! :lol:

Stephanie, (1) how much do you want the job? (2) Go through your social media and limit what prospective employers may find objectionable. (3) Unfortunately, I don't know if lawsuits are going to be able to limit potential employer snooping.

thank you jake, I only have a face book account and I have been looking at it to see if anything is objectionable...I don't think so, but who knows..

I would imagine any comments positive about criminality, drugs and alcohol dependency would be the first things on their list.

Some may actually have secret agenda about politics or causes or religion. They shouldn't but you won't know unless you have been working for them for a while.

Best of luck.

Thank you dear...I'm going for it, so I'll let you all know how it went..

I'll try it though..

I signed up with face book when it the "thing" and have hardly used it...But have more recently mostly only to talk to friends..I think I should be ok...

thank you dear

When I googled my name I came up with pictures of flamingos ...from my FB account! :lol:

That's funny..lol

While applying for a job they have asked me to ok them looking at my social network, like Facebook, twitter, etc

has anyone encountered this? and what do you think about it and should I ok it or not?

I've never seen this before and I've applied for a lot of jobs over the Internet. It's how I got my job at the schools.

Find somebody else to work for. That employer wantsa you soul.

they all do. Employers started to snoop in the social networks from the moment they came along. So do the colleges and universities.

This one asked permission, which does not mean that they did not do it BEFORE the permission was received - to compare.
True. Problem is there is not much they can see if the privacy settings allow only friends to see what's there.

Well I work for a very good company, and it's owned by local people that started it out as a small place in early 1960's. They've grown world wide....and I think I'd be safe if they look at my facebook page or anything else....they're as anti-Obama as I am, so hopefully I'd be safe! :)

But others are right, you're going to find this happening alot now. I think it's wrong, but not sure how you can avoid it. If you can prove you didn't get a job because of it, that would be great too. Good luck!!!

This is a common practice so just be careful what you have on FB or any other social site or limit which ones you participate in. But they do go and look.

I just tell them I don't use Facebook or Twitter so I don't have any accounts there. In my case it's true.

Find somebody else to work for. That employer wantsa you soul.

they all do. Employers started to snoop in the social networks from the moment they came along. So do the colleges and universities.

This one asked permission, which does not mean that they did not do it BEFORE the permission was received - to compare.
True. Problem is there is not much they can see if the privacy settings allow only friends to see what's there.

I'm not much of a joiner. I actually tried Facebook out a few years ago, and encouraged others to do so. Then I heard that identities were being stolen, and since I'd already been there, done that, with people who tried to use our life savings for retirement to buy their house in California with, I decided the information people glean from Facebook seldom works in your favor, so I cancelled my account and have never regretted it. Our good fortune was we had a long-time bank that sent us a notification of our home "purchase," and held back the funds until we immediately responded that we had purchased no home there and were not moving there. We have our suspicions who did it, too. Some people in a restaurant were looking over my husband's shoulder at his social security number, and the rest of the information they needed was on our check. The next time we went to the restaurant the two who were looking weren't there any more. Not certain, but that's the only time I noticed people looking for more information than was due them for simply paying with a check. They weren't counting on us having a good bank that notices odd purchases that didn't fit our profile as everyday citizens.

It's a good thing, too. Just a few years into our retirement, we've needed those savings just to live off of, and with dementia in our household, other funds are not known to us anymore. We've had 3 incidents of severe overcharges and equipment thefts from people doing small repairs around our property. They get around the senior abuse bit by asking to borrow equipment, then not returning it. The sheriff found one of the borrowed items at a pawn shop. It's a cold, cruel world for people who worked a lifetime to have comfort in their old age, who gave all to their communities, and then are taken advantage of by sheisters who game the system and ensure a huge loss to their victims, while they're pretending to be a family friend with one hand and robbing you blind with the other.

Facebook gets hacked. I left.

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it..even if it meant not getting the job. What do they want to see next? What color toilet paper I use? It's none of their business what I do, who I talk to, when I am not at work.

Hell no. Your personal life and privacy is yours. What you say or do on your own time should have nothing to do with your job.

i got to call bs on this....i want an extensive background search on anyone...cna's coming in contact with my mother....has nothing to do with wanting anyone's soul...i dont want a dumbass who posts drunken pictures etc or worse has a political or religious agenda that they go on about all the time...

you may trust people who have not earned it...i dont....and i will take advantage of any avenue that protects me...including business wise....you are a fool not to

It appears to me that they want to profile you..........By looking at your internet sites..............

If they want to profile you, then let them give you a test for employment. Or examples of your opinions on topics..............Perhaps they are worried about Legal Liabilities on the Net...............

Getting sued for employees comments or something............

I would not give them permission.................You tell them that while it might be on the net, it contains PRIVATE FAMILY CONVERSATIONS to which only those are allowed to see...........password coded content to family..................

Then tell them to simply ask about you in a test or opinion quiz or something.

If they are asking for your password and access to your account, politely tell them that to do so is a violation of the End User License Agreement and that you have to respectfully decline.

If they just want to read....that is something you will have to decide. To Me, I wouldn't care because I don't have anything on My Facebook that I would consider 'employer inappropriate', but I would decline, and then decline the job.

I can understand a background check for criminal purposes, but if this is the level of trust you give your employees, I find I cannot in good conscious work for that kind of person. However, that is strictly Me and you have to decide how badly you want the job.

I just tell them I don't use Facebook or Twitter so I don't have any accounts there. In my case it's true.
If a person does have an account, to say you don't is lying on an application. Grounds for termination and a bad mark on your work history.

Forum List

Back